The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks pretty tasty. Have not had many NEIPAs from the midwest (just a few from Toppling Goliath) but good to see you have some options in that genre.

I was shocked at the depth of mango flavor. Spectacular...honestly don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a “fruity “ beer as much as this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With two 5 gallon carboys fermenting we need to get to work on the kegs already in the kegerator to open up a spot - I'm doing my part with a glass of the Boxing Bear coffee chocolate milk stout.
Boxing-Bear-Coff-Choc-Milk-Stout.jpg

Wanted to buy some beer at the supermarket the other day.
Other than domestic crap (Bud, Coors, etc), the very large section was filled with around 90% IPAs. WTF.
When did the world forget about other styles of beer? There are so many, yet one style has become ridiculously dominant.
There still are specialty shops and some local taprooms have a decent variety, though even these have 3 IPAs for every other type.

Other than domestic crap (Bud, Coors, etc), the very large section was filled with around 90% IPAs. WTF.
When did the world forget about other styles of beer? There are so many, yet one style has become ridiculously dominant.
There still are specialty shops and some local taprooms have a decent variety, though even these have 3 IPAs for every other type.
[emoji119] Preach! [emoji119]

Not a fan of much hop bitterness in my beer. I'm thankful I live in a beer town (PDX), so I'm more likely to find something I like in a store or on tap, but the IPAs are still dominant.

I had the same complaint earlier in this thread somewhere...but it's true. Shelf space is dominated by IPA's or some form of wheat beer. While IPA's do tend to vary wildly in the final flavor, there is no way to know what you're getting till you taste them...which can be exhausting. lol

Brewers, retailers, restaurants, etc. are gonna go with what sells.
IPAs are selling. That means in some sense it's what the public wants. Or thinks they want?
With all the grain, hops and yeast variety out there, I can't see locking it down on IPA...
I want to blame millennials for this!
If I were stuck with one variety, it would probably be Belgian. Talk about a huge range of flavor. No need to add a bunch of fruit, either.

Brewers, retailers, restaurants, etc. are gonna go with what sells.
IPAs are selling. That means in some sense it's what the public wants. Or thinks they want?
With all the grain, hops and yeast variety out there, I can't see locking it down on IPA...
I want to blame millennials for this!
If I were stuck with one variety, it would probably be Belgian. Talk about a huge range of flavor. No need to add a bunch of fruit, either.
Yeah, when I go to Binny's, I purposely search for anything that is NOT an IPA.....I do like a good Octoberfest.

[emoji119] Preach! [emoji119]

Not a fan of much hop bitterness in my beer. I'm thankful I live in a beer town (PDX), so I'm more likely to find something I like in a store or on tap, but the IPAs are still dominant.
I too live in the Beervana known as Portland. I agree 1000% on the whole bitter beer IPA thing. I've been sick of it for a decade. I hold out hope that the masses will get over the IPA fixation and drink other styles. Still, like you said, it's pretty easy to find good non-IPA beer in Portland. I hold up Bailey's Taproom as a great example of how to curate a well rounded beer selection, one that satisfies the hopheads and the rest of us.

I get that some have suffered from some form of hop fatigue - I've a few friends that feel the same. While I still enjoy my sours, stout, browns (and just about anything else) the IPA in one form or another is still my go-to, and has been since probably the late 80's. Now, maybe if I didn't mix things up with the sours and home-brews and assorted local seasonals I might feel different.

So - enjoy your faves, but try the other stuff too....that's my philosophy!

Reactions: GOS
I'll give a shout out to a local brewery in my area - Big Thompson Brewery in Loveland, Colorado!

I happen to know the owners and they've been putting in a lot of sweat-equity the last 3 years or so since they've opened. He was an engineer with a big tech firm and gave it all up to start a brewery! I think his engineering mind and hard work has him on the right track for a successful (and fun) venture. They've gotten some canning equipment and now are putting out some of their favorites to the local restaurants & bars along with kegs of the good stuff. They are probably best known for their "Float Away IPA", but they are constantly putting out an assortment of craft brews such as Oatmeal Stout, Apricot Wheat, Smoked Chipotle Porter, etc. It's a fun time to stop in and try something new.

So if you're in northern Colorado, give them a try!

Back