The QuadraphonicQuad Craft Beer/Microbrew thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
615F7210-20D7-41E5-BF71-7129D0523A1E.jpeg

More Vancouver BC beer, this one from Superflux (another cool name).
All their beers are super citrusy, this Marigold Pale Ale is no different

A couple from Ex Novo today:

"Tie-west of Dyes, Lowest of Lows" west coast IPA with chinook, cashmere and HBC586 hops. Good one, piney and dank.
[IMG]

"If You're Not First, You're Last" IPA. Their entry in this years NM IPA challenge, a friendly competition used as a fundraiser for the Brewers Guild. Not their best brew, a little thin on the oomph side.
[IMG]

This Hazy IPA is from Lighthouse Brewing in Victoria BC
Light, not as heavy as I’d like
Seems to be some good spots up there now. Back when I lived there it was Spinnakers and Van Isle Brewing, nothing else. One of these days I'll get nback up there to check out all the new breweries.

Seems to be some good spots up there now. Back when I lived there it was Spinnakers and Van Isle Brewing, nothing else. One of these days I'll get nback up there to check out all the new breweries.
Must have been a while since you were in Victoria.
Phillips, Caledonia, Driftwood, Hoyne, Moon Under Water (their Creepy Uncle Dunkel is great).
No doubt I’ve left someone out.
And that’s just in Victoria proper, there are more in the surrounding areas including 3 good ones in Sooke.

Must have been a while since you were in Victoria.
Phillips, Caledonia, Driftwood, Hoyne, Moon Under Water (their Creepy Uncle Dunkel is great).
No doubt I’ve left someone out.
And that’s just in Victoria proper, there are more in the surrounding areas including 3 good ones in Sooke.
I left Victoria for good in 2009, and I recall that Phillips were the new kids at the time...I did have a couple of theirs and IIRC the raspberry ale was quite nice.

Here's a few recent ones, new releases this week:

Ex Novo "German Overalls" festbier v2022. The Oktoberfest beers are coming out now and Ex Novo are always a good bet...this year no different....solid!
Ex-Novo-German-Overalls-Festbier.jpg

Ex Novo "Mass Ascension - fresh hop v2022." I LOVE fresh hop IPA and the season to get them is far too short. Bought a dozen today and will go back for more...just excellent beer!
Ex-Novo-Mass-Acxsencion-Fresh-Hop-IPA.jpg

Gravity Bound "Counterweight" hazy IPA. Last week they won the NM IPA challenge for 2022. Their first win, and first win for a hazy from any of our breweries. I'm a big fan of this micro - great beer, really friendly people running it....really glad to see them get some extra PR.
Gravity-Bound-Counterweight-NEIPA.jpg

Our for lunch today with Mrs D and our homebuilder friend, discussing plans for our new place when it makes sense to start a project like that again. We'd hoped to do it this year but it prices for materials etc made us postpone. Hopefully we'll gear up and get going next spring?

Anyway, lunch was at one of the newer brewpub/restaurants - "Sobremesa." I hadn't yet been there so wanted to give it a shot. Ordered a flight that we shared, and a couple tacos. Beer, nothing outstanding but nothing terrible either. Food, very good for all of us.
Sobremesa-Flight20220821.jpg

Now, Ex Novo "Krispy's Kolsch" a nice light crusher.
Ex-Novo-Krispys-Kolsch.jpg

Later last night, I cracked open a can of La Cumbre "Amateur Astronomer" hazy DIPA> I'm finding that a lot of hazy IPA's need to maybe rest an extra week or so and then they're a couple points better.....I did however pick the perfect pint glass for that can!
LCBC-Amateur-Astronomer-NEDIPA.jpg

This was from a week ago. I live about 6 miles from Bottle Logic Brewery in Anaheim, CA. My first visit there was about 8 years ago to buy some bottles of a barrel-aged stout called Darkstar November. In the time since that first purchase, I have spent thousands of dollars on subsequent barrel-aged projects (Stasis is their designation) released by BL. In that time also, North Orange County has blown up with craft breweries. I love taking vacations to cities known for their brewery culture (Portland, OR & Grand Rapids, MI have been two favorites), but I’ve never felt deprived by the local offerings either.

My wife and I are moving in October. Our destination is the first city we visited for a beer-related vacation back in 2015: Eugene, Oregon. It’s the home of Ninkasi and Hop Valley and more. The city hosts an annual Eugene Beer Festival. There’s a Eugene Ale Trail Passport to complete. And the city is literally named after me.

Just wanted share my excitement about new adventures ahead in beer life and life in general.

Attachments

• A055253E-6758-410A-B238-6E802A50D040.jpeg
    A055253E-6758-410A-B238-6E802A50D040.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Some catching up, recent new brews I checked out.....

Quarter Celtic "Becca's Brew" red IPA. I always like a red IPA and it gives me a good reason to get out this glassware!
QC-Beccas-Brew-Red-IPA.jpg

Bow & Arrow "Monument Magic" WC IPA. Another good one from these folks, homage to Monument Valley of course.
Bow-Arrow-Monument-Magic-IPA.jpg

Bow & Arrow "Desert Modern" hazy IPA
Bow-Arrow-Desert-Modern-IPA.jpg

Ex Novo "Tie-est of Dyes, Lowest of Lows" WC IPA.
Ex-Novo-Tie-Die-IPA.jpg

Now:

Gravity Bound "On the Run" german pilsner. Glad he made another batch of this very good pils. Easy and refreshing.
Gravity-Bound-On-Run-Pilsner.jpg

And a couple from last night:

Ex Novo "Mass Ascension - Fresh Hop" IPA. So good, and I bought an extra 4-pack today before they're gone until next year.
Ex-Novo-Mass-Ascension-Fresh-Hop-IPA.jpg

La Cumbre "Project Dank - Summer Edition v2022" IPA. Top tier as usual.
LCBC-Project-Dank-Summer2022-IPA.jpg

Stone. 26th Anniversary. I thought this would be good. I bought it. And I wanted this to be good. But at the end of the day its just a mediocre one. Ill give it a 7 on a 10 scale, and that being generous in my rating. No real character. Just a MEH westie

stone26.jpg

Stone. 26th Anniversary. I thought this would be good. I bought it. And I wanted this to be good. But at the end of the day its just a mediocre one. Ill give it a 7 on a 10 scale, and that being generous in my rating. No real character. Just a MEH westie

View attachment 83067

That description fits about half the beers I try. Though there is a proliferation of really good beers, there are more barely average ones too

Back