The Who Tommy Super Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a bit of luck October's Yellow Brick Road Super Deluxe will follow suit and have the 5.1 mix on blu-ray both in the box and in standalone HFPA form.. then, when the HFPA sells well, Universal will release the rest of the back catalogue on HFPA, including (finally) the remaining cancelled Elton 5.1 Greg Penny mixes we've been waiting on nearly 10 years!

Yes, it's the "same old" albums getting the treatment but I'm encouraged by this news.. its almost full-circle to where I hoped the HFPA format would go when I first learned of it, some big 5.1 releases to usher in more 5.1! All is not lost - yet!

I don't mind buying the HFPA only format of the release to help generate more HFPA sales which will hopefully lead to more unreleased 5.1 mixes coming out on the format.
However, there doesn't seem to be enough worthwhile material to make me spring for the big box, especially when I'm saving up for "The Road to Red", the only release where you can get old & new stereo mixes, 5.1 and live concerts all on Blu-Ray.
(not to mention anything else that might crop up before the end of the year.) ;)

Thanks for that, fredblue.

With this and the Criterion Quadrophenia, I am so getting me a multi-region blu-ray player

you're welcome :) the UK 2-disc DVD is fully loaded with heaps of great extras and decent PQ and sound (including Qunitaphonic 5.0 soundtrack in lossy codec) and for the bonus material alone is essential imho.. the Columbia blu-ray (Region-Free by the way) is a bare-bones release but the picture and (Lossless Qunitaphonic 5.0) sound are stunning.. so you need them both really! :eek:

I was planning on getting the Blu-Ray only disc. Then I spotted a $13 used copy of the 2003 Super Deluxe SACD. Oh well. Have fun, I hope it souds good.

Cheers, Michael

Back