The worst step to go eco-friendly; VINYL! Re: Enya's "A Box of Dreams" from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
As much as I like to reduce, reuse, recycle, I draw the line on one thing; VINYL!
We all know how "recycled" vinyl did NOT work out in the 70's and now Rhino is proudly announcing that Enya's "A Box of Dreams" LP box set will be 100% "recycled vinyl".

Yes, please, recycle PAPER but , please , keep vinyl as clean as possible.

I WOULD have bought this set but I immediately changed my mind when I saw the whole "recycled vinyl" part, which I thought would only be 100% PAPER only...

I am positive they think they are doing a great thing by recycling vinyl but, alas...NO, BOYS AND GIRLS, just NO!

Rant over...

Is that necessarily a guarantee that it won't be any better now?
basically yes, cause who knows how CLEAN the vinyl going in will be? Not very taking into consideration how bad even NEW vinyl is! I posted this on another thread , and it's translucent vinyl from the Yes Progeny from Rhino!
87964-IMG-2498.JPG

basically yes, cause who knows how CLEAN the vinyl going in will be? Not very taking into consideration how bad even NEW vinyl is! I posted this on another thread , and it's translucent vinyl from the Yes Progeny from Rhino!
87964-IMG-2498.JPG
Not to mention that the stampers used to press vinyl are OLD....and in desperate need of replacement!

So much for VIRGIN VINYL!

I'm working on genetic technology to grow trees so their rings match a record pressing profile. Just cut the tree into slices & you get as many records as you can, out of the length of the tree.

Only problem is it takes 15-20 years to grow the tree. So it requires some marketing planning in advance. And we're still working out the bugs ( literally! Emerald Ash borers are the worst! )

I'm working on genetic technology to grow trees so their rings match a record pressing profile. Just cut the tree into slices & you get as many records as you can, out of the length of the tree.

Only problem is it takes 15-20 years to grow the tree. So it requires some marketing planning in advance. And we're still working out the bugs ( literally! Emerald Ash borers are the worst! )
........ and Side B will play backwards!

5f783f5584e815c3b0c5d1f5119e26e6.jpg

sorry that the bugs have you stumped ...

As much as I like to reduce, reuse, recycle, I draw the line on one thing; VINYL!
We all know how "recycled" vinyl did NOT work out in the 70's and now Rhino is proudly announcing that Enya's "A Box of Dreams" LP box set will be 100% "recycled vinyl".

Yes, please, recycle PAPER but , please , keep vinyl as clean as possible.

I WOULD have bought this set but I immediately changed my mind when I saw the whole "recycled vinyl" part, which I thought would only be 100% PAPER only...

I am positive they think they are doing a great thing by recycling vinyl but, alas...NO, BOYS AND GIRLS, just NO!

Rant over...
Are you sure that this won't work? It's a long time gone by since the 70's and technology esp. in recycling has advanced over this period. Also recycling in the 70*s was not a big issue as it is nowadays.

My original of “In-a-Gadda-da-Vida” has a piece of paper in the grooves. It’s in a loud part of the song (but what part isn’t loud?) somit’s not all that noticeable, but, yeah, recycled vinyl records can have issues.

Decent quality control would help.

I switched away from open reel because none of my tapes survived to today The weak spot is the adhesive holding the oxide to the tape.
What brand/model tape are you using?
Multiple brands? NAB or plastic reels?

Most tape manufacturers had patents on their oxide particles. Different formulations. Not just buzz words like Super Avilyn, Beridox, etc. Likely they use different binders. The mylar base might be different, as well.

3M (Scotch) & Fuji made different formulations based on grade.

Most others sold the same tape as varying grades, strictly QC'ing top grade tapes. Rejected and untested products become standard grade. The HQ was same tape, but better QC'ed.

Honestly, I've used mostly TDK and Maxell HG NAB back coated. Also used 3M, Ampex, BASF, too. Have many NAB & 7" reels, too. No problems.

Various decks over 60+ years. Teac, Sony, Akai and Tandberg. Sold all those decks and blank tape to end users and dealers. Have Teac now.

Do you have a humidifier in your place?

Last edited:
Back