The worst step to go eco-friendly; VINYL! Re: Enya's "A Box of Dreams" from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new Brian Eno album was release not to long ago sporting the hype with being recycled vinyl.
Even if they make them 100% paper label free you would still be introducing a lot of new contamination
to the vinyl in the recycling process.

I switched away from open reel because none of my tapes survived to today The weak spot is the adhesive holding the oxide to the tape.
I have 3 cases of NOS unused Ampex 456 1/4" pancake reels that are no good anymore, because their early non-whale oil formulation efforts don't hold up over time. Sucks!

What brand/model tape are you using?
Multiple brands? NAB or plastic reels?

Most tape manufacturers had patents on their oxide particles. Different formulations. Not just buzz words like Super Avilyn, Beridox, etc. Likely they use different binders. The mylar base might be different, as well.

3M (Scotch) & Fuji made different formulations based on grade.

Most others sold the same tape as varying grades, strictly QC'ing top grade tapes. Rejected and untested products become standard grade. The HQ was same tape, but better QC'ed.

Honestly, I've used mostly TDK and Maxell HG NAB back coated. Also used 3M, Ampex, BASF, too. Have many NAB & 7" reels, too. No problems.

Various decks over 60+ years. Teac, Sony, Akai and Tandberg. Sold all those decks and blank tape to end users and dealers. Have Teac now.

Do you have a humidifier in your place?
My TDK Reel-to-Reel back-coated tapes which are mostly 40-45 years old are OK (so far), and in the early days as a student they were not stored in ideal conditions, either froze or cooked in flats/bedsits!

With wooden needles polished to perfection by woodland craft persons 🧙‍♀️
We did have the possibility of wood styli before World War II.
They often used thorns when steel needles were scarce.
There was a device to cut a matchstick to act as a needle.

The rationing during WWII cut supplies of both needles and records.
- Japan had captured the entire area that supplies shellac.
- Shellac was rationed in the allied countries because it was needed for the war.
- Shellac was essential for motor and generator windings for war vehicles.
- Steel needles were rationed because steel was needed for warplanes.
- For a period, you had to turn in a record (it could be broken) to buy a new record.
- They ground up the old records to get shellac for new ones.
- They were using substitutes for shellac and additives to shellac to make new records.
- The materials used included sawdust, wood glue, asphalt, cardboard, and glass.
- Some records were a sandwich of good vinyl for the surface and a cheap filler inside.
- Records made 1939-1947 were much easier to break than other shellac records.

What brand/model tape are you using?
Multiple brands? NAB or plastic reels?

Most tape manufacturers had patents on their oxide particles. Different formulations. Not just buzz words like Super Avilyn, Beridox, etc. Likely they use different binders. The mylar base might be different, as well.

3M (Scotch) & Fuji made different formulations based on grade.

Most others sold the same tape as varying grades, strictly QC'ing top grade tapes. Rejected and untested products become standard grade. The HQ was same tape, but better QC'ed.

Honestly, I've used mostly TDK and Maxell HG NAB back coated. Also used 3M, Ampex, BASF, too. Have many NAB & 7" reels, too. No problems.

Various decks over 60+ years. Teac, Sony, Akai and Tandberg. Sold all those decks and blank tape to end users and dealers. Have Teac now.

Do you have a humidifier in your place?
Originally I was using Sarkes Tarzian acetate tape because my father who worked there got it for me for free. After about 10 years, the oxide fell off the tape.
I also had Galaxy polyester tape. The oxide fell off of that tape too.
I do not think that at the time these were made, they were thinking of the longevity of the adhesive.
Then I switched to Shamrock. The oxide stayed on the tape and the backing deteriorated and stuck to the oxide of the next layer after about 10 years.
Only Ampex and 3M were around when I was doing reels, and it was too expensive for a student.
TDK was not really around until after I had switched to cassettes. None of my TDK tapes have failed, but all of my decks have failed.
I am not living where I was when I was using tape. I had no control over the humidity there.

I can't imagine it's easy to filter all the dirt & crap out of the junked records they're using for their source? And what about all the dodgy old recycled vinyl that already has paper particles in it?

It's recycled vinyl within recycled vinyl, within recycled vinyl. An endless loop of impurities, like that inception movie.

Some high end stylus mfrs were using cactus needles at one point.

In principal, I applaud the use of recycled vinyl (just imagine how much unloved vinyl ‘product’ is out there), but the proof is in the listening of course and its a big risk for the buyer.

Back