To anyone in the Louisiana/Texas area affected by Hurricane Laura please be safe and check in afterwards to let us know you are OK......

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6:30 AM ET: Hurricane Ida is now officially a Category 4 Hurricane barreling towards the Louisiana Coast with sustained wind speeds of 145 mph with gusts as high as 160 mph. This is a catastrophic storm. Rainfall predictions will total as much as 20".

Ida is poised to become the most powerful hurricane to hit Louisiana since the 1850's!

My thoughts are with all of you who are in the eye of this storm.

Speaking of sump pumps, my biggest worry is what I'll do with my two nano aquarium tanks without power for a day or so. Fortunately Katrina taught the local water companies to have backup generators, so water won't be a problem this time around. The temps without air conditioning mean that I won't have to worry about heating (8'/ it will be hot). I can open the blinds for light (I go more for underwater plants than fish). Aeration is the problem, but I can do lots of water changes. Every summer I buy lots of canned tuna / chicken as a hurricane kit, and tomorrow morning I'll boil lots of eggs, so with a bit of celery / onion / bread / crackers / and of course -- beer! -- I'll have food and entertainment (lol) for the dark nights ahead. . . .

Stay safe, those further south than me! I'm sure you'll have stories to share!
Shit! to @halbroome and @kap'n krunch I see ALL of New Orleans is without power. Bless you and let us know how you are tomorrow if you can.

Thank you @Sonic Wiz for remembering us in "hurricane alley"!!!
Yes, this one is driving everybody a bit insane (as if we needed an extra push!) and since last year's botched forecast when they announced a "Tropical Storm" and it wound up being a Category 3 or 4 Hurricane I thjink this year they are trying to play it safe...but then, you can NEVER tell with the Tropics...cause they're HOT!!! so me and the wife are hunkering down for this one and we'll report back when we come out of the other side of the tunnel.. I just hope it's more or less like last year's 4 days without electricity or so...
We are all hoping that you are safe and sound and your house and music and yourselves and rest of your family are safe…GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU

Been watching CNN most of the afternoon and the amount of devastation, as predicted, is catastrophic. Still a cat 3! Even the Mighty Mississippi River has 'reversed course....' And what makes it even worse ... a very slow moving storm dropping rain in excess of 24 inches.

Thankfully, the levees in New Orleans have held up after a $16B overhaul after Katrina, but the amount of roofs being ripped off, complete loss of power and Ida's slow crawl through the region coupled with the Covid crisis in Louisiana will certainly spell a slow recovery for the area.

The residents of Louisiana have always been resilient and the Federal Fema response will be quick and decisive and with over 16K utility vehicles/personnel from all over the country en route to LA to restore power, hopefully a return to normalcy will ensue.

KAP and Halbroome ... we're ALL Praying for you.

Made it through the night with power (!) and woke up at 4 a.m. with the most intense outer rain bands coming up from the south. Ida's eye is roughly on the same latitude as my area now, and slowly moving northwards with a slight eastward tilt.

It will be a day full of rain, rain, and more rain, and windy gusts as thunderstorms embedded in the bands pass through, but as long as I have power I'm happy!

It's a good morning when the coffee maker works :D.

Made it through the night with power (!) and woke up at 4 a.m. with the most intense outer rain bands coming up from the south. Ida's eye is roughly on the same latitude as my area now, and slowly moving northwards with a slight eastward tilt.

It will be a day full of rain, rain, and more rain, and windy gusts as thunderstorms embedded in the bands pass through, but as long as I have power I'm happy!

It's a good morning when the coffee maker works :D.

Very glad to hear you, the fish & audio gear seems to be ok. Other than living in the "center of soundfield" I gather you live a bit West of New Orleans. The Bourbon Street webcam link I posted is surprisingly working. It shows the area still raining but no flooding or structural damage. Other areas I'm sure are not so fortunate.

Ida has been downgraded to a tropical storm. Of course, that doesn’t significantly change things regarding flooding and power outages but every bit of good news helps. I also heard on the radio that crews had already been dispatched from Tampa to assist with getting the power grid back on line. As far as I‘ve heard it sounds like the levees built post Katrina have largely held.

Last edited:
Very glad to hear you, the fish & audio gear seems to be ok. Other than living in the "center of soundfield" I gather you live a bit West of New Orleans. The Bourbon Street webcam link I posted is surprisingly working. It shows the area still raining but no flooding or structural damage. Other areas I'm sure are not so fortunate.

I live northeast of New Orleans. Just a messy yard and driveway to deal with, now that things are drying up!

[edit: also need to lose the extra pounds gained while nervously munching snack food -- I never buy this except for storms -- while waiting for something to happen 😗 ]

Big big mess...
Ida decided to visit the French Quarter and Frenchman street... a Cat 3 the slows down is way worse than a Cat 4...
Hell, I was scared shitless and hunkered down in our “storm shelter” for 4 hours... no power yet and it will prolly take another week to have any and the heat is fucking unbearable...
At least we got running water and drinking water plus butane so we can cook and shower(at least 3 times a day with this heat!)
Thanks for your thoughts!
Oh, and the HUGE tree in the backyard fell away from the house! Divine powers were at work!

Big big mess...
Ida decided to visit the French Quarter and Frenchman street... a Cat 3 the slows down is way worse than a Cat 4...
Hell, I was scared shitless and hunkered down in our “storm shelter” for 4 hours... no power yet and it will prolly take another week to have any and the heat is fucking unbearable...
At least we got running water and drinking water plus butane so we can cook and shower(at least 3 times a day with this heat!)
Thanks for your thoughts!
Oh, and the HUGE tree in the backyard fell away from the house! Divine powers were at work!
Thanks for using some precious cell phone power to check in. It sounds like one of the rougher ones you've been through. Glad no loss of health or property.

The Bourbon St webcam looked not too bad before & after. Most of the brunt was at night & I didn't check at 2am.

The Tri State area of New York, New Jersey and to a lesser extent Connecticut had their own mini Armageddon from the 'remnants' of Hurricane Ida:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/weather/...historic-rain-flooding-and-tornadoes/3252554/
This was on the BBC TV News this evening, again looks horrendous, hope all QQers and family are OK.

We have had a lot of rain this year on this side of the pond, and some flooding, but nothing as bad/dramatic as you guys, its the clearing up after a flood that doubles the pain.

And we have some QQ'ers from Jersey & New Yawk. If you catch this post let us know how your doing!

We had an unprecendented amount of torrential rains in a brief period and the entire area is a disaster area. No one anticipated that the 'remnants'of a storm could cause such destruction. New York and New Jersey have officially been declared disaster areas. The amount of rescues from homes and cars was Twilight Zoneish from an area which has never seen this kind of damage from RAIN! Luckily, my basement or man cave was spared but we did get water in the basement of our funeral home which NEVER experienced water before and our neighbors lost their basement where their elderly father was living. Thousands of abandoned cars lined major highways with people escaping to safety when sudden flash floods deluged their vehicles.

Climate Change IS HERE TO STAY!

And we have some QQ'ers from Jersey & New Yawk. If you catch this post let us know how your doing!

I've been catching up with my relatives and friends. All are safe except for one couple who I have not heard from as of yet. Thanks for asking.

[I should mention that I am at about 1000 ft elevation on the top of a ridge, so water is generally not a problem. Big winds are another story.]

Last edited:
Back