Tom Petty - MOJO! New music release in 5.1 on BLU-RAY!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some quick thoughts after just 3 songs:

-There is no problem with the bass on my system. It's nice and full.
-Mix is subtle. It's a very good recording. Clean without being too sterile. Nice use of echo in the rears, but don't expect a Scheiner mix.
-It's not weak in the fronts...

Thanks for the udpate! This pretty much confirms what I expected after reading the Petty article on the 5.1 mixing process (by mixer/engineer/producer Ryan Ulyate) of this album in Sound+Vision(mentioned on another thread). Waiting on the postman...

Hey daved64, Oxenholme and anyone else who has already received their copy... Is the code for the stereo download found inside the Mojo packaging? (Pretty sad, I know, to be obsessing about 'stereo' when I will be hearing this album in 5.1 shortly; but I preordered mine from Amazon (still waiting for it) and was wondering if I should be on the lookout for an email from Amazon about a code or not. Thanks!

Has anyone in Europe mainland (e.g. not U.K.) managed to download. I get an "oops" message about the "code" and I suppose it refers to postal...

I bought this yesterday at my local independent music store. I was very happy to see this stocked. Has anyone else found it in stores or did everyone order online?

I looked at Best Buy and of course they didn't have it. It's not even listed on the website nor it is at Barnes and Noble. I had to buy it on Amazon.

I bought my copy the day after it's release. The local Best Buy and other retailers did not have it. My local record shop had it. They said it was only released for sale at indy stores.
Regards Al

Is this packaged in cardboard or is that just a slipcase?

It is cardboard, and does open up, but functionally it is a slipcase. Disc slides in one side and the booklet slides in the other. Very thin so can hardly see it when on the shelf. I do not like it, seems cheap.

It is cardboard, and does open up, but functionally it is a slipcase. Disc slides in one side and the booklet slides in the other. Very thin so can hardly see it when on the shelf. I do not like it, seems cheap.

I got it the same time as the new Porcupine Tree BR. Quite the contrast in packaging.

The 48K 24 bit audio on this disc has 256 times more resolution than a CD, providing greater detail and reproducing the music's full dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds. To achieve full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so this disc might not sound as 'loud' as a standard CD or film soundtrack.
To compensate for this, turn up the volume!

Perhaps this is a completely silly question, but I recently bought a blu-ray player and the Mojo album on blu-ray and I have not figured out a way to play the audio without having the video on. Meaning, the disc only seems to play the audio if the video monitor is on. I know with dvd players you can select audio only to listen but not watch, is this possible with blu-ray as well?

Gotcha, but I have my dvd-player hooked up via HDMI as well. So, is this basically a blu-ray specific HDMI issue?

The Blu-ray player would probably have a more recent version of HDMI, that turns off when the TV set is turned off. The older HDMI doesn't have that feature. My two older Blu-ray players don't do it, but the two newer ones do. And of course the Petty disk won't even play in the older machine. Could be because that machine is connected using component cables. I've only got 3 HDMI inputs on my TV.

update: I put Petty in the old machine with the component cables... and somehow it is now working. It never worked before. After starting the disk, I turned off the TV with no bad effect since HDMI isn't connected to that player. Sounds better in this machine too, since bass has always been a bit emphasized by this player, and the disk does need a bit more bass, like anything else by Petty.

Last edited:
Try starting the disc with the screen on. Once you have selected your options and pressed play, turn off the screen. You will get a slight pause but the audio should kick back in. Not an elegant solution but a solution (hopefully) nonetheless.

The Blu-ray player would probably have a more recent version of HDMI, that turns off when the TV set is turned off. The older HDMI doesn't have that feature. My two older Blu-ray players don't do it, but the two newer ones do. And of course the Petty disk won't even play in the older machine. Could be because that machine is connected using component cables. I've only got 3 HDMI inputs on my TV.

update: I put Petty in the old machine with the component cables... and somehow it is now working. It never worked before. After starting the disk, I turned off the TV with no bad effect since HDMI isn't connected to that player.

I found an option on my blu-ray player set up, CEC control, and set it so that when I turn the TV off it doesn't turn the player off. When I listen to Pandora I don't want the TV on.

Thanks for all the advice, after fiddling around with a few options (primarily one that states let the tv control the HDMI connection) everything is working properly with the TV turned off!!!

Back