Tony Banks' entire solo catalogue to be remixed and reissued in surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one of the very limited and hence quite rare 2009 issues of the 5.1 of "A Curious Feeling" and it's absolutely stunning albeit 24/96 DTS. If this version is uncompressed I'll have no hesitation in "upgrading" to it.

I hope it's also DVD-A/V this time too! I can't remember off-hand from when I borrowed the DVD, but I'm pretty sure this one was another case of plenty of space, so I hope the right person (aka Neil) is doing the job this time! :)

I would speculate that this wave of Esoteric re-issues has been encouraged by the success of the Anthony Phillips ones and will therefore, hopefully, use the same "formula" as "The Geese & the Ghost."

I've got one of the very limited and hence quite rare 2009 issues of the 5.1 of "A Curious Feeling" and it's absolutely stunning albeit 24/96 DTS. If this version is uncompressed I'll have no hesitation in "upgrading" to it.
I'm not entirely clear so would appreciate clarification that this issue is a new remixed/remasterd (?) version to the 2009 version that I already have. I still would like Chester Thompson's drums to have more presence.

I'm not entirely clear so would appreciate clarification that this issue is a new remixed/remasterd (?) version to the 2009 version that I already have. I still would like Chester Thompson's drums to have more presence.

Personally, I'll bet that it's the same DTS DVD. I'm expecting no DVD-As for any of these, but hoping for the best. Hopefully, Cherry Red will respond to my question that I sent to them, soon. I'm also looking forward to the Anthony Phillips - Wise After The Event 5.1 for Feb. 5th...

I think between the 2, I like The Fugitive better. Just my preference I guess.

I like A Curious Feeling a lot, have it on CD, (just listened to it the other night, as it happens); I'll definitely order the new surround mix of that one.

I only ever had The Fugitive on vinyl, never got around to finding it on CD, and so can't remember it that well. This is the best excuse yet to get the turntable running again, to see if I want that one too!

-- Jim

That's what I have done as well and for the same reason, it keeps the profit in the hands of the small record company doing the release and not amazon

I'm going to get my copies of all of these direct from Esoteric/Cheery Red.

http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5295

I figure they must get their best margins from direct sales, so this must be the best way of encouraging them to continue investing in surround mixes. :)

I figure they must get their best margins from direct sales, so this must be the best way of encouraging them to continue investing in surround mixes. :)
good call Neil, I have not oredered yet but will do so through Cherry Red. The Andy Jackson one I already ordered there.

Did anyone find out if Cherry Red takes VAT off for overseas orders yet? My last order (G&G) didn't have the VAT removed (shipped to Australia). It's getting expensive with the Aussie dollar falling under 50p...

Your best bet is to contact Leigh Jones at Cherry Red direct, [email protected] they deal with the orders.

Did anyone find out if Cherry Red takes VAT off for overseas orders yet? My last order (G&G) didn't have the VAT removed (shipped to Australia). It's getting expensive with the Aussie dollar falling under 50p...

Good plan.
That's why I buy direct whenever possible (like subscribing to Audio Fidelity), as long as the prices aren't out of line.
Want to reward/encourage the label.

One thing to keep in mind. Regardless of whether this new reissue of "A Curious Feeling" is DVD-A/V this time around or DVD-V like the original, I'm fairly certain from memory that the original DVD did not contain a high-res stereo mix, and Cherry Red's description is saying this new reissue will, so regardless of DVD-A/V vs DVD-V, let's hope they at least include the stereo mix in high-res on the upcoming reissue! :)

Just got my shipping notices from Burning Shed for both "The Fugitive" and "A Curious Feeling". Can't wait for these! :)

Ok, so Darren Lock has already received copies of these new releases from Esoteric and has done his usual "First Look" and Review videos, which can be found on his YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/vrooomuk?spfreload=10

First thing I noticed is that even though the DVDs are DVD-V, it looks like they got the logo right this time as opposed to other recent surround releases, so there may be hope for the future! ;)
The second thing I noticed (which came as a real surprise to me) is that while "The Fugitive" is in the same book case as the 2009 release of "A Curious Feeling", the ACF reissue is now in a jewel case. That's very disappointing to me as I really like the book case of the 2009 edition and was hoping this 2016 edition would be the same. Oh well, at least I now understand why this 2016 edition of "A Curious Feeling" is cheaper than "The Fugitive". Still looking forward to both however when they arrive next week! :)

Just had a first listen of The Fugitive. I suppose it's a typical Nick Davis/Tony Banks mix in the vein of what they did for the Genesis albums in that there isn't much discrete in the rears for most of the time, the music just fills the room; but there are a few tracks mainly the instrumentals (Thirty Three's and Charm) where they have played around and been quite adventurous; and they are very enjoyable. But other tracks, such as the bonus ones are rather flat and just big stereo, somewhat compressed.

Looking back, I greatly anticipated this album. A Curious Feeling had sat on my turntable for months and it was all I listened to and was in my top 5 albums of all time (A Smallcreep's day also being in that list - 5.1 of that is my dream). But The Fugitive was a disappointment initially as it was a collection of pop songs to my ears and just reflected the commercial direction Genesis was taking. I wanted the long prog tracks he was so good at. But eventually, I really got to like and it sounded great in my newly purchased Walkman of the day. By You is very catchy. But Tony's voice didn't sound as good as Kim Beacon on ACF. Reading the liner notes of this release, he knew he was going into new territory and compares himself to a cross between Neil Tennant and Louis Armstrong. I can hear Neil T's voice and somehow it has helped me appreciate his voice now, but at the time, I wish he'd kept with Kim Beacon.

A Smallcreep's day also being in that list - 5.1 of that is my dream

Yes, please! What can we do to put a bug in Mike Rutherford and Nick Davis' ears that this should happen? If Esoteric can release deluxe editions of Anthony Phillips and Tony Banks albums, then I'm sure they can easily do the same with success for "Smallcreep's Day", and I'll look forward to it if it does happen. :)

Back