TOSHIBA 4 channel QM decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
Hi. All

Another piece of vintage gear I`v not seen before a complete QM Decoder from Toshiba up for auction on ..Jauce Auction site...
BBQ...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/e457184463 )

tkjxc836-img640x480-1597641899nbzaw1989.jpg

tkjxc836-img640x480-1597641899xmb8hh989.jpg

tkjxc836-img640x480-159764189905ivsq989.jpg

Hi. PUPSTER

I`m thinking about it the price there asking for it at the momment is about US$ 95.00 that`s about NZ $144.00 so still thinking????????????
Doesn't the "QM Effect" just drive ya crazy wondering what it sounds like? I don't think anyone here has bought a QM decoder. If you get it, report back!

Hi. PUPSTER & Sonik Wiz

My curiosity has got the best of me I bided and got the unit it will take a why`ll to get to me when i recieve it I`ll see if it works & put it through its paces..
BBQ...
I'll be interested to hear how it performs too. As a nutter completist (have a means to play back each type of quad, or at least have a show piece for each), or someone who may one day start collecting Japanese QM recordings, I've wondered how that model sounds for some time.

Doesn't the "QM Effect" just drive ya crazy wondering what it sounds like? I don't think anyone here has bought a QM decoder. If you get it, report back!

Help...
Hi. All

I have finally got the Toshiba SC-410 QM Decoder today I have tested it to see if turns on yes it does I have a step down transformer so that part of it works BUT......

I think I`m thick as a brick .....:bowing:

Can someone tell me how to get a matrix 4 channel output to a 4 channel Aux input of receiver amp from this Toshiba QM Decoder Her is the manual to go by...

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg

Can someone tell me how to get a matrix 4 channel output to a 4 channel Aux input of receiver amp from this Toshiba QM Decoder Her is the manual to go by...
At a quick glance I'm not sure you easily can. It seems to be intended for insertion in a tape loop, outputting the rear channels via its built in power amp only. I don't see there's any line level four channel output from the decoder.

Help...
Hi. All

I have finally got the Toshiba SC-410 QM Decoder today I have tested it to see if turns on yes it does I have a step down transformer so that part of it works BUT......

View attachment 57866View attachment 57867
View attachment 57868View attachment 57869
View attachment 57870View attachment 57871
View attachment 57872
View attachment 57873View attachment 57874

Gotta agree with soundfield... it's intended to compliment a 2 ch stereo set up with speaker level outputs for the rear. A similar situation was discussed elsewhere & the best solution would be easy to use speaker to line level convertors as common with car audio. Check Parts Express.

Thanks for the scans it was pretty interesting reading. I'm loving the pics on pg 8 of the arm less audiophile.
Speaking of pics, how's the man cave doing?

Help...
Hi. All

View attachment 57871
Have you tried the 4ch tape output terminals?
Correction: at first glance i assumed the Aux input was a tape out but i was wrong.
My guess is if you try the input selector you could get a line level 4 ch output there from the effect processor.
If it does not work then you might try and hi-level to line level adapter hooked on the speaker output terminals.
But i think you should reconsider because in the instructions they show different speakers locations depending on the effect selected hence the A and B speaker selector.
So if the integrated power amplifier is working correctly i think you should try it the way it was intended and install some small speakers around and listen

Last edited:
My guess is if you try the input selector you could get a line level 4 ch output there from the effect processor.

Not sure there is one as such, but wouldn't any input selector come before the decoder? In the absence of a circuit diagram the only place where you can be certain of finding all four channels at line (ish) level is on the four gang volume control. That's where I'd stab about, but maybe not an approach for the novice! I am intrigued by the decoder itself (which obviously must be very simple) which is in this little box -
QMD.JPG

what were they trying to hide?!!!

Last edited:
what were they trying to hide?!!!

Matrix Magic!
Actually probably not much in there. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it is secured to the chassis from screws underneath. Maybe BBQ can inspect further.

Fosgate liked mystery modules & used on several models. In this case it probably was worth trying to protect his proprietary circuitry (ignoring patents that probably told a competitor everything they wanted to know). I purchased a Fosgate Space matrix decoder once upon a time. It also had silicone rubber filled mystery modules. I unsoldered them & found a product called Chisel that dissolved the silicone rubber. When I traced the circuit I realized it was virtually identical, even down to component values, of a couple of early Scheiber patents. It seems that Fosgate is strongly associated with SQ & many assume whatever projects he graced would decode that format. Not true. The space matrix is firmly rooted in a regular matrix, the design shows it & it tests out as a RM type decoder. Full story here.

Matrix Magic!
Actually probably not much in there. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it is secured to the chassis from screws underneath. Maybe BBQ can inspect further.
Agreed, the magic was probably a very simple spell! If it was more than half a dozen transistors I'd be surprised. More likely they were just trying to hide it from noise rather than prying eyes!

Back