Toyo 8 track quadraphonic player.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are Toyo products any good? I'm thinking of buy this NOS Toyo 8 track player, model CS - 721, is it a good player? If it is a good option, are NOS player worth it? Barry 8 track posted on the link bellow, http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/BuyingTips.html, that NOS players' belt and lubricant might not be good, I guess the rubber and the lubricant might have dried up, he also said that capacitors and transistors probably have aged out after sitting without use for years.

I had one briefly. It too was new in box. The belt was fine, but there was a manufacturing defect with the switching mechanism that controls the track lights. I had to do some disassembly and repair on that. I don't recall it being too powerful, maybe 5 wpc. They have a classic, cool look that would go well in any car, but I think the biggest shortcoming is that it has NO balance control. There is simply a button that says "Push All" and the settings are either All Speakers full power or driver front slightly lower than the rest. I guess if you're not the type to fiddle with controls, then it's perfect for you.

Personally, I like the Motorola Quadraline series the best. Followed by the Craig line, then Pioneer. Pioneer would beat out Craig if not for their tiny (in comparison) flywheels and unusual volume controls. Pioneer seemed to have a kink for a knob that had the inner ring control the rear volume, front ring controls front volume. If you grasp both, you adjust all four. But say you have a passenger who isn't hip to that ..... it can cause confusion. Hence, why I prefer a single volume control and a separate balance section like the Motorolas and Craigs.

That weird ass Sanyo deck (can't recall model #) LOOKS cool, but four separate volume controls?? Get outta here.

Well, it is indeed kinda low for a car player. I haven`t found the schematics online, do you think it will be a very difficult job to open it up and replace the amplifier? I`m well trained in soldering and projecting if I buy I`m even considering to design an external tube amplification system. But my concerns are the mechanics, I`m afraid to mess up the head position, and other mechanical parts, and I guess a single milimeter matters. Say for exemple that I accidentaly bend whatever holds the head to the right or left. Should one be concerned about such matter upon disassembling and then reassembling a device like this?

Back