Trevor Horn mixes: Seal & Yes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
After reading a previous post in here I confirmed a suspicion I had:

All of Trevor Horn's productions from the 80-90's , that I have in my collection, decode marvelously in DPL II Music.

It all started with Yes-90125 Remastered...then I went on to
-Big Generator (always had a soft spot for that cd, more experimental than 90125)
-Talk -Even more presence in the rears and incredible hi fidelity ...wasn't this one of the first or the first Rock/Pop CD recorded directly into a Mac???

And , yes, I'm a heathen, but I prefer the stereo on DPL II surround version of
Seal's I, II
to their DVD-A versions (I find them a bit too shy)

...haven't tried Human Being, mainly cause it sucks and no DVD version is available...
BUT,
Seal IV is different; it is a better 5.1 mix , and curiously , the Stereo version lacks the phase experiments, which show up as rear info, that Trevor did in the first two , my guess is that he wasn't involved in the mix as an engineer...

Very interesting!

I recall the Yes tour for "Talk" and the concert was presented in surround. This was one fantastic sounding show. I will most definately try to decode this as well as Seal's efforts.

Thanks for the info. :smokin

I had the chance to run these through DPL II.

They sound rather nice and tossed out more info in the rears than I had expected.

I did notice that Trevor Rabin, not Trevor Horn produced "Talk" and it was quite nice at that.:smokin

I had the chance to run these through DPL II.

They sound rather nice and tossed out more info in the rears than I had expected.

I did notice that Trevor Rabin, not Trevor Horn produced "Talk" and it was quite nice at that.:smokin

Excellent!
Talk's production is way brighter than any other-and a lot of info in the rears too- I also dig the SubHuman Bass in "State of Play"...

Big Generator is also probably more a Trevor Rabin production than a Trevor Horn production. Horn was basically relieved of duty partway through the record.

I never gave Big Generator a try, but I always liked "Love Will Find A Way" when it was on MTV back in the day.

And I will never understand or forgive Warner Brothers for leaving Human Being out of the Seal DVD-A production loop. I'm glad to at least have the title track in 5.1 on the Best Of 1991-2004 2CD/DVD-A package. I think I've announced this already, but all Seal DVD-A titles recently became OOP and are rising in cost rather quickly. The same goes for Earth Wind & Fire's Alive In 75 SACD. Grab em' while you still can!

To add my two cents to this thread, I recently listened to the stereo-only Thriller SACD and set my receiver to DPLII and got a pretty nice separation of instruments/vocals through my speakers. I wish every stereo source could produce the same results.

Dan

I've never even seen any others apart from "Best Of " & "4" on DVDA here.
Would love to find them.

I have 3, those two and an album titled "Seal" (1991), the one without "Kiss From a Rose". I believe the "Seal" (1994) with "Kiss From a Rose" was also released but I have never seen it.

Chris

To confirm, Seal's 2nd album that Chris is referring to is (was) available as a CD+DVD-A package. It also includes videos and remixed songs similar to the 1st Seal CD+DVD-A package. I bought mine at BB for $22 but it now goes for close to $40 or more.

If you only buy one, however, the "real Seal deal" in my opinion is the 2CD/DVD-A Best Of 1991-2004 deluxe package. All the album hits including "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Lips Like Sugar" plus unplugged versions of the album hits and videos to boot ... all in 5.1

This page should help some of you: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=seal+dvd-audio&x=0&y=0

Dan

To confirm, Seal's 2nd album that Chris is referring to is (was) available as a CD+DVD-A package. It also includes videos and remixed songs similar to the 1st Seal CD+DVD-A package. I bought mine at BB for $22 but it now goes for close to $40 or more.

If you only buy one, however, the "real Seal deal" in my opinion is the 2CD/DVD-A Best Of 1991-2004 deluxe package. All the album hits including "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Lips Like Sugar" plus unplugged versions of the album hits and videos to boot ... all in 5.1

This page should help some of you: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=seal+dvd-audio&x=0&y=0

Dan

For the longest time I thought I had the self titled 1994 DVD-A. My confusion was caused by Seal having two self titled albums and the same picture being used on the 1994 album and compilation. It wasn't until I tried to find the 1994 version and play it a few months ago that I discovered I didn't have it. Now it costs more than I am willing to pay.

Chris

Back