Van Halen Mobile Fidelity SACDs now available for pre-orders

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one point, I believe they were expecting to get all the Van Halen albums out by the end of 2024 and that was one at a time, not grouped in twos like the Eagles were. However it seems like we get a different story any time anyone calls to ask.

Unless they’ve become incredibly efficient and immune to things that seem to knock them off schedule, the thought of getting the next five out in 12 months seems incredibly optimistic.

I’m guessing they want to release the vinyl one-step version with the SACD, so issues with the that process can throw a schedule out of whack, too.

I’m open to being pleasantly surprised, though, and if they can get VHII out by the end of February, I’d take that as a good sign.

They’re here! I’ll give a listen later this afternoon.

IMG_3391.jpeg

They’re here! I’ll give a listen later this afternoon.

View attachment 99082
I've only listen to the vinyl, and only 1 time through so far. I'm happy to report the sonics are spectacular to me through my Heresy's. Alex's kick drum can be felt in my chest....this is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Very wide soundstage and everything is super clear. It made think again how damn great Eddie Van Halen truly was. I hope others have the same reaction as me. $$ well spent.

I'll listen to the SACD next.

SACD just arrived. Hope to listen to it later today when other tasks are out of the way.

It’s a DR12 for those of us who are interested in such things. (My old CD is a DR8 and iTunes is a DR9 by comparison.)

I don’t have the DCC version, so I imagine (hope) this MoFi will be the best version I’ve heard.

The one minor negative (to me) is the lack of a booklet even if it’s a basic single-page fold-over. I always appreciate when they include those since I put my discs in sleeves and a booklet works nicely in that setup.

One Van Halen SACD down, five more (and who knows how many months) to go.

I've only listen to the vinyl, and only 1 time through so far. I'm happy to report the sonics are spectacular to me through my Heresy's. Alex's kick drum can be felt in my chest....this is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Very wide soundstage and everything is super clear. It made think again how damn great Eddie Van Halen truly was. I hope others have the same reaction as me. $$ well spent.

I'll listen to the SACD next.
I finally got a chance to listen to the SACD, and it's also damn great - loud, large sound stage, very clear sonics.

It's very hard for me to compare the vinyl to the SACD as they both use different parts of my system.

Common components:
- Monoprice tube amp
- Klipsch Heresy III speakers

Vinyl:
- Technics SL-15 turntable
- EPS-310MC cartridge,
- NAD PP2 phono stage

SACD:
- OPPO DV-983H.

I did try to measure the sound output from each source using meters on my iPhone and an old Radioshack digital meter....this didn't give me any info that would help anyone. I highly recommend either, and I'm glad I have both.

Last edited:
I ordered mine day of release, arrived today, #1519.
Curios as to what the pre order numbers are?
#2845. I had a much earlier pre-order when it was first announced and I did all 6 at once. But then I cancelled and pre-ordered just the first one in March of this year. I’m only going to do one at a time from here on out. So my VHII pre-order was made this week after VHI shipped.

The one minor negative (to me) is the lack of a booklet
Yeah, same. I have 200+ MOFI's (SACD) and this is very first to not have a advertisement sleeve around the disc cover.
Also, just this year 2023, they went from the disc cover being cloth on both sides to clear plastic on one side and cloth the other, THEM CHANGES.
Ripping now.

Does the record have any extras? Pictures, liner notes? Be cool to see a picture of the inside of box.
You asked for it, you got it --

Outside of box - front
fullsizeoutput_cf0.jpeg

Outside of box - side view of LP inserts
fullsizeoutput_cf3.jpeg

Outside of box - rear view
fullsizeoutput_cf4.jpeg

Inside LP insert - front view
fullsizeoutput_cea.jpeg

LP view - they're packaged in a nice Mofi sleeve and a white paper cover
fullsizeoutput_ceb.jpeg

Back view of LP insert (LP 1)
fullsizeoutput_cef.jpeg

Back view of LP insert (LP 2)
fullsizeoutput_ce7.jpeg

Paper insert accompanying the LPs - front view
fullsizeoutput_ce2.jpeg

Paper insert accompanying the LPs - opened view
fullsizeoutput_ce3.jpeg

Paper insert accompanying the LPs - back view
fullsizeoutput_ce6.jpeg

Dead wax from LP 1
fullsizeoutput_cec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_ced.jpeg

You asked for it, you got it --

Outside of box - front
View attachment 99161

Outside of box - side view of LP inserts
View attachment 99162

Outside of box - rear view
View attachment 99163

Inside LP insert - front view
View attachment 99164

LP view - they're packaged in a nice Mofi sleeve and a white paper cover
View attachment 99165

Back view of LP insert (LP 1)
View attachment 99166

Back view of LP insert (LP 2)
View attachment 99167

Paper insert accompanying the LPs - front view
View attachment 99168

Paper insert accompanying the LPs - opened view
View attachment 99169

Paper insert accompanying the LPs - back view
View attachment 99170

Dead wax from LP 1
View attachment 99171View attachment 99172
Very interesting, the fact they use 2 LP's for the one LP release originally.
I assume that is to really stretch out the room, space, on the analog recording, sorry, don't know how to really say it.
The insides are larger versions of the SACD.
Very cool.

Very interesting, the fact they use 2 LP's for the one LP release originally.
I assume that is to really stretch out the room, space, on the analog recording, sorry, don't know how to really say it.
The insides are larger versions of the SACD.
Very cool.
It's pressed as a 45rpm not 33rpm, so it is spread out over 4 sides. And I believe you are correct, stretching it out gives improved sound as they're not using the smaller section of the grooves. This reduces inner groove distortion...at least that's what I've read 🤪. You may notice in the pics that the dead wax area is huge.

It's pressed as a 45rpm not 33rpm, so it is spread out over 4 sides. And I believe you are correct, stretching it out gives improved sound as they're not using the smaller section of the grooves. This reduces inner groove distortion...at least that's what I've read 🤪. You may notice in the pics that the dead wax area is huge.
This might be a stupid question but I have to ask,,,, How does the turntable handle such a large runoff area? Does it just keep playing dead air until you go over and lift the arm up manually? It's been a long time since I've had a turntable and I never had any LPs that didn't have the normal runoff area and length.

This might be a stupid question but I have to ask,,,, How does the turntable handle such a large runoff area? Does it just keep playing dead air until you go over and lift the arm up manually? It's been a long time since I've had a turntable and I never had any LPs that didn't have the normal runoff area and length.
But, because it's spinning faster, that ending dead wax doesn't last very long. And yes, it will continue to spin until you manually lift the arm. Some may have semi-automatic tables. I don't.

Back