Van Morrison "Moondance" (Standalone Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix coming in December!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New from Rhino - not quad - 5.1 and Dolby Atmos - Van Morrison Moondance - great price!

Moondance (Deluxe) (Blu-ray) | Rhino Official Store

Rhino Canada also has it so Canadian folks will want to buy there.
Thanks for the info - definitely will order this as this is a pretty good;) effort by Van...and at a reasonable price. Specifically, I think "Into the Mystic" would sound great in surround since it has a surreal, atmospheric feel to it.

Last edited:
I hope this pre-release of Van Morrison's Moondance is a portent of much, Much, MUCH more to come! Go Rhino!
https://store.rhino.com/en/rhino-st...on/moondance-deluxe-blu-ray/603497829262.html
So, the contents of the disc mention 2022 Steven Wilson high res stereo and instrumental mixes. His name isn't connected with the Atmos tracks . Did he in fact mix the surround portions of this? If not, who did? Didn't Elliott Scheiner mix the previous 5.1? If it manages to surpass that release (and why go through the trouble if it doesn't) it could be the release of the year.

Steven Wilson absolutely did mix the Atmos version, it's been available to stream since March:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tmos-mix-coming-in-november.33987/post-684836I think it's better than the Scheiner 5.1 mix, but there was some interesting debate over in that thread.
Oh, boy…here we go. First I re-buy all my vinyl albums on CD…then I re-buy as many of those as possible in 5.1…now I’m going to re-buy those in Atmos?!
My wallet is groaning…but it’s a good problem to have 💸😵‍💫💸

Last edited:
So, the contents of the disc mention 2022 Steven Wilson high res stereo and instrumental mixes. His name isn't connected with the Atmos tracks . Did he in fact mix the surround portions of this? If not, who did? Didn't Elliott Scheiner mix the previous 5.1? If it manages to surpass that release (and why go through the trouble if it doesn't) it could be the release of the year.
The Atmos mix is Steven Wilson's and it is sublime.
The 5.1 is the 2013 Elliott Scheiner mix.
There are new stereo and instrumental mixes on the disc from Mr. Wilson.
We also included the OG remastered stereo mix from the 2013 Deluxe Moondance by Denny Purcell at Georgetown Mastering. I don't think I credited him properly on that release.

AR: Forgive me father for I have sinned. I do not own Moondance in any form.
Priest: No worries, my son. For your penance, say 10 Hail Mary's...then pick up the forthcoming Rhino blu-ray. Now go in peace.
Priest (aside): I have just saved another lost soul.

Looking forward to this release and very pleased that it is at a reasonable price.

AR: Forgive me father for I have sinned. I do not own Moondance in any form.
Priest: No worries, my son. For your penance, say 10 Hail Mary's...then pick up the forthcoming Rhino blu-ray. Now go in peace.
Priest (aside): I have just saved another lost soul.

Looking forward to this release and very pleased that it is at a reasonable price.
The 5.1 mix is great.

The Atmos mix is Steven Wilson's and it is sublime.
The 5.1 is the 2013 Elliott Scheiner mix.
There are new stereo and instrumental mixes on the disc from Mr. Wilson.
We also included the OG remastered stereo mix from the 2013 Deluxe Moondance by Denny Purcell at Georgetown Mastering. I don't think I credited him properly on that release.
You work at Rhino, right? It may help to tell someone to update the preorder page, because this listing is ambiguous and confusing to people considering buying the release. Thanks for all the work you do! ❤️
Screenshot_20230922-065816.png

Ha, is this the SDE Surround Series effect? Nice to see the major labels jumping on the bda train again.

This reminds me of the days of the early 1980s. MFSL had started their half-speed master LP series with great success. And so Columbia jumped on the bandwagon and started their own half-speed series. Good!

Another buy for me. Fall is shaping up to be an expensive year for us what with The Who, Jethro Tull, Steven Wilson’s new solo record, XTC, and Zappa.

An essential album for any music collector and this ticks all the boxes in one go. A nice hi res version of the original mix along with a new Atmos mix and it includes Scheiner’s original mix which I was never able to obtain. A little bit of a shame we’ll never hear Steven’s 5.1 but I’m sure the Atmos will fold down nicely.

This is how a surround release should be done going forward and I hope it’s a sign of things to come from Rhino!

Think the $100 free shipping option counts for preorders? If so, I'm gonna wait for the Quadio bundle order to be available before getting both this blu ray and that set.View attachment 96562
Good idea! Is the Moondance standalone a Rhino Store exclusive or will that also be at Amazon etc.? If the price is close though, I'll go through Rhino Store to incentivize more releases!

Back