What DVD Burner are you using in your PC?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
What DVD Burner are you using in or with your PC?

This thread could be a help to those starting out or wanting to replace a defective burner. I currently am using:

PLEXTOR PX-740A Internal and a
PLEXTOR PX-716A Internal

BTW, another brand to avoid if you want to burn dvd-audio: TSST (Toshiba-Samsung). A perfect dvd-a coaster-maker, while for dvd-v works fine.

Mad Dog Multimedia Dominator 6-in-1 Special Edition 12x.

I got it way back when I first put together this computer. Back then, I never knew I was going to be burning DVD-As.

The only problem I have is with the type of discs I use for DVD-A playback in my Acura TL. Otherwise, it's more than fine.

But a Pioneer would be nice...

UPDATE: Plextor PX-760a had became useless prior to the PC maintenance (below), not recognizing discs of any kind. Did a firmware upgrade, re-checked IDE setting; both this and Lite-On DVD drive are still set as cable select. Drive is on year old.

After holiday HD swap/XP Pro fresh install, the PX-760A has come back to service as DVD-R burner. It still doesn't read CDs of any kind? I have to walk over to PC #2 if I want to copy a CD, just a nuisance factor.

Over at PC#2, the Plextor PX712A will write DVDs, but not CDs, whereas NEC2510A will write CDs, but not DVDs! That's alot to keep straight. PC#3 (elder son) has a Pioneer A05 (paid $248!!!) that functions only as a DVD player; swift fall from grace leaves bad taste in my mouth.

Given the low cost of drives, I am going to replace at least two of them. Plextor's reputation seems to be taking a beating, what's good these days? I'm considering Samsung, Lite-On or ? Past Sony & Pioneer issues make me not want more of same.

I have nothing but good things to say about LG. I have been using them for years. My latest one an H10a is about 2 years old and has had lots of usage. Not sure about the newer ones but for $50 if it lasts a few years how can you go wrong.
I haven't had a CD or DVD burn failure yet in those 2 years on the H10a. I am burning DVD at 12x and CD's at 24x which are both below the rated speed of the drive.

It was just a generic OEM version. Device manager says it is a GSA-H54N if that tells you anything.

The trouble is that they seem to change the model numbers every 6 months or so. Good to hear that the newer models are just as good as the older ones. They seem to be up to the model 55 now. Just checked the price at the local store and it was $32

Last edited:
Was planning on NewEgg.com order last night; IDE LG DVD is out of stock so I requested email notification.

It's amazing there are SO MANY options in the $25-$40 range these days; dizzy from so many variations by each company.

Back