What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thursday Nights haul.

Attachments

• Q8_SM.jpg
    Q8_SM.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 113
3 from Cat Stevens (Catch Bull At Four, Tea And The Tillerman, Teaser And The Firecat),
Enoch Light Permissive Polyphonics, Bonnie Koloc After All This Time, Mickey Newbury Frisco Mabel Joy, Poco Deliverin', Dave Mason (LOVE this one in Quad)

Great haul! Love Permissive Polyphonics, one of my fave Project 3 quads. Enoch’s take on “Marrakesh Express” is wild and it’s a go-to track for me when testing seperation in quad decoders.

Curious how the Poco turns out as well- as I’m sure you know the SQ isn’t great...

3 from Cat Stevens (Catch Bull At Four, Tea And The Tillerman, Teaser And The Firecat),
Enoch Light Permissive Polyphonics, Bonnie Koloc After All This Time, Mickey Newbury Frisco Mabel Joy, Poco Deliverin', Dave Mason (LOVE this one in Quad)

View attachment 38342

View attachment 38343
Was Tea for the Tillerman another A&M quadro-echo-plex, or a real mix in 4-channel?

Hi. All

I got in the post the other day some Q8 & a Q4 tapes the Q4 tape is a bit of a rarity to get.

( A&M. Q4 4CHA (M)-14 -Quincy Johnes You`ve Got It Bad : Japanese Tape )-
( RCA. Q8 PQ8-1442 -The Guess Who Wheatfield Soul )-
( RCA. Q8 PQ8-2064 -The Jimmy Caster Bunch Phase Two )-
( RCA. Q8 AOT1-0141 -Jose Feliciano Compartments )-

View attachment 37608View attachment 37609View attachment 37610View attachment 37611View attachment 37612
Those RCA Q8s look like they were still sealed stock, and you just got them and opened them up. Plus stored in cool dry place because labels are so white.

Do Japanese reels on Q4 sound better than US Q4s so far as fidelity? I'd think they would care about tape duplication like they do LP pressings.

Hi. All
Once again I came across a Japanese Auction that had a rare Q4 Reel to Reel Tape of John Lennon "Imagine" I did bid on it but it went over my budget..
The final bid went to $885.96 US. I managed to get 2 other lesser Q4 tapes.. Im of to bed now...…..:sleep:

View attachment 36931View attachment 36932View attachment 36933
Now that the Quad mix of Imagine is out on bluray disc, the ultra-rare Japanese Q4s might appear more often for auction, and go for a lower price.

Was Tea for the Tillerman another A&M quadro-echo-plex, or a real mix in 4-channel?

I'm curious what Adam says, but I'd bet on it being fake. The tracks from Tea on the Greatest Hits quad definitely seem fake.

I have Teaser and Foreigner on Q8, Buddha and Foreigner in SQ, and Greatest Hits in CD-4. Foreigner is definitely the best of the lot in terms of quad separation. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to compare the Q8 with the SQ through my Tate, and the SQ was surprisingly good.

I'm curious what Adam says, but I'd bet on it being fake. The tracks from Tea on the Greatest Hits quad definitely seem fake.

I have Teaser and Foreigner on Q8, Buddha and Foreigner in SQ, and Greatest Hits in CD-4. Foreigner is definitely the best of the lot in terms of quad separation. A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to compare the Q8 with the SQ through my Tate, and the SQ was surprisingly good.
So Greatest Hits on CD-4 is not all good nor bad but a mix of quality so far as real quad goes?

So Greatest Hits on CD-4 is not all good nor bad but a mix of quality so far as real quad goes?

I’d say that’s about right. I don’t think any of the mixes on the Greatest Hits are different than the individual albums.

The real multitrack-derived mixes on that comp are still pretty conservative, but I do remember stuff like the backing vocals in the rears on “Oh Very Young”.

The Foreigner album has the drums completely isolated in the rears.

There should be a poll thread for the Greatest Hits quad somewhere...

Too bad about Tillerman, such an important album yet no one bothered with a good q mix. Maybe A&M did not get the multis from Island, and could not do s real remix.

Last edited:
Those RCA Q8s look like they were still sealed stock, and you just got them and opened them up. Plus stored in cool dry place because labels are so white.

Do Japanese reels on Q4 sound better than US Q4s so far as fidelity? I'd think they would care about tape duplication like they do LP pressings.

Hi. quicksrt

I can vouch for the Japanese Q4 tapes in my opinion in comparison with the US vs Japanese is superior in that the Japanese use Maxell duplicating tape ware the US tapes used mainly Ampex & Magtec tape and you can get problem with Ampex tapes squealing there has been NO reports of Maxell tape ever given any such problem`s the quality sound surperb there is very little tape hiss, my 2 pennies worth...
BBQ.

i've not tried these exact tapes and won't be able to until my Akai's up and running again but i found the only worthwhile Quad mix of his was Foreigner, the others all smacked of fakery when i was trying out conversions. possibly Buddha may have been a genuine mix but i've never tried my Q8 of that only the SQ, don't think i ever grabbed a Q8 conversion of that one so not sure.

Interesting post by @steelydave regarding that theory here.

yes i think Dave's right, they were all A&M US fakes, apart from Buddha & Foreigner which were the two i thought may have been genuine.

i remember getting some interesting results running an old Cat Stevens compilation CD thru PLII Music years ago, more surroundily satisfying than the Quads.

yes i think Dave's right, they were all A&M US fakes, apart from Buddha & Foreigner which were the two i thought may have been genuine.

i remember getting some interesting results running an old Cat Stevens compilation CD thru PLII Music years ago, more surroundily satisfying than the Quads.

Hey, I just noticed freddie blue went over 20,000 posts not long ago, did I miss a party or something:eek:

:51QQ
:love::QQlove:love:

Hi. All

More Q8 have arrived.

( GRT. Ranwood Q8 C7058-8003 -Lawrence Welk Love Is Blue )-
( GRT. Soundbird Q8 7509 H -Mystic Moods Erogenous )-
( London. Q8 PAR L 771065 -Engelbert Humperdinck My Love )-
( Atlantic. Q8 ATL QT-72560798 -Spinners )-
( GRT. Dot Q8 C 7150-26006 -Donna Fargo My Second Album )-

This tape is not a Q8 Tape but has 4channel on the cover so I bought it out of curiosity It might be a matrix tape I`ll come back with my findings with this one..
( Orion. 4ch tape Japanese.... )-

View attachment 37600View attachment 37601View attachment 37602View attachment 37606View attachment 37603
View attachment 37605
What do you do when you get a Q8 that has no quad notch out of the insert end? Soldering iron here we come?

Back