Quantcast

HiRez Poll Who, The - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the BDA of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

• Total voters

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Anyone who gave this anything above a 6 is FUCKING DEAF!!!
I gave it a 10, because I love it and sounds great. My eye sight is still great, cuz I can read and my ears are fine tuned and hearing quite good, actually.

Pibroch

Also, just got a chance to listen to this -- lots of changes from the CD/Vinyl I've heard so far. Some alternate vocal tracks used, and "Is It In My Head?" has a completely different drum take. I'm sure that's not news to anyone, I've not skimmed this entire thread. Guitars could be louder. I'd still give it a 9 though. Everything sounds clean and very nice. Some extra little guitar here and there too.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I moved all of the Vegas posts to its own dedicated thread for further discussion, because as a reminder, all posts relating to subject matter that do not directly relate to the high-res disc at hand are to be kept OUT of the poll threads.

WKRP

Just picked this up from JB Hi-Fi. It did not have the red sticker, but rather wrapped in plastic with a JB Hi-Fi logo in the plastic (not a sticker).

IMG_1926.jpgIMG_1927.jpg

Snood

Staff member
Just picked this up from JB Hi-Fi. It did not have the red sticker, but rather wrapped in plastic with a JB Hi-Fi logo in the plastic (not a sticker).

Yeah JB still has some hard to get ones too - they in Australia and sometimes takes a while to get out the order - but it does get here to the USA

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/?q=pure audio&

Got my Deep Purple- Made in Japan - Supertramp - Breakfast in America (Stereos) and an extra copy of Quadrophenia (MCH) all for regular retail about 5 or 6 months ago.

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I'm defiantly a Who fan but never really cared much for this album, the only real highlight is "Love Reign O'er Me". Surround wise it's a typical 5.1 mix, not nearly immersive enough for me, I suspect that the 2.0 decoded would be more satisfying. The disc does have a few amazing surround moments but they don't carry all the way through. In"Helpless Dancer" the vocals jump from speaker to speaker, very cool but I want more stuff like that! I do love Blu-Ray "Pure Audio" disc's and would recommend this disc as you also get the original 1973 stereo version in hi-rez and a new 2014 mix as well, a great value for the money. Based on musical content and surround mix I give it 7.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
i've seen people here and on the SHF/FBk etc say they find the low end diminished and never recalled having much of a problem but today i went through the 5.1 on the computer with a semi-fine tooth comb to cut the mixes' hair (!).. and blow me down but the mix has some interesting things going on, chiefly with the Centre and LFE but the mix as a whole can best be described (imho) as excellent but inconsistent.

there is cool content in the LFE (including lots and lots of lovely bass) but it is often fairly significantly dialled down. on several tracks a boost of +10dB helps ("The Real Me" for example). is this an authoring or LFE bug or as intended by the mix engineer?

there is also sometimes some amazing content "hidden" in the Centre channel, such as dry lead vocals some of the time on some tracks ("The Real Me" again is an interesting one) however like the LFE it too is sometimes really low level and what do we get instead but lead vocals mixed into all other channels at nigh-on equal power which gives certain tracks a kinda diffuse quality whereas other tracks have lovely pinpoint surround soundstaging. strange..

to knock anything off hurts.. i adore the band and the album.. and the surround mix has many many highlights with all sorts of fabulous stuff flying around the room (so many cool sound effects pop up in the Rears, sometimes to startling effect!!) and not every song is affected by the lower Centre & LFE level thing.. but i feel sufficient time has passed now (!) to get over the excitement of getting the whole thing in surround and since we can change our votes at QQ (brilliant!) it can't be a "10" anymore.. downrated to a "9". a high "9" but still a "9". think i may have been spoiled by too many perfectly balanced old DV Quads.. 🤔

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
there is cool content in the LFE (including lots and lots of lovely bass) but it is often fairly significantly dialled down. on several tracks a boost of +10dB helps ("The Real Me" for example). is this an authoring or LFE bug or as intended by the mix engineer?
Ah ha...so that's why The Real Me on this mix sounds de-balled...One of my main complaints about it.

ashr1565

So here's a possible hot take, but I think this is the one-and-only definitive version of Quadrophenia. This album was so made for surround sound, fits it like a glove. Bob Pridden wasn't afraid of screwing around with the balance and imaging compared to the original album, and I know some people hate that but I've seen multichannel mixes hurt by slavish devotion to the original mix(Close to the Edge...) so I can appreciate it. Quad Quad(haha) is daring and crazy, the drums thunder like I've never heard before on any Who album, bar maybe SACD 5.1 Tommy. I only have the 1973 mix as reference but to me this bluray is crystal clear for audio quality too. So much I've never heard before...

Does it have problems? Sure, you NEED to crank the sub up because the .1 channel is too quiet for its own good, that's a minor issue though. The last word on I've Had Enough is too quiet and they swapped the vocal take on Helpless Dancer, so the line *Something in our story's wrong* stops short which I hate, but the mixing is very creative through the whole thing - it seems like as it goes on it gets more inventive. The Real Me and Cut My Hair are a bit conservative mixwise but by I'm One the rears and stuff are getting worked out nicely. And there are times when guitar and stuff come from center that really made me sit up.

10. In spite of its problems it really was like hearing it for the first time again. The Rock and Quadrophenia benefit a lot from having more room to breathe with five channels, too... Incredible disc.

Bought it this year though, if only it wasn't $90 shipped... this thing has gone up in price.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
After ripping this disc years ago, I put it on a shelf in another room, and FORGOT about the disc AND the rip, lol... last night while browsing my hard drive I rediscovered it and gave it a first listen. The musical content is killer. The surround mix has plenty of discrete activity throughout (although some songs are more conservative than others), and the surround elements are not merely limited to horns/ keyboards... you also get some nice rhythm guitars and some cool panning effects from time to time (such as the vocals moving around the room on "Helpless Dancer"). I agree with others who have mentioned the levels from song to song can be uneven... for example "Quadrophenia" is quite a bit lower in level than most of the other songs (although that is easily remedied in Audacity if you rip your discs). The bass tends to be a little weak on many songs, but again, a boost here and there of the LFE channel in Audacity helps quite a bit (I think on "The Rock" the bass is isolated in the center channel, so I just boosted that channel and it sounds great). The only thing I'm a bit disappointed with is the closing track, "Love Reign O'er Me", which I was really looking forward to... it just sounds a little underwhelming to me, maybe a little muddy? The synthesizers on the track are a bit buried, as are the lead vocals. Luckily, there's a dry lead vocal in the center channel that can be boosted, so that helps. It's still a good sounding track... I guess I just had higher expectations after hearing how great some of the other tracks sound ("The Real Thing", "Quadrophenia", "I'm One", "5:15", among others). I'm glad I have this as part of my Who surround collection (along with the Tommy blu-ray and various DIY mixes from Rockband stems). I think I prefer the Tommy mix over this one, though (with the recommended channel swap putting the drums in the front left). I'll give Quadrophenia an 8.

HDave

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Just mentioned to Banana man :dance Snood that I was going to part with this because of poor fidelity on the 5.1 mix, which is why we are here (Multichannel fanatics). The stereo sounds great in comparison, seeing as I rarely play it.
Reminds me of the Songs from the Big Chair Blu Ray which also has clarity issues. And having to adjust speaker levels to compensate doesn't bode well with me. When my system plays the stereo mix flawlessly the problems are with placement and volume levels from the mixing of the 5.1. I confer with Keenly and jaypfunk on this one and lowered my vote from a 7 to a 6.
Great band live though 🤟 1975 when they still were in their prime.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
So what is the story on why we now have a complete 5.1 representation of all the tracks and the Director's Cut in 2011 only had 8?
I thought I read at the time that the masters were lost. Did they resurface or was it a money grab?
They ran out of time and rushed the incomplete mix into the bog box just to get it all to market is the story I gathered. Tapes were never claimed to be lost, but the implication was it would or might not ever be completed. Lake in commercial potential and lack of interest from Pete.

So glad that they reconsidered.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Some early pressings of the BR disc had the printed layer of the disc pealing of the damn thing. Like total breakdown of the disc seal. I held off on buying it until that dust had settled. Prices dropped on the used market to $14.99 for still sealed copies, but of held out wanting to make sure I got one from s different batch. Paid $35 but mines find. It’s become a tad expensive since.

Btw, I think it’s a 9, and the new stereo mix is wonderful - but I wonder if it’s just a fold of the 5.1 to 2.0?

Last edited:

jaypfunk

Posted this almost 6 years ago and never got an answer. Anyone???

Any one else have a terrible skipping/flutter problem while playing the 1973 stereo track? Mine has digi flutter thru the entire stereo track. Sending it back to Amazon for replacement.

marpow

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
Posted this almost 6 years ago and never got an answer. Anyone???

Any one else have a terrible skipping/flutter problem while playing the 1973 stereo track? Mine has digi flutter thru the entire stereo track. Sending it back to Amazon for replacement.
This was the first disc back in 2014 that I had a big problem with. It would not play, the drive in the player would ramp up about 3 times and stop with Unknown Disc on panel.
I returned to Amazon 4 times, I had to have a copy that worked, I talked to someone in the industry and long story short.
Take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and sand the inside of hole on disc, just a little, maybe a little more if you need to. The answer was told to me that some times the hole pressings are just too tight for certain players.
This has happened to me two times since and always works.
Your problem might be different than mine but doesn't sound like my experience would hurt.

jaypfunk

This was the first disc back in 2014 that I had a big problem with. It would not play, the drive in the player would ramp up about 3 times and stop with Unknown Disc on panel.
I returned to Amazon 4 times, I had to have a copy that worked, I talked to someone in the industry and long story short.
Take a piece of fine grit sandpaper and sand the inside of hole on disc, just a little, maybe a little more if you need to. The answer was told to me that some times the hole pressings are just too tight for certain players.
This has happened to me two times since and always works.
Your problem might be different than mine but doesn't sound like my experience would hurt.
Wow. So weird. I don't get this. Why would the tightness of the hole (insert Dice Clay joke here) make any difference? Shouldn't it be tight so it doesn't slip when spinning?

Last edited: