Why did I buy that album?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I have to 'fess up. I'm no different than the rest of you. I buy albums for a variety of reasons. I thought about posting this thread as a poll but I think it would be more fun as a discussion. Okay, I'll start.

1)It's a slam dunk. Love the band, love the music, love the performance, love the mix. Think DSOTM, the White Album, Electric Ladyland, the Beatles' Love, Tommy on Blu Ray. Few of you would disagree, I'm sure.
2)I don't absolutely love the band but they definitely came up with something special here, plus, the mix is sooooo cool! Think Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
3)Another QQer said that he/she loved it. Again, think Yoshimi...(thanks @edisonbaggins!)
4)It's Scheiner/Wilson/Parsons, etc. I just had to have it(though I never play it). Think New York Voices - Let It Snow.
4)I like the band and I'm a bit of a collector. Think War Child. A good album but not in the league of Aqualung. Regardless of what you think of War Child, this is my list! Don't taze me 'bro!
5)I want to support surround releases. Think Paul Revere And The Raiders. It's okay but I mostly want to keep Michael Dutton in the surround business.
6)I know it's going to go OOP after which it will cost me a zillion bucks if I can find it for sale at all. Yeah, I'm a collector with fear of missing out. Here I'm thinking Chris Squire Fish Out Of Water. It's okay but even if it royally sucked I still would have bought it.
7)I love the album and it's a different mix. Yes, there's probably a 12 step program for guys like me. Think the Allman Brothers Live At The Fillmore East. Yeah, I also have two different versions of Hourglass(James Taylor) and Blow By Blow(Jeff Beck).
8)It's a classic with a happening mix. Think Bitches Brew.
9)I just love this album since I was in school and I would buy it even if it was in mono. I'm thinking All American Boy. Or Eli And The Thirteenth Confession. YMMV but again, it's my list!
10)I love the band, I love the album. I would have bought it regardless of what I later thought of the mix. Think Gaucho.
11)I'm a collector. I couldn't find a good reason not to buy it. It's a disappointment but I'm not sorry that I sprang for the cash. Think The Beatles 1+.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll add more reasons if and when I come up with more. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what the rest of you think!

I have to 'fess up. I'm no different than the rest of you. I buy albums for a variety of reasons. I thought about posting this thread as a poll but I think it would be more fun as a discussion. Okay, I'll start.

1)It's a slam dunk. Love the band, love the music, love the performance, love the mix. Think DSOTM, the White Album, Electric Ladyland, the Beatles' Love, Tommy on Blu Ray. Few of you would disagree, I'm sure.
2)I don't absolutely love the band but they definitely came up with something special here, plus, the mix is sooooo cool! Think Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.
3)Another QQer said that he/she loved it. Again, think Yoshimi...(thanks @edisonbaggins!)
4)It's Scheiner/Wilson/Parsons, etc. I just had to have it(though I never play it). Think New York Voices - Let It Snow.
4)I like the band and I'm a bit of a collector. Think War Child. A good album but not in the league of Aqualung. Regardless of what you think of War Child, this is my list! Don't taze me 'bro!
5)I want to support surround releases. Think Paul Revere And The Raiders. It's okay but I mostly want to keep Michael Dutton in the surround business.
6)I know it's going to go OOP after which it will cost me a zillion bucks if I can find it for sale at all. Yeah, I'm a collector with fear of missing out. Here I'm thinking Chris Squire Fish Out Of Water. It's okay but even if it royally sucked I still would have bought it.
7)I love the album and it's a different mix. Yes, there's probably a 12 step program for guys like me. Think the Allman Brothers Live At The Fillmore East. Yeah, I also have two different versions of Hourglass(James Taylor) and Blow By Blow(Jeff Beck).
9)I just love this album since I was in school and I would buy it even if it was in mono. I'm thinking All American Boy. Or Eli And The Thirteenth Confession. YMMV but again, it's my list!
10)I love the band, I love the album. I would have bought it regardless of what I later thought of the mix. Think Gaucho.
11)I'm a collector. I couldn't find a good reason not to buy it. It's a disappointment but I'm not sorry that I sprang for the cash. Think The Beatles 1+.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll add more reasons if and when I come up with more. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what the rest of you think!

Because it was cheap and I can't resist a Bargain!

All the reasons you mentioned plus, it may have a producer or mastering engineer I like; or, a collection of musicians or style of music that's interesting / unusual.

To get my ROXS OFF:

See the source image

Back