Why? Dolby/Digital

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyandi

900 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
A friend of mine has a XBOX with the HD/DVD player
We played the HD/DVD music disc's Jazz Standards &The Way To Paradise
they are DTS HD sound
I thought that at least the DTS logo would show
but the D/Digital lights up on the amp
Does any body know if there is a D/D track as a back up
on the disc
There is nothing in the pack that it comes in to tell you anything
It is like buying a cheap CD from a supermarket
Ron

Ron.
I would guess that one of 3 things is happening here:
1 - The disc is mislabelled, or
2 - The X-Box, like the PS-2, has to be set to DTS rather than Dolby Digital.
3 - The DTS-HD Stream for some inexplicable reason does not have a core audio stream embedded - and I do not think it's actually possible to do this (I will check & post back)

EDIT.
Discount possibility no.3, as it is simply not possible to encode to either DTS-HD High Resolution or DTS-HD MAS without embedding a core stream for full backwards compatibility.
So we are left with possibility number 1 or 2, with number 2 being my guess.

I noticed when I played the HD-DVD of "Uncommon Bach" on my XBOX into my Denon 4306ci, it displayed "Dolby Digital" as well. Not sure why. I think the XBOX may futz with the audio.

No matter that light up you are hearing DTS HD MA (core audio) on your XBOX but please let me know that additional information you think should be available for customers of this titles.

Thank you

Alexander.

BUt does the X-Box require the Audio to be reset from DD to DTS, as the PS2 does? With PS2 it is apparently necessary to set the digital out manually to DTS.

The X Box has several limitation on re-play of DTS HD MA, there are several threads about it on avs. I will find some and post back.

The X Box has several limitation on re-play of DTS HD MA, there are several threads about it on avs. I will find some and post back.

I am on it too.

I invite my HD DVD authoring consultant to partisipate the forum.
He is one of the best in a business and can answer all your questions.

Cheers

Alexander

Hi,

If your receiver is not showing DTS when you are watching a DTS-HD stream from the Xbox360 it is because you have it set to something other than DTS.

1. When your HD-DVD is playing, press "B" on the Xbox360 controler.

2. Select "Advanced settings" from the menu that appears.

3. Select "Audio settings"

4. Select "DTS"

Now your light will turn on in your receiver. These special audio settings are not available in the regular Xbox360 menu. They are only available while the disc is playing back.

Currently the best "Core" experience is found by setting the Xbox360 to output DTS. Its 1.5 Mb bandwidth is larger than the alternate choices of WMA, and Dolby Digital. The fold down matrix is determained when the DTS-HD files are created. The playback device is only following the script that is embedded in the DTS-HD track. In the future high end receivers will probably have options for playback of the fold down matrix, and they will alter the script on the fly.

Thank you,

Jason

No matter that light up you are hearing DTS HD MA (core audio) on your XBOX but please let me know that additional information you think should be available for customers of this titles.

Thank you

Alexander.

What I would like to know

A comparison
(A Chart )
DTS/HD
DTS 24/96
DTS

Is there a backward playback track DTS/ D/D on the disc

What happens to tracks 6/7 when a
7.1 disc is played at 5.1

and the names of the artists or
orchestras
maybe some thing on the recording process
ron

What I would like to know

A comparison
(A Chart )
DTS/HD
DTS 24/96
DTS

Is there a backward playback track DTS/ D/D on the disc

What happens to tracks 6/7 when a
7.1 disc is played at 5.1

and the names of the artists or
orchestras
maybe some thing on the recording process
ron

Dear Ron,

The best way to learn about DTS technology is to visit dts.com web site.
this is the link to animated demo that I think will answer all your questions.

Our HD DVD-Audio titles featuring DTS-HD MA stream only and don’t have DD back up track.

"What happens to tracks 6/7 when a
7.1 disc is played at 5.1?"
It is a very good question.
DTS-HD encoder allows to mix 7.1 into 5.1 configurations for the core stream playback. This feature allow to achieve this well balanced 5.1 mixes of original 7.1 music material that you could experience listening "The Way to Paradise"
on your XBox.

I perform, compose and produce all my records myself, and have a lot to share about creative process. But about that later.

Thank you for giving attention to these issues.

Alexander.

Back