Why is it that anti-surround people always have to state their opionions.............

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"sicksteve" looks like another shit disturber. WTF is he playing Talking Heads in "Logic7"??????

That thread is mostly positive about surround. It appears I have been banned from that forum, I can log in but can't post or inquire as to why I can't post. Never been banned from a forum before and I have no idea why although I do recall making a couple of posts there. Lots of knowledgable collectors hang out there.

Chris

That thread is mostly positive about surround. It appears I have been banned from that forum, I can log in but can't post or inquire as to why I can't post. Never been banned from a forum before and I have no idea why although I do recall making a couple of posts there. Lots of knowledgable collectors hang out there.

Chris

You? You seem fairly level headed, unlike me.;) Seems strange for you to be banned.

You? You seem fairly level headed, unlike me.;) Seems strange for you to be banned.

I don't remember anything about my posts there although I am certainly not a fan of $350 speaker wires or $200 connection cables or gold CD's or a number of other things similar to snake oil which I see discussed there. I don't think I ever offered any opinions on those things, but no matter since I frequent a number of audio/video forums where I do post enough to keep me busy. I have seen a couple of questions and WTB posts that I could have responded to with authority.

Chris

I don't remember anything about my posts there although I am certainly not a fan of $350 speaker wires or $200 connection cables or gold CD's or a number of other things similar to snake oil which I see discussed there. I don't think I ever offered any opinions on those things, but no matter since I frequent a number of audio/video forums where I do post enough to keep me busy. I have seen a couple of questions and WTB posts that I could have responded to with authority.

Chris

Ah, but have you listened to the Beatles with $350/ft speaker wire? In mono?

I agree, these people have WAY too much money! I wonder if they spend more time listening to their speaker wire or their music.

Chris

Chris,

I can't believe someone like you would have been banned. Believe me, it takes a consensus to ban someone over there, and you would never have been banned in my opinion.

If you like, PM me with your user name and I will ask -=Rudy=- to check into it.

Chris

Chris--drop a line to us via the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page, and we'll look into it for you. Let us know your user ID (login name) and we'll take a look at it for you. We did some upgrades and stuff, and occasionally find something has gone wonky.

Thanks!

.............in a discussion about surround sound?

Someone started a thread over at SHF about the best 5.1 SACD/DVD-A releases, and it did not take long for the "Two eared morons" to start chiming in.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=91989

Same old bullshit.

:mad:

Well, I put in my thoughts as well. I have surround discs I can't get enough of, and others are just mediocre at best.

What I don't understand is why we all can't just get along nicely! :mad: C'mon, nobody is forcing the two-channel fans to listen to surround, and vice versa. Some people even prefer mono for some recordings, present company included. That's the reason why we try to get rid of the threadcrapping--nothing spoils a surround discussion more than the two-channel proponents telling us all why surround is such a nasty, evil thing... *sigh*

Or to put it another way: I can't stand most professional sports, but do I go into all of the football and baseball threads and crap all over 'em? NO! Some people just don't understand the idea of every one of us having different opinions about...well, about everything. And while I usually respect others' opinions, that doesn't mean I have to agree with them either. It's called tolerance. ;)

Ya! It seems like folks who either don't want surround, can't afford surround, don't have the space for surround, try to justify their situation by dumping on surround. Why bother.

Like Rudy says, if I don't like Basketball, I don't post in a basketball thread saying how the sport sucks! (I do like basketball, I'm just using this as an example)

Chris

I'd be surprised if you got banned. I have been over the line a number of times and I am still able to post etc.

What I don't understand is why we all can't just get along nicely! :mad: C'mon, nobody is forcing the two-channel fans to listen to surround, and vice versa. Some people even prefer mono for some recordings, present company included. That's the reason why we try to get rid of the threadcrapping--nothing spoils a surround discussion more than the two-channel proponents telling us all why surround is such a nasty, evil thing... *sigh* ;)

Our "hobby" is full of that kinda crap. Stereo versus multichannel, SACD versus DVD-Audio, tubes versus solid state, analogue versus digital; vinyl versus CD ... hell it has been around for decades ... 8-track versus cassette ... VHS versus Beta ... I just think that the anonymity of the Internet allows people to be a$$holes about it, without actually having to do it to someone's face and risk a smack in the mouth ... and there will always be the Luddites who think that the Earth is flat. You are right Rudy, there is plenty to agree on, without getting all polar and dogmatic about things. Gee, I have a great surround sound system AND a high-end two-channel system (that I PREFER some days) ... where do I fit in?

I feel a Coke commercial coming on ... everyone to the top of the mountain with your bottle of Coke ... OK, now SING!!! :D Cheers, Mike.

Chris--drop a line to us via the Contact Us link at the bottom of any forum page, and we'll look into it for you. Let us know your user ID (login name) and we'll take a look at it for you. We did some upgrades and stuff, and occasionally find something has gone wonky.

Thanks!

Or maybe Chris tried to reply in a dead (archived) or closed thread?

Anything's possible! ;) As Jon could probably attest, the permissions system in this forum software has a bit of a learning curve, and I've hit quite a few stumbling blocks over the past few years. I still find these little surprises every few weeks, either some feature that has changed, or something doesn't work the way I think it would. *sigh* Never a dull moment!

One other thing that's possible, too: if you change your e-mail address in your profile, the system will deactivate your account until you check your e-mail to reply to the confirmation message. The bad thing about this is that some providers' spam filters catch these notifications from vBulletin forums and the end user never gets them. About a week later, we'll get the e-mail from the member saying anything from, "My account doesn't work" to, believe it or not, "Why did you ban me?!?"

Our "hobby" is full of that kinda crap. Stereo versus multichannel, SACD versus DVD-Audio, tubes versus solid state, analogue versus digital; vinyl versus CD ... hell it has been around for decades ... 8-track versus cassette ... VHS versus Beta ... I just think that the anonymity of the Internet allows people to be a$$holes about it, without actually having to do it to someone's face and risk a smack in the mouth ... and there will always be the Luddites who think that the Earth is flat. You are right Rudy, there is plenty to agree on, without getting all polar and dogmatic about things. Gee, I have a great surround sound system AND a high-end two-channel system (that I PREFER some days) ... where do I fit in?

I feel a Coke commercial coming on ... everyone to the top of the mountain with your bottle of Coke ... OK, now SING!!! :D Cheers, Mike.

Heck, did people in the old days argue about the dying Edison cylinder format vs. those flat shellac 78RPM discs? ;)

I agree with you. That's pretty much the story anywhere on the internet. If I go to a Honda forum, you'll have the Toyota "ricers" saying that Hondas are crap. :rolleyes: And a lot of forums aren't very well moderated either. If you want to look at what happens to unmoderated forums, check out the "alt" discussion groups on Usenet, which are unmoderated. Total anonymity too--anyone can post there, using whatever name and fake e-mail address they wish to.

That's why I stay at safe places like QQ! :D

No way. I can't post to any threads or start threads or send PM's to members but it allows me to log in. With thousands of posts on various forums, I can promise I know better than that.

Chris

Thanks!

I have done that a half dozen times over the last several months and never receive a response. I have never changed my email address since joining the forum and had the ability to post at one time although my posts appear to have been deleted since I can search but can't find mine.

Chris

Here is a copy of the first few users online after I login:

Most users ever online was 332, 09-13-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Chris Gerhard, -=Rudy=-, 2take, aaronfirebrand, adm62, Andrew T., andrewi, andyinstal, art, audiodrome, aynrandgirl, bare trees, BenCanas, BillyBoy, boead, BradF, BradOlson, Brian J, Brian_Svoboda, Bruceanthony

Here is a copy of what the site indicates I can do: