HiRez Poll Wright, Richard - WET DREAM [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Richard Wright - WET DREAM

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this newly reissued album from Pink Floyd member Richard Wright entitled "Wet Dream".
First released in 1978, the album was Richard's first solo album, and the album has been newly remixed in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson.

(y) :) (n)

71DoiT6FXoL._SL1500_.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-coming-september-29.34506/page-9#post-733170

Spinning my just received Blu-ray in mere DTS-HD MA 5.1 and loving it, having never heard it before. Love Richard’s gentle spirit coming through the music and Wilson’s beautifully supportive mix. Nice, man… very nice!

A strong 9 from the Kid.

I voted 6. Nice DTS HD MA 5.1 mix but many of the tracks are same-ish. Like many bands Pink Floyd was more than the sum of its parts and that shows here. Packaging says almost nothing about the album, and disc is so hard to get out I feared breaking it.

This album was always a sleeper for me.

Musical bits like Cirrus Minor, Sisyphus, coda of Saucerful of Secrets (Celestial Voices), & the coda of Shine On are some of the most other worldly favorite pieces of psychedelic music I've ever heard. There's just nothing like any of that on this album.

Hearing this now with a more proper full fidelity mix helps a lot! The low budget sound held the original back when one was spoiled with Pink Floyd album fidelity and mix work! I'll probably pull this out occasionally now.

Does this mix justify firing up 12 channels of hi-fi over 6? That's the 1st question that comes along with these mixes, right? Not really for this one.

I purchased the Sony CD sometime in the early century (for any reason, cannot recall when or where). While I don't rate this album as high as Broken China, it has a soft spot in my heart and I come back to it from time to time.
I like the melancholy mood, that reminds me more of the end of long summer holidays in my youth rather than the holidays itself. You have to be in the right mood for the album, not only because of the aforementioned melancholy it distiles, but also because of its slow pace and softness. Don't expect Animals (I also believe this was a reaction to its predecessor's aggressiveness), but a set of songs closer to what much later would be Wearing the Inside Out. This is the writing Richard we knew from the early PF times (some songs would fit on Obscured by Clouds).
All in all, I was eagerly expecting the Atmos mix, as I already loved the album. And it does not disappoint a little bit, songs like Waves are worthy to be Atmos demo tracks. Highlight for me is having Richard's lead vocal isolated in the center speaker (I like to decrease the volume of the other speakers and listen only to him), plus his own harmonies on the rears.
Height info varies from additional room for the synths to fully discreet guitar solos, achieving not only a nice bubble effect but also many wow moments.
The additional content is nice, although I would have liked to have the all the instrumentals in sequence and in Atmos. Transfer of the original 78 mix is a welcome addition. Photo gallery is a bit too short and the summer holiday videos put a grin on my face. Rick was clearly in his element while on water. I can't picture him after the summer break recording The Wall! On the second video there's a funny cameo by David, don't miss it.
Soft texture of the packaging is a plus. Booklet could have contained some liner notes.
In any case, a solid 10 for me. Yet I understand why this slow and soft album may not be for everyone's tastes

Well I gave it a nine, .....no make it eight.

The surround mix alone deserves this. Great job S.W.

I had this album back in the day, so I'm familiar with Richard's work . This album tends to grow on you...the more you listen.

Lot's of sax on this ,at first, which is surprising as I figured some keyword wizardry from Floyd's keyword mainstay.
But he was encountering problems from both the members of Floyd and a bad marriage.
So don't expect anything like The Grand Vizers Garden Party , or anything Electric Moo wise , which is a shame.

All short tunes , with his input.🤷‍♂️
I will be listening to this again and again....

For me the vocals are a distraction. The make me wish the 4 instrumentals included were also done in at least 5.1 or Atmos. Then I could plug them into other multich mixes and get a full album in at least one of the surround mixes.

I voted 8.
Music:
Tame, the same, boring.
Dolby Atmos: Not very good, you do not need a home Atmos system to enjoy this, a 5.1 system will give you the same result.
Videos: Home movies of wealthy people.

Sorry, in 2023 the biggest surround year ever, this release just blurs out to the bottom of the pile. My reasoning behind an 8 vote was , it is a sonically fit album, clarity of sonics is superb.

Keep polls pure. Use your own personal listening experience only.

Latest posts

Back