HiRez Poll Wright, Richard - WET DREAM [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Richard Wright - WET DREAM

• Total voters
Really? I heard a lot in the heights on this one, as always with Steven Wilson's Atmos mixes. Swirling keys, backing vocals, and even some guitar solos!
@marpow , can't you really hear the synths flowing towards the height speakers in Waves? It's a standout moment of the Atmos mix (that is really excellent, as @sjcorne is mentioning)

My job is not to defend myself on QQ.
I put it out there and if I ask a question, I am open to people answering my question.
On poll threads, we as poll participants, need only to put out our personal experience through are own listening experience on QQ.
I would like to be left alone if what I have to say is considered wrong by others.
I have been a member of QQ long enough and if anyone knows me, I am very likely never to debate.
I am very happy that other members of QQ have a better experience than I.
I will have no further comment by myself on this topic.

My job is not to defend myself on QQ.
I put it out there and if I ask a question, I am open to people answering my question.
On poll threads, we as poll participants, need only to put out our personal experience through are own listening experience on QQ.
I would like to be left alone if what I have to say is considered wrong by others.
I have been a member of QQ long enough and if anyone knows me, I am very likely never to debate.
I am very happy that other members of QQ have a better experience than I.
I will have no further comment by myself on this topic.
Don't take me wrong, there was no intention at all to force you to change your mind. We all have our setups, ears and different listening experiences.
In my particular case, I like to be challenged by these kind of comments as eventually they have led me to find issues with my setup or with the records themselves (like the weird behaviour I found with DSOTM and Marantz AVR).
And some times I re-listened to albums with someone's else's view in mind to discover I was missing something or simply I didn't share the same opinion.
Debating, in a healthy and peaceful environment like QQ normally is, is always enriching.

I voted 8.
Music:
Tame, the same, boring.
Dolby Atmos: Not very good, you do not need a home Atmos system to enjoy this, a 5.1 system will give you the same result.
Videos: Home movies of wealthy people.

Sorry, in 2023 the biggest surround year ever, this release just blurs out to the bottom of the pile. My reasoning behind an 8 vote was , it is a sonically fit album, clarity of sonics is superb.

Keep polls pure. Use your own personal listening experience only.
Brutal. Love it!

A more honest review than my watered down take. And dead on with the Atmos comment! You need the same speaker array a mix was created on or you really truly are not hearing it correctly! The comments that read like "The Atmos mix was great! I listened to it in 5.1" make me crazy too!

To be fair I still enjoyed listening to it more than I ever had before though. Putting this kind of effort into a mix is a great thing. Even if it's something I only ever listen to once. Why the heck not, right!

Amazon delivered!!!

I'm not going to be able to give it less than a 10, I've loved this album since I heard it near a decade ago. Wright's vocals and songwriting are agonizingly earnest despite his limitations.

EDIT: "Summer Elegy" and MotorCake just give me the best musical moment I've had all year. Also, 10 years? No, no, 2004 is almost 20 years ago. Dang.

Steven Wilson killed it. This all sounds so beautiful.

Attachments

• photo_2023-11-10_14-35-18.jpg
    photo_2023-11-10_14-35-18.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm not sure if I do the right thing in my vote numbers or not but
I will say something about my thoughts here.
This album along with many other Atmos/5.1 SW releases over the last few years is a
remaster of a near 50 yo analog tape recording. Steven does a remarkable
job with them but when I compare these against his and others recordings done
on modern digital gear there's just something missing. Mainly to me it's inner detail,
a clarity, focus,and snap that's not on these old tapes. I do believe I may be giving them
a handicap because of the known shortcomings in the aged material.

Please post your thoughts and comments on this newly reissued album from Pink Floyd member Richard Wright entitled "Wet Dream".
First released in 1978, the album was Richard's first solo album, and the album has been newly remixed in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson.

(y) :) (n)

71DoiT6FXoL._SL1500_.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-coming-september-29.34506/page-9#post-733170
I rated the Dolby Atmos mix a 9. I had heard the old stereo version and found the music relaxing and Floydian. Listening to it is like floating on water.
I had read other reviews that the 5.1 Atmos mix is no better than the DTS 5.1 mix. I would rate the DTS mix an 8 compared to the Atmso mix. I find the Atmos mix more engaging with a more expansive sound stage even with my 5.1.2 system that has front height speakers on the wall at the ceiling level. I had to switch from the DTS mix to the Atmos mix after about 2 minutes of listening. I wish the packaging had some information about the album and lyrics but I like the little extras and the fact the original stereo mix is included with the instrumentals from the vocal tracks. I have not yet listened to Steven Wilson's stereo mix. I am sure it's excellent. He has a special talent! This is a great recording for relaxing and meditating.

I’d never heard anything from this album before getting the BR version recently so it’s totally new to me (strange considering I’m a Floyd nut). It’s definitely got the Floyd vibe going on obviously but it’s not a classic by any means but it’s nice to have finally. Much prefer Broken China by a long way. This however is great background music and a pleasant listen. The mix is great in 5.1 and stereo but as I don’t have Atmos I can’t really see it’d make that much of an improvement. The packaging and artwork is good and it’s a good “box set” without the usual bollocks included like vinyl, 💿 and marbles etc not to mention the extra price too. Awarded a 9.

Just gave the 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray a listen. Loved it. A wonderfully immersive mix. Lots of nice discrete stuff happening in the rears, but never overpowering. I like the way that Steven puts the basic drum kit up front but will let the tom-tom fills circle around the rears. He did this a good bit on Rush's A Farewell to Kings also. It's a nice effect. There are one or two little things missing that were present in the original stereo mix, but also a couple of things that are emphasized more. The backing vocals at the end of "Holiday" are brought more forward. I was startled by it at first, but I think it works well. Also enjoying the fact that two of the instrumental pieces are a little bit longer than the original LP.

As for the music, this album has been an all-time favorite ever since I stumbled upon it in a cut-out bin sometime in the early 80's. Musically it's much more subdued than the Floyd albums that preceded it, but I like that about it. Rick always had a unique approach to writing chord progressions. I always really loved that in things like "Great Gig" and "Shine On" (especially part ix). He got some great players to join him here, grabbing a sax player from King Crimson and a drummer from Robin Trower,

Great mix. Great music. Affordable hi-res physical product. Can't be anything less than a 10.

I like the way that Steven puts the basic drum kit up front but will let the tom-tom fills circle around the rears. He did this a good bit on Rush's A Farewell to Kings also. It's a nice effect.
There was one moment early of toms in the rears that made me immediately think "Steven really really wanted to mix the intro of "Time"

Just got the blu-ray Friday.
I have had the cd for many, many years, and I've listened to it several times over those years. My original impression was that the music was good, but not really engaging. More like something to put on to relax or while you do something else or when you go to bed.
I have to say that the 5.1 mix is excellent and raises the level of engagement and with it the songs. Still, not something that I will want to listen to any more often than I have in the past. I will probably never listen to the cd again and will always opt for surround with this one.
For me an 8+ but not enough for a 9.

The mix is great in 5.1 and stereo but as I don’t have Atmos I can’t really see it’d make that much of an improvement.
I'd only like to make one short OT comment here.
It all depends on the mix, the difference between 5.1 and Atmos if done right can be as big as
the difference between 5.1 and stereo..
Unfortunately not all Atmos mixes bring that SQ to the table, but that's been true about every recording ever done. ;)

I'd only like to make one short OT comment here.
It all depends on the mix, the difference between 5.1 and Atmos if done right can be as big as
the difference between 5.1 and stereo..
Unfortunately not all Atmos mixes bring that SQ to the table, but that's been true about every recording ever done. ;)
Truth be told, I’ve never actually heard an Atmos mix in person. I imagine I’d be blown away by most of them. One day I might need to get an upgrade and find out what it’s all about.

Did I say this album was a sleeper? Maybe it is...

I put this on last night next to the Rolling Stones Hacking Up Diamonds and Snarky Puppy Empire and the mix wiped the floor with both of them! Better dynamics. Better use of surround - more fully surrounded. More discrete of a mix all the way around with clear elements from all directions including the heights while delivering a cohesive mix as a whole. Downright exciting to listen to next to what should have been more bangin' material!

After one listen last night, I give this one an 8. I was very impressed with the fidelity - probably the best this album has ever sounded. Surround mix is good, but it did not strike me as one of SW's very best, but maybe that's the material he had to work with. I just felt as if it sounded very safe. When I listen to a surround mix, I want it to not only immerse me in the music (which this mix does) but also open up new avenues for hearing music that I have listened to countless times before. Don't get me wrong - this sounds wonderful, but it did not give me the goosebump feeling that my favorite "10" surround mixes have done.

Again, some of this reaction might be due to the material. I've always liked the album, but there are songs that are just a bit flat. I also find Mel Collins' sax to be a little cheesy and very much of its time - I would have preferred more Snowy White guitar solos in place of the sax solos.

All in all, I'm glad I have this for an occasional listen, but I don't anticipate that I'll be reaching for it all that much.

Back