Yes, Magnification

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a terrific disc. I just got my copy today via online mail order since local stores don't seem to be stocking it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, especially since I'm not a big Yes fan.

Maybe it's just me, but the folks handling the multi-channel remixes seem to be getting better and better. I thought the surround mix on Magnification had a great sense of balance, providing a very nice listening experience. I also think that the clarity of the hi-rez mix is a great showcase for a title like this, where the sound itself is layered and would otherwise sound muddy (though I haven't heard the regular CD version).

Too bad we're getting great titles like this in drips and drabs. I can only imagine how excited I'd be if I could pick up three or four titles at a time with this kind of quality.

BTW:

This is one of those DVD-A titles that sounds even better when you crank up the volume. The sound just really comes alive without any of the distortion or harshness that you can get from regular CDs.

Cranking up the volume works well with most DVD Audio's.
It's the bigger dynamic range.
On a low volume setting you mis a lot of the detail.

Frank

I hope they get around to doing some of the older stuff soon , and I know some is in the works , but I'd realy like to see them do Relayer. I think the vocal effects would sound excelent in High Rez surround. I like the melodic vocals and I prefer it of the other albums, but any Yes would be great!
:)

I just listened to this title last night, and I must say we have another winner here! This is without a doubt the best "rock with orchestra" titles I've ever heard. Also, Yes is back in top form on this title. They've really managed to rekindle the spark. This is a standout title and a superb surround mix.

Cranking up the volume works well with most DVD Audio's.
It's the bigger dynamic range.
You don't say! Hmmm... Looks like I'm off to re-check a few of my titles at higher volumes.
Neighbors be warned!!! :D

Back