Yes Relayer coming in 5.1 by Steven Wilson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S ....P.S.... In case any one was wondering, my P.S was about ELP and the '5.1 BBS' release but I think that it isn't worth bothering about since I must have exceeded my 'characters' quota. My lips are now sealed!

Sorry, now decided that I must follow up the last main 'post' with this.
The Yes release of 'Relayer' is one of the most ambitious projects that any band in the last fifty years has decided to attempt and go with as a commercial venture. I say that as, on reflection, there is no 'commercial' aspect to it whatsoever! All they had to back it up was the success of 'CTTE' and the limited success of 'TFTO' - although, like many others on the site, I do warm to this follow up double album and a 5.1 release may push me over the edge (every pun intended!)
Jazz, rock, multiple time signatures, bizzare melody conceptions, synth solos that you wouldn't have contemplated (or could die for), wonderous songs ('Soon'? anyone?) all brought together on one 12'' piece of vinyl as it was then. Roger Dean artwork that still remains one of his best (OK, I admit that 'Fly From Here' was pretty good too!)
All in all - a seminal piece of work from one of (if not) the THE most original 'prog' band on the planet.
So, if the follow up to 'Heaven and Earth' contains such innovation, magic and brilliance, then we are all to destined to be in a place that we weren't mean to be!! On that note, may I say that we all live in hope but, at the same time, with the expectation that 'Relayer' in the band's blood.

I tried with Relayer - back then, a few years ago when the reissues came out, and again this week when I heard this was the next Yes in the series. I know I'm not a Yes fanatic and am selective when it comes to what I want, but Relayer just never clicked with me, not then, not a few years ago, not yesterday....is it a Moraz thing...maybe....never thought he fit the band very well. Give me Tales and/or Going for the the One over Relayer any day, and I hope both get the SW treatment!

This is great news! Just pre-ordered the Blu-ray edition. I'm glad that they are continuing to include the instrumental versions. I've really enjoyed that bonus with the other Yes titles as well as with the Gentle Giant and XTC discs.

Spain would have done much better in their conquests & wars had they put someone other than an 11 year old girl in charge. (y)

Puerto Rico? Have you ever been to The Black Angus in San Juan? Lovely place, I stopped by there when I visited the Island...

You mentioned quite a bit of history. Don't know much about that. All I know is Reagan saved the World from evil communism & Al Gore invented The Internet. ;)

About Relayer: Well. its one of my top 5 recordings of all time, so I can't wait!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Meybe we even get the next YES 5.1 by Christmas?:smokin

THE BLACK ANGUS , REALLY???? LOL!!!!!!!...naaaahhh I never went there, and it closed before I was interested in..well..THAT kind of Surround!!!!

Yes, Relayer is one of my favorites from their discography....and I really hope they include the Yesshows version of TGOD, which , I TOTALLY agree with a fellow member, is better than the Studio Version!

DMJ, Tales was never in that list. No conspiracy, nothing, it was never there.

Just waitt and apreciate what we are getting in the meantime, more than enough fun in surround. SW announced five titles to be released soon. We know Relayer and Drums&Wires, so still three more to come before year end.

Give me Tales and/or Going for the the One over Relayer any day, and I hope both get the SW treatment!

I must say I really don't like the phrase "the Steven Wilson treatment" when discussing these remixes and reissues. It makes it sound like the albums have a disease or something and he is treating them to make them well when many of these albums already were "well" to begin with.

Anyway now that I have digressed, of the two albums mentioned in quotes, one will definitely be released at some point. And the other? Well the more these reissues sell, the more likely that they will have an incentive to remix more as well. :)

I must say I really don't like the phrase "the Steven Wilson treatment" when discussing these remixes and reissues. It makes it sound like the albums have a disease or something and he is treating them to make them well when many of these albums already were "well" to begin with.

I understand what you're saying but I kind of like the phrase. Actually, some, if not all these Yes releases forthcoming can absolutely use an update compared to what's been heard on previous formats. And who better to perform his magic on them? (y)

Anyway now that I have digressed, of the two albums mentioned in quotes, one will definitely be released at some point. And the other? Well the more these reissues sell, the more likely that they will have an incentive to remix more as well. :)

You're of course entitled to your perceptions but I see the phrase "SW treatment" as nothing but positive...no disease...just an adept improvement on what has been previously made available - and to me he's almost always made improvements. He's super at what he does, and has changed my mind of some albums with his work - I'd like that to happen with Relayer too.

But, once again, I'm not going to buy a set where I don't like the music just so that something else "might maybe possibly at some time" get done in the future. If I had unlimited $ and space, maybe, just maybe. That whole issue of buying for a reason other than "I like the music" comes into play too. I'm more than comfortable in feeling like I've supported all these releases....and will continue to do so for those that interest me.

It's the "Digitally Remastered By George Marino At Sterling Sound". Can't actually find any year specified.

Do you have a category worse than 'atrocious'? Because I can think of quite a few records whose production sounds worse than that disc.

(including a few Yes albums)

I understand what you're saying but I kind of like the phrase. Actually, some, if not all these Yes releases forthcoming can absolutely use an update compared to what's been heard on previous formats. And who better to perform his magic on them? (y)

I don't think SW improved Close to the Edge. I certainly don't prefer his 2 channel mix to Offord's. His 6 channel remix has some issues too that I just can't get past.

His 6 channel remix of The Yes Album, though, is brilliant. But again, I don't prefer his 2 channel mix to the original.

It's nice to have alternate mixes. But I wonder, in ten years, what versions people will find themselves listening to the most....

Do you have a category worse than 'atrocious'? Because I can think of quite a few records whose production sounds worse than that disc.

(including a few Yes albums)

Well, "atrocious" is just a nice sounding word I've been wanting to use some time now, and if it sounds off to you, you might replace it with "shrill and distorted and impossible to crank up".

I don't think SW improved Close to the Edge. I certainly don't prefer his 2 channel mix to Offord's. His 6 channel remix has some issues too that I just can't get past.

His 6 channel remix of The Yes Album, though, is brilliant. But again, I don't prefer his 2 channel mix to the original.

It's nice to have alternate mixes. But I wonder, in ten years, what versions people will find themselves listening to the most....

I grew up with the entire Yes catalog (altho not exclusively) and the sound of those records is burned in my neurons. So when it comes to a different treatment (SW's in this case) what I find is that while I enjoy the dynamic playing field he gave CTTE, one thing that gave me a little discordant feeling was that Anderson vocals were right up front in the verses, whereas Offord's mix put them back a bit. Now this may be because the center channel is right in front of me, and not a factor of the mix, but I think SW pushed up the lead vocals a bit more and I'm not sure if I like that as much as the original mix.

Still overall, I love this release and I can't wait for the rest of the 70's output.

Back