YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans 5.1 - Reality

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kept quiet here for a while since my post about Sid Smith having a 5.1 review copy of Tales had been "disproved". In no way was my post an attempt to start a rumor or perpetuate one. If the source of my info wasn't solid I would not have posted about it here because I know how much this release means to some people and that is WHY I posted the info here. And for what it's worth, on last November's Cruise to the Edge during a formal Q+A Steve Howe mentioned that the 5.1 mix for Tales was done (he asked the band who confirmed) and would be eventually released. And because he most likely signs some sort of NDA when working on other band's projects I wouldn't read too much into what Steven Wilson says, or knows about a release schedule once he's completed his mixing.

At that time the remix wasn't completed, but you're right in saying that Steven doesn't know the release schedule until copies are ready to ship.

Just thought I'd join the discussion and say I'll be ordering Tales From Topographic Oceans as soon as I hear it is being released, I bought the original vinyl when it first came out in 1973 and loved it, I've never understood the dislike a lot of people have expressed for it, each to their own. I already have The yes Album, Fragile, Close To the Edge & Relayer 5.1, Going for the One next please!

At that time the remix wasn't completed, but you're right in saying that Steven doesn't know the release schedule until copies are ready to ship.

Last November the band confirmed that the remix was completed and I posted about Sid having a copy in February. The image of the CD cover that he posted may not have the new release but he did have a copy for review and to write liner notes. Unless my info is wrong then I believe this to be true. And I'd wager a hefty sum that this is going to be released this year.

Going for the One next please!

Unfortunately, as of last year, the multitrack tapes for "Going for the One" still haven't been found, and that's why Steven (so far) has only been contracted to remix the 5 Yes albums released from 1971-1974 ("Tales from Topographic Oceans" being the only one that still needs to be released from that period)

Unfortunately, as of last year, the multitrack tapes for "Going for the One" still haven't been found, and that's why Steven (so far) has only been contracted to remix the 5 Yes albums released from 1971-1974 ("Tales from Topographic Oceans" being the only one that still needs to be released from that period)

So the Going for the One stereo SACD of a few years back was mastered from a two-track tape?

The Close to the Edge multitracks were described as "lost" for years...I would like to hope that GFTO could be unearthed, too.

So the Going for the One stereo SACD of a few years back was mastered from a two-track tape?

Yes, it was remastered, not remixed. The analog master tapes for the original stereo mix still exist. It's the multitracks (mandatory for a new mix) that are apparently missing.

Tim 'cleaned up' the thread. He has the authority to do so. No need for back and forths between members. We're all grown-ups, and arguing on the internet is pointless. Please state your opinions and if others agree or disagree, one rebuttal is enough, then move on.

We're all different people with different ideas and I'd really like it if everyone got along. Sometimes you have to suck it up and just bend a little to get along with everyone. We do it in life and we should do it when it's called for. This is a little spot on the internet that no one cares about but a few of us, so please try and keep it friendly.

THANKS

A forum member (who wishes to remain annonymous) sent me a PM today providing a persuasive viewpoint which leads me to believe that my information about Sid having a review copy was incorrect. Having said that, I still have every reason to believe that this will be released in 2016. My original source for the info was a member of Yes that a friend of mine is acquainted with, an ex-band member that I've met with in the recent past. I apologise to Dennis and anyone else who got excited about my post. My source seemed to have some credibility but he was misinformed about the status of the project.

Last November the band confirmed that the remix was completed and I posted about Sid having a copy in February. The image of the CD cover that he posted may not have the new release but he did have a copy for review and to write liner notes. Unless my info is wrong then I believe this to be true. And I'd wager a hefty sum that this is going to be released this year.

IIRC , technically they were referred to as 'not available'.

Well anyway, as long as they are 'not available', 'missing', or whatever term someone may use, we won't be getting a new stereo and surround remix for that one, and that's the only point I was trying to get across.

Tim 'cleaned up' the thread. He has the authority to do so. No need for back and forths between members. We're all grown-ups, and arguing on the internet is pointless. Please state your opinions and if others agree or disagree, one rebuttal is enough, then move on.

We're all different people with different ideas and I'd really like it if everyone got along. Sometimes you have to suck it up and just bend a little to get along with everyone. We do it in life and we should do it when it's called for. This is a little spot on the internet that no one cares about but a few of us, so please try and keep it friendly.

THANKS

This was a lovely post to read.
Thanks for your great moderation. :)

A forum member (who wishes to remain annonymous) sent me a PM today providing a persuasive viewpoint which leads me to believe that my information about Sid having a review copy was incorrect. Having said that, I still have every reason to believe that this will be released in 2016. My original source for the info was a member of Yes that a friend of mine is acquainted with, an ex-band member that I've met with in the recent past. I apologise to Dennis and anyone else who got excited about my post. My source seemed to have some credibility but he was misinformed about the status of the project.

@Ron,

My dear friend, there is no need to apologize. In fact it is us who are in your debt for your positive energy and encouragement. I THANK you so much for sharing what you did. Tales will come out in the end and everything in this thread will have helped us Tales lovers abide the wait.

@The Group:

Silence is the enemy, silence is what makes us impatient, and I dare say that logic dictates that silence is not preferred otherwise there would be no discussion forums on the internet, if everybody preferred to wait in silence for things. If any thread doesn't suit personal taste there is a simple well known solution.

I suppose its impossible for any forum thread to stay on track and although there has been some wandering here, the focus remains true and I'd like to pause and take stock of the blessings we've received here. We all know damn well that the powers who release product shroud themselves in secrecy. Yet we also are blessed with kind & very very cool peeps here who will try to help the best they can by offering whatever encoded tidbit of info. they can. We live for that stuff here.

We don't want to rock the boat and discourage any further unofficial info. that we do get in this or any other thread so we can't demand proof. Just enjoy the hints & encouragement for what they are.

Jon's fabulous QQ forum has many facets:

Reviews of released product
Technical help to get sound systems going
and... the expressions of hopes & desires for products released and yet unreleased.

So I offer my humble thanks to our resident VIPs & professionals for their input & support and I thank everybody else for sharing their hopes, dreams and disappointments here. We've got out shit together, we don't waste space by hosting photos... what we have here is pure internet logical positivism here. (y)

Tales From Topographic Oceans will come out in 5.1, until then I encourage all YES - Tales supporters new & old to continue to show their love, here in this thread. :music

@DoctorO: Yes, I am travelling to New York to see YES in August. I had great tix for the Drama tour in 1980 then I enlisted in the US Navy so I was in bootcamp during the concert. :mad:@: Seeing Drama complete will be great and then getting half of Tales to boot is a dream come true. Steve & Alan were such a big part of Tales, I am looking forward to them performing one last time. And perhaps seeing the lads once more will hope provide me with some closure over losing Chris Squire.

Well, in my mind, calling for a thread to be closed b/c you don't like the content is attempting to censor people's thoughts. ymmv.

Ok, just to set the record straight, I was NOT actually calling for the thread to be closed. That was just simply a way of expressing my frustration with how over-the-top this thread has truly become. I really do my best to ignore everything in this thread that isn't actual news about the "Tales" remix, but sometimes, it just gets to be too much…

Ok, just to set the record straight, I was NOT actually calling for the thread to be closed. That was just simply a way of expressing my frustration with how over-the-top this thread has truly become. I really do my best to ignore everything in this thread that isn't actual news about the "Tales" remix, but sometimes, it just gets to be too much…

If I misconstrued your statement, I apologize. But when you add "anybody else w/ me?", it certainly appeared that you were attempting to gain some consensus to close the thread. And I certainly wasn't alone in interpreting your statement this way. But seeing as how you removed the offending line and it appears this thread is in no danger, it's all a moot point now.

But if you're truly ignoring all posts except those that aren't actual news re-mix news, you've missed some cool YT vids...

Maybe create a new thread dedicated specifically to concrete news about the release, then those who are bothered by the enthusiasm/obsession won't have to wade through all the "noise" in this one? Though I imagine that thread would be pretty silent until it finally explodes...

If I misconstrued your statement, I apologize. But when you add "anybody else w/ me?", it certainly appeared that you were attempting to gain some consensus to close the thread. And I certainly wasn't alone in interpreting your statement this way. But seeing as how you removed the offending line and it appears this thread is in no danger, it's all a moot point now.

But if you're truly ignoring all posts except those that aren't actual news re-mix news, you've missed some cool YT vids...

Maybe create a new thread dedicated specifically to concrete news about the release, then those who are bothered by the enthusiasm/obsession won't have to wade through all the "noise" in this one? Though I imagine that thread would be pretty silent until it finally explodes...

My addition of "Anybody else w/ me?" was just to see who else felt the same way about this thread as I do. I wasn't trying to drum up support for having this thread closed.
And I did not remove my offending line. A mod did it when this thread was cleaned up a few days ago, but you're right, it is all a moot point now.
Finally, I won't create any new thread about "Tales" until there's actually a press release and preorder for the remixed edition, and I doubt that will happen until the end of the summer at the earliest. Until then, I'm going to do my best to be patient and enjoy all of the other great surround releases coming our way. :)

Thanks to everyone. We're all great guys (and gals), right? :music

Back