Your five favourite album discoveries thanks to multichannel music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legend is a KILLER! Anyone have any other reggae surround suggestions?

Monty Alexander with Ernest Ranglin ~ Rocksteady (Telarc SACD 2004)
Killer instrumental Jamaican jazz versions of classic reggae tracks.
Highest recommendation.
https://www.discogs.com/Monty-Alexander-With-Special-Guest-Ernest-Ranglin-Rocksteady/release/3421860

R-3421860-1447522904-1052.jpeg.jpg

I would think some dub mixers would be all over classic 70's releases.

Since I got into surround, I discovered that even many of the excellent Blood & Fire dub re-issues on CD are mono.
Unfortunately, it appears the studio techniques from 70s Jamaica did not preserve multi-tracks.

I'd love someone to inform me that I'm mistaken.

Endless River ~ Pink Floyd
The Four Seasons ~ Swingle Singers
Gershwin's World ~ Herbie Hancock
Interstellar Suite ~ Amin Bhatia

King Crimson's six studio albums from the 70s (that I never bought in any form until the DVDs)

Honorable Mention: We Get Requests ~ Oscar Peterson Trio (Analogue Productions 3-ch SACD)

Monty Alexander with Ernest Ranglin ~ Rocksteady (Telarc SACD 2004)
Killer instrumental Jamaican jazz versions of classic reggae tracks.
Highest recommendation.
https://www.discogs.com/Monty-Alexander-With-Special-Guest-Ernest-Ranglin-Rocksteady/release/3421860

R-3421860-1447522904-1052.jpeg.jpg

Since I got into surround, I discovered that even many of the excellent Blood & Fire dub re-issues on CD are mono.
Unfortunately, it appears the studio techniques from 70s Jamaica did not preserve multi-tracks.

I'd love someone to inform me that I'm mistaken.

Thanks ~dave~~wave~, I see why you featured the back cover in your post with musical reference; the front cover can be very confusing as to what this music is (at least to me.) Now since I've sampled some, I've got it on my radar and and have put it on my wantlist in discogs. :)

Endless River ~ Pink Floyd
The Four Seasons ~ Swingle Singers
Gershwin's World ~ Herbie Hancock
Interstellar Suite ~ Amin Bhatia

King Crimson's six studio albums from the 70s (that I never bought in any form until the DVDs)

Honorable Mention: We Get Requests ~ Oscar Peterson Trio (Analogue Productions 3-ch SACD)

Although I usually refer to that so-called Pink Floyd album as The Endless Drivel*, full respect for giving We Get Requests an honourable mention - it's an all-time classic :)

* It's Pink Floyd, Jim, but not (as it largely comprises off-cuts from the floor of The Division Bell) as we know it

Five from the Quad era:

Eric Clapton--401 Ocean Boulevard. Only Clapton I ever bought. Played the Q8 until it broke.
Ten Years After--Space in Time. The SQ lp spurred me to buy lots more of their albums in stereo.
Cat Stevens--several Q8s. The hits were all over the radio, but the fun of the Q8s led me to buy the albums. After the Q8s were gone, never listened again.
Rick Derringer--All American Boy. The SQ LP was the touchstone of my high school science project on quad technology. What went wrong that I'm not an audio engineer is anyone's guess!
Beck Bogart Appice--the SQ lp opened the door to listening to Jeff Beck, before and after BBA

and five from the Modern Era:

Beck--Sea Change Blu Ray. First Beck album I heard--then had to hear the rest. The opening track remains one of the most stunning things I have ever, ever heard in surround.
Blue Man Group--at the dawn of the new formats, a novelty party in discrete surround that entertained my then-young children. Served its purpose and now shelved forever!
Hiromi--several titles...same story as Blue Man except might be worth getting out of storage and hearing again!
Opeth--dark in a way that doesn't generally appeal to me, but the surround pushed me over the edge.
and various Classical...not commonly a classical buyer, but surround coupled with high resolution made me an early adopter.

Okay, 5 bands I really like and was not aware of before purchasing the surround versions:

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream (and all the rest later)
Toy Matinee - Self-Titled
Big Phat Band - Swingin' for the Fences (followed by XXL)
Medeski, Martin, and Wood - Uninvisible
Babatunde Olatunji - Circle of Drums

Back