YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it's gone.

Here's the Atmos mix of Random Access Memories in Stereo and 5.1, it's still up:

I probably should’ve warned you when I saw your post. I have a YouTube channel with around 300 surround mixes from many different artists and genres and I’m pretty familiar with the copyright themes there. 99% of artists specifically allow for their audio to be shared on YouTube but there’s a few who don’t. The Beatles, Prince, The Eagles & The Beach Boys are among the few that seem to disallow many songs. A few others are hit-or-miss like The Cars & Taylor Swift. I have surround mixes of songs from both of those artists but some songs are not allowed.

MixerRog is a huge fan of the Beatles but he stays away from uploading their songs to YouTube & he’s had a YouTube channel for (I think) 10+ years. He knows what to avoid.
Like I said, there’s only a literal handful of artists who have a problem with their music on other people’s YouTube channels, …for good reason, with the Content-ID system, any copyright holder can be compensated for any of their music streamed from any channel, …they know this & in a way, it’s almost encouraged because they end up with more streams than they would if only the official channels could stream each song. If you steer clear of a few artists, your channel & its’ content should be fine.

Last edited:
I compiled every mix of "Pet Sounds" into a single YouTube video.

It has independent Stereo and 5.1 tracks.
By toggling "5.1 Surround Sound" in YT, this makes 6 unique ways to listen:

2023 Atmos Mix in Stereo or 5.1
1996 Stereo Mix or 2003 5.1 Mix
1966 Mono Mix in L+R or Center

Comparing the Atmos mix in 5.1 to the 2003 5.1 mix is very entertaining! What were they thinking back then?

The original surround mix, which was as issued on DVD-Audio, was a 4.1 mix; no center channel was used on that one. Is the latest mix available other than as a download?

I probably should’ve warned you when I saw your post. I have a YouTube channel with around 300 surround mixes from many different artists and genres and I’m pretty familiar with the copyright themes there. 99% of artists specifically allow for their audio to be shared on YouTube but there’s a few who don’t. The Beatles, Prince, The Eagles & The Beach Boys are among the few that seem to disallow many songs. A few others are hit-or-miss like The Cars & Taylor Swift. I have surround mixes of songs from both of those artists but some songs are not allowed.

MixerRog is a huge fan of the Beatles but he stays away from uploading their songs to YouTube & he’s had a YouTube channel for (I think) 10+ years. He knows what to avoid.
Like I said, there’s only a literal handful of artists who have a problem with their music on other people’s YouTube channels, …for good reason, with the Content-ID system, any copyright holder can be compensated for any of their music streamed from any channel, …they know this & in a way, it’s almost encouraged because they end up with more streams than they would if only the official channels could stream each song. If you steer clear of a few artists, your channel & its’ content should be fine.

Loophole!

Last edited:

Actually The Beatles songs are blocked right away when you try to upload them so no copyright strike is incurred on you which is good. The Beatles songs were all removed & blocking started on them just before the release of their Beatles 1+ series a few years ago. The strange thing is songs by John, Paul, George & Ringe individually are not blocked so it must be a record company blocking them. The decent artists & record companies block uploads so you can avoid getting copyright strikes but a few let you put your song up & then strike you which is bad. You can appeal it if you think they have tagged the incorrect song which I have once & won but 3 strikes & you lose your channel with no chance for an appeal then. One good thing is your strike disappears after 3 months if you do not get another one during this time period.

My stereo channel has been up just over 13 years now & so far I have only got 2 strikes in the past but they can come at any time as I had one strike appear on a song I had up over 5 years! I have removed many of my songs from public view that have been up over a year to avoid getting strikes like this so I can put them back on public view if I get a request. I almost lost my channel a few years ago when I had 9 Rolling Stones songs on it, they notified me that I was getting 1 strike & if I agreed to remove their other songs, I would not get any more so I did to not lose my channel. This is very very rare to happen so someone important must like my channel I figure.

BTY, The Beach Boys songs are usually ok to post on YouTube but stay away from the Eagles for sure or you will get a strike!

Rog

Fripp is a serial offender about blocking KC reactions on YouTube. As I've said may times, it's completely counter-productive. Young (or unfamiliar) reviewers have reacted positively to a lot of prog. bands that don't automatically block reactions (e.g. Yes, Floyd, Tull, Genesis), and they then go on to educate other people that such wonderful bands and music existed long before many viewers were born. This way the music that us oldies grew up with and still love will live on, way beyond our own lifetime (Fripp, on the other hand, seems content in wanting KC music to die with him). Very sad.

Rick did a great video on why the bands/record companies aggressively blocking are ruining their own legacy:

Speaking for myself… I’m not that familiar with the Prince discography… as while he was alive he actively sought to keep it off of digital platforms entirely, which growing up with the rise of iTunes was how I got most of my music. I’m sure I’m not the only person my age who can say that. I can understand why one would want to fight to keep their music off of streaming services, but it definitely hurts their legacy in the long run

Most of the songs I post are not played on radio anymore so no need to block them as people may hear them & decide to purchase the
song so hopefully it will help the artist sell songs but my subscriber base is very small also so I am not really a factor.

Rog

Didn’t Peter Gabriel and Steven Wilson (formerly keenly anti-Spotify et al) eventually give up and let their music be heard by more people? I wonder how long artists such as Joni Mitchell will hold out? Sorry if this is straying a bit o.t.

Didn’t Peter Gabriel and Steven Wilson (formerly keenly anti-Spotify et al) eventually give up and let their music be heard by more people? I wonder how long artists such as Joni Mitchell will hold out? Sorry if this is straying a bit o.t.
Joni pulled her music from Spotify in solidarity with her friend Neil Young when he pulled his in protest of Spotify's exclusive contract with Joe Rogan for his Joe Rogan Experience podcast, on which he frequently promulgates conspiracy theories.

Back