YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't realize the Bjork vids on YouTube have a 5.1 mix option now.
Sorry. This thread is about 5.1 mixes on youtube and I missed the tangent you took. Not sure how it related to the person you quoted, but no big deal. Good to hear that they sync right up. I certainly wouldn't expect that.

It changes the mkv's to other file formats and doesn't output mkv is what I meant. It doesn't support the mkv container from input to output, but again, it doesn't matter because it is simply a container.
Yes, I send YouTube full 5.1 flacs with correct volume & they convert them to 384k m4a or ACC 5.1 files when downloaded that actually sound surprisingly good with proper volume also! One thing I don't like is they play in low volume stereo when playing on a computer or phone or even when playing in 5.1 from a Roku box for some strange reason which I wish they would correct.

Rog

Nice surround mix on "Who Are You". I like the moving levels at the bottom also.

What program are you using for your videos. I would like to change regular YouTube mp4 music videos to MKV videos with my surround mixes but not found a program to do that. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Thanks, Rog
Wondershare might be able to do that.

Sorry. This thread is about 5.1 mixes on youtube and I missed the tangent you took. Not sure how it related to the person you quoted, but no big deal. Good to hear that they sync right up. I certainly wouldn't expect that.
Ah, gotcha. I was just responding to MixerRog's question (but should have quoted just that): I would like to change regular YouTube mp4 music videos to MKV videos with my surround mixes but not found a program to do that. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Mine is broke, what is the command?
The most basic command to get any of the audio streams is:
start yt-dlp.exe -f -
That will list every format available in the stream. Once it makes a list, simply type the number of the stream. For example, 328 will get the EAC3 stream. Make sure there is a space after the last dash and add the URL.

I’ve been trying to add more of my multitrack mixes everyday. I’m trying my best to get a nice diverse selection of artists/genres & provide some stuff that no one has ever heard in 5.1 before.
https://m.youtube.com/@methuselahsgrandpa/videos
B209CE86-51FC-46BB-8D4D-7F28789ED82B.jpeg
604943E2-9FF1-4389-A0C0-21B2ED46184C.jpeg

I’ve been trying to add more of my multitrack mixes everyday. I’m trying my best to get a nice diverse selection of artists/genres & provide some stuff that no one has ever heard in 5.1 before.
https://m.youtube.com/@methuselahsgrandpa/videos
Yeah, I subscribed right away and have listened to a few repeatedly and a lot are songs I always had hoped to hear that way. I don't know where you get your stems from - I've only been using some weird random site for them.

Yes, I send YouTube full 5.1 flacs with correct volume & they convert them to 384k m4a or ACC 5.1 files when downloaded that actually sound surprisingly good with proper volume also! One thing I don't like is they play in low volume stereo when playing on a computer or phone or even when playing in 5.1 from a Roku box for some strange reason which I wish they would correct.

Rog

It's great to know that Youtube manager 's conversion process for 5.1 flacs is satisfactory, but it's unfortunate that there's an issue with low volume stereo playback on certain devices. Hopefully, YouTube will address this issue soon to provide a better listening experience across all devices.

I compiled every mix of "Pet Sounds" onto YouTube.
The videos have independent Stereo and 5.1 tracks.
By toggling "5.1 Surround Sound" in YT, this makes 6 unique ways to listen:

2023 Atmos Mix in Stereo or 5.1
1996 Stereo Mix or 2003 5.1 Mix
1966 Mono Mix in L+R or Center

Comparing the Atmos mix in 5.1 to the 2003 5.1 mix is very entertaining! What were they thinking back then?

Edit: my original video was removed :(
Edit 2: loophole!

Last edited:
I compiled every mix of "Pet Sounds" into a single YouTube video.

It has independent Stereo and 5.1 tracks.
By toggling "5.1 Surround Sound" in YT, this makes 6 unique ways to listen:

2023 Atmos in Stereo or 5.1
1996 Stereo Mix or 2003 5.1 Mix
1966 Mono Mix in L+R or Center

Comparing the Atmos mix in 5.1 to the 2003 5.1 mix is very entertaining! What were they thinking back then?
But does Youtube stream it in Atmos or 5.1? Can I do so through my AppleTV?

Curious if Youtube has complained about fan uploaded copyrighted material. I'm checking these out, just wondering how long this good thing is going to last(?). Other YT videos get taken down/demonetized real quick if there's even a sniff of an artist's audio in them.

Curious if Youtube has complained about fan uploaded copyrighted material.
I don't think that is how it works. The complaints will come from record companies. I am a bit surprised none have been pulled. No reason to to worry about it since you don't have any control over it. Enjoy it while it lasts. Also, I don't believe anyone is making any money off of this other than YouTube (indirectly).

And it's gone.

Here's the Atmos mix of Random Access Memories in Stereo and 5.1, it's still up:

Last edited:
Back