YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course not...
Yeah sounds like an upmix for sure. But those tracks with legit 5.1 mixes are the real deal on this channel, playing through my AppleTV 4K. That includes the hard to find Pink Floyd Meddle 5.1. Have to be careful about the volume though, really have to crank the volume up to get to normal listening levels. At any rate, here is another way to hear mixes you might not otherwise have the opportunity to hear.

I've been uploading my own demo stuff in 5.1 to youtube, not thinking it actually would work and amazingly it does. And then my youtube suggestions pointed me to
Yeah sounds like an upmix for sure. But those tracks with legit 5.1 mixes are the real deal on this channel, playing through my AppleTV 4K. That includes the hard to find Pink Floyd Meddle 5.1. Have to be careful about the volume though, really have to crank the volume up to get to normal listening levels. At any rate, here is another way to hear mixes you might not otherwise have the opportunity to hear.
Maybe I'll get to hear Tragically Hip Road Apples this way - as I refuse to buy a box set full of stuff I have no use for just to hear the surround mix - and pay through the nose for it.

See post above.

Do you have to pay to subscribe for this?
Nope, you just need a device capable of playing back the 5.1 audio stream as some devices will just downmix to stereo.

I actually download the videos using a program called ClipGrab. I use the audio only (original) option which downloads as a .aac file and I can play them back over USB on my UBP-X800

Nope, you just need a device capable of playing back the 5.1 audio stream as some devices will just downmix to stereo.

I actually download the videos using a program called ClipGrab. I use the audio only (original) option which downloads as a .aac file and I can play them back over USB on my UBP-X800
I watch you tube on my firestick which can play atmos so hoping it will work for me 🤞

It seems it’s youtube tv and not youtube, it wont let me download youtube tv onto my firestick, upon googling it would appear it’s not available outside of the USA!

It seems it’s youtube tv and not youtube, it wont let me download youtube tv onto my firestick, upon googling it would appear it’s not available outside of the USA!
Youtube tv has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Why are you bringing it up?

Youtube tv has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Why are you bringing it up?
Because the only 5.1 is on youtube tv not youtube, I am aware they are different things and i’ve spent ages tonight trying to get 5.1 working on youtube and it doesn’t work, after googling how to get 5.1 working on youtube I find that it’s only working in the USA on youtube tv

Because the only 5.1 is on youtube tv not youtube, I am aware they are different things and i’ve spent ages tonight trying to get 5.1 working on youtube and it doesn’t work, after googling how to get 5.1 working on youtube I find that it’s only working in the USA on youtube tv
Post #49 doesn't help, or is that blocked too?

I don’t have Youtube TV here in Italy, only Youtube. I tested this with my Apple Tv as well and it works. I don’t know if it is the real deal about the mixes, I tested FZ and it also have a center channel, same thing with Gentel Giant, that had a quad mix on the dvd.
Youtube plays 5.1 for sure in this channel

fwiw i eventually got it working on the YouTube app on the Apple TV by stumbling upon a 5.1 playback option box within one of the videos (somehow!) hey presto i ticked it and it worked!

it works even to the point where you can tell they used the same old DTS rip of the Blow By Blow SACD from many years ago where the Rear channels drift out of sync with the Fronts rendering it unlistenable! oh dear, what a cacophonous kerfuffle! 😅🤷🏻‍♀️😂

i will try it on my FireStick later today and report back 🤗
I finally got it to work thanks to you fredblue, when playing a 5.1 video you have to hit the centre button then go up and over to the right for settings, there’s a tick box for 5.1 surround
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back