YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got it to work thanks to fredblue, when playing a 5.1 video you have to hit the centre button then go up and over to the right for settings, there’s a tick box for 5.1 surround
View attachment 87822
Did you bother to try the method in post 49, or do you still think I was being sarcastic?

I finally got it to work thanks to you fredblue, when playing a 5.1 video you have to hit the centre button then go up and over to the right for settings, there’s a tick box for 5.1 surround
View attachment 87822
yes! (YES!) 😋 i just did the same thing on my Amazon FireStick and ta-da it works! 🤩🥳

A981CC95-EAD1-4629-BB6B-F07FDA448EAC.jpeg

I am using my Windows 10 computer on YouTube & see no settings for 5.1 like you are showing here-- how do you see that setting for 5.1? Is this only available on certain videos? I tried Yes - Fragile like you show in your picture above & see no 5.1 setting on any of them?

Could I have a YouTube address that has the 5.1 setting to check it out?

Rog

I am using my Windows 10 computer on YouTube & see no settings for 5.1 like you are showing here-- how do you see that setting for 5.1? Is this only available on certain videos? I tried Yes - Fragile like you show in your picture above & see no 5.1 setting on any of them?

Rog
Sorry, my pic is from the youtube app on the firestick, not sure about the computer but check your settings when on a 5.1 video 🤞

Nice to have the quad mix of Overnight Sensation available even if just through a Youtube video. Works great through Apple TV.

Rog
Most browsers won’t allow the 5.1 stream and force stereo. As far as I know it won’t work on a PC.

Where are these mixes coming from?

I’ve just been listening to that exact song, someone has set up a channel called The 5.1 Surround Music Channel, I have subscribed, that song has only had 60 views since it was put on so it obviously hasn’t taken off yet, still new stuff being put on as we speak 👍

https://youtube.com/@RingoStarr39
This channel has a couple 5.1 surround videos, mostly Paul McCartney. He’s also got a rip of the 5.1 mix of Meddle and the DSOTM Quad if anyone is interested, they are in fact discrete.

He used to have his own remaster of the Venus and Mars Quad on there a few months ago but it seems to have been taken down.

Try my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@Mixerrog/videos to see if it shows a 5.1 setting please? If it does & plays in some kind of surround, it is a simulated surround which I suspect done by your browser device?

I have tried to upload 5.1 wav files & YouTube always converts them to stereo 128k AAC files. I have read that all files on YouTube are strictly stereo also.

I just used JDownloader2 to download the Peter Gabriel video above & it's audio is a opus format which it's
Codec info in VLC shows as stereo only & the mp4 file shows stereo only also. I then converted the opus file to flac which resulted in stereo only file so I am pretty sure any surround from YouTube would be a fake version done by the browser device converting the stereo file to a surround.

Rog

Try my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@Mixerrog/videos to see if it shows a 5.1 setting please? If it does & plays in some kind of surround, it is a simulated surround which I suspect done by your browser device?

I have tried to upload 5.1 wav files & YouTube always converts them to stereo 128k AAC files. I have read that all files on YouTube are strictly stereo also.

I just used JDownloader2 to download the Peter Gabriel video above & it's audio is a opus format which it's
Codec info in VLC shows as stereo only & the mp4 file shows stereo only also. I then converted the opus file to flac which resulted in stereo only file so I am pretty sure any surround from YouTube would be a fake version done by the browser device converting the stereo file to a surround.

Rog
See my post above to upload 5.1 to YT.

Back