YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried playing these YouTube 5.1 videos on a Roku box yet? I am not seeing the 5.1 checkbox so far in the Roku YouTube settings?

I would like to be able to hear my 5.1 mixes before releasing them publicly too hear how they sound.

Thanks, Rog

Here is 30 seconds of Lodi in true 5.1 surround from the multi tracks at

I used a full quality 5.1 flac for upload of this from a full quality mkv 5.1 file but YouTube still converted it to a 192k mp4 so I hope it still sounds pretty good?

Rog

Sounds good to me. The volume is a bit low compared to other YouTube videos though.

If you play one of the videos on your Apple TV 4K, you should see a status bar and a series of buttons if you swipe down. One of the buttons is a gear icon. Navigate over to that and press on it and you will get a Settings menu on the right side of the screen. One of the choices is 5.1 Surround - make sure this box is checked.
Yep that worked, thanks for the assist (y)

I just got my 4K Roku box running & just make sure the audio settings are all in auto & it will
play my files in true 5.1 sound as long as your playback device will play Dolby D surround over
HDMI which I think most newer surround receivers will likely do.

As to the low volume, that is a YouTube issue as the MKV file I am feeding YouTube has my normal volume
of -.1 db peak normalization which I use on my main stereo YouTube channel so no clipping but still normal volume. I suspect the way YouTube converts the mkv file to their m4a file might be the reason for the low volume. It takes about 10 minutes of YouTube processing to convert a 3 minute song file I am finding.

Will be starting a new 5.1 YouTube channel tomorrow so stay tuned.

Rog

Wonder why the volume level is so low on these multichannel mixes on Youtube.
My assumption regarding low volume on multi-channel & Atmos mixes (on Tidal) is that the audio stream has a set level of total bandwidth available, whether it’s 2 channels, 6 channels or 12 channels. So when channels are added, the only option is to ‘lower the volume’ in order to maintain ‘sound quality’.

It seems obvious to me, 🤡 but I haven’t seen anyone else make a similar suggestion, so maybe I am just making stuff up. 🤷🏾‍♂️

There are AC3 Dolby Digital [380] and an EAC3 Dolby Digital Plus [328] download options: -

Code:
D:\Media Downloads App>dl.exe -F xxxs://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVKKdTPwp0
[youtube] -hVKKdTPwp0: Downloading webpage
[info] Available formats for -hVKKdTPwp0:
format code  extension  resolution note
140          m4a        audio only tiny  129k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@129k (44100Hz), 3.49MiB
251          webm       audio only tiny  130k , webm_dash container, opus @130k (48000Hz), 3.52MiB
256          m4a        audio only tiny  195k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.5@195k (24000Hz), 5.26MiB
380          m4a        audio only tiny  384k , m4a_dash container, ac-3 @384k (48000Hz), 10.36MiB
328          m4a        audio only tiny  384k , m4a_dash container, ec-3 @384k (48000Hz), 10.36MiB
258          m4a        audio only tiny  387k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@387k (48000Hz), 10.46MiB
Is this from ffmpeg? YT-DL

My assumption regarding low volume on multi-channel & Atmos mixes (on Tidal) is that the audio stream has a set level of total bandwidth available, whether it’s 2 channels, 6 channels or 12 channels. So when channels are added, the only option is to ‘lower the volume’ in order to maintain ‘sound quality’.

It seems obvious to me, 🤡 but I haven’t seen anyone else make a similar suggestion, so maybe I am just making stuff up. 🤷🏾‍♂️
As obvious or logical as that may seem, it doesn't really work that way. I believe the Atmos-specific volume discrepancy is down to the Dolby Dialogue Normalization metadata contained within, and how it is treated by whatever player is streaming the file.

As obvious or logical as that may seem, it doesn't really work that way. I believe the Atmos-specific volume discrepancy is down to the Dolby Dialogue Normalization metadata contained within, and how it is treated by whatever player is streaming the file.
Okay, so then how does it work?

And your point doesn’t address YouTube, which is an LPCM 5.1 signal, or why Tidal and Apple seem helpless to fix it (since if it’s only metadata, then it would be an easy fix).

I think I have found a way to play 5.1 youtube videos in Windows, using Potplayer (a free download). I wasn't able to configure a browser to play 5.1 from Youtube (I tried!), but copying a 5.1 link from Youtube into Potplayer worked well. I found the text description in this youtube video particularly helpful .
Hope this helps folk struggling to achieve 5.1 in a browser with Windows.

I think I have found a way to play 5.1 youtube videos in Windows, using Potplayer (a free download). I wasn't able to configure a browser to play 5.1 from Youtube (I tried!), but copying a 5.1 link from Youtube into Potplayer worked well. I found the text description in this youtube video particularly helpful .
Hope this helps folk struggling to achieve 5.1 in a browser with Windows.

I just started my new Surround YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDitDRuh7CZzuH7FKyVKZOQ Could you please try your PotPlayer to see it will play my first Test Video to see if plays correctly in 5.1 sound before I start posting songs & let me know so I can post details about it on my channel?

Thanks, Rog

Okay, so then how does it work?
The loudness of the signal isn’t dependent on how many bits are being used. For example, a 96/24 stream, sending a silent signal, still uses 24 times 96,000 bits per second for each channel. You can get just as loud with an 8 bit signal, but the signal-to-noise ratio will be noticeably less.

I hope that answered your question, at least a little.

The loudness of the signal isn’t dependent on how many bits are being used. For example, a 96/24 stream, sending a silent signal, still uses 24 times 96,000 bits per second for each channel. You can get just as loud with an 8 bit signal, but the signal-to-noise ratio will be noticeably less.

I hope that answered your question, at least a little.
Yeah, I was hoping you had some useful information … but I was mistaken. Thanks for playing. 👍🏾

My apologies, I thought you were the poster that I responded to, but my overall response is the same. But I will add that it’s a little condescending to suggest I don’t understand sample rates or bit depth, neither of which were mentioned. But again, thanks for playing.

Last edited:
Here is 30 seconds of Lodi in true 5.1 surround from the multi tracks at

I used a full quality 5.1 flac for upload of this from a full quality mkv 5.1 file but YouTube still converted it to a 192k mp4 so I hope it still sounds pretty good?

Rog

Hey Rog, I'm seeing 384k audio streams available for both your uploads.

Out of curiosity I tried the 5.1 with the you tube app on my Sony ubp800m2 and it doesn’t work so it’s just as well my firestick is good with it

Hey Rog, I'm seeing 384k audio streams available for both your uploads.
Thanks, I am uploading 10 of my 5.1 mixes now so any feedback would be appreciated.

I can see the volume levels are being dropped by YouTube by about 10db compared to the 5.1 flac MKVs I am sending them for some reason. The YouTube 5.1 sound quality is not as good as my original 5.1 flacs but not too bad when I compared the direct flacs to listening in 5.1 off my Roku box but separation is very good still which I am surprised at for only a 384k stream of Digital Dolby.

Rog

I got the YouTube 5.1 stream working on my Apple TV box. I subscribed to the channel mentioned earlier in this thread, but what I haven’t figured out is how to play all the songs from a posted album in a row. For example, if I wanted to listen to the Zappa songs from Overnite Sensation. after the first Zappa song that I select plays, it goes to an ad, then some other video clip. I have to hit the back button and choose the next Zappa song in the list. I tried “play all”, but that starts playing the first file posted at the top of the list, rather than half way down, where the Zappa stuff is. What am I missing? Any suggestions?

I got the YouTube 5.1 stream working on my Apple TV box. I subscribed to the channel mentioned earlier in this thread, but what I haven’t figured out is how to play all the songs from a posted album in a row. For example, if I wanted to listen to the Zappa songs from Overnite Sensation. after the first Zappa song that I select plays, it goes to an ad, then some other video clip. I have to hit the back button and choose the next Zappa song in the list. I tried “play all”, but that starts playing the first file posted at the top of the list, rather than half way down, where the Zappa stuff is. What am I missing? Any suggestions?
I have been playing around with it for 2 days now and haven't found a way to do it, the best I managed was getting songs from the same album to play but they did it in alphabetical order! I did that by going back and playing songs from the same album and I think after two it automatically played the rest depending on how they were uploaded which I guess was done alphabetically by file name, sorry I can’t be the bringer of good news but maybe someone smarter than me will find a way to work it out

Back