YouTube getting 5.1 support?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like YouTube creates several 5.1 formats (these are some of the options for the Yes King Biscuit show himey mentioned earlier):

ID EXT RESOLUTION FPS CH │ FILESIZE TBR PROTO │ VCODEC VBR ACODEC ABR ASR MORE INFO
────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
256 m4a audio only 6 │ 106.07MiB 195k https │ audio only mp4a.40.5 195k 24k low, m4a_dash
380 m4a audio only 6 │ 208.83MiB 384k https │ audio only ac-3 384k 48k high, m4a_dash
328 m4a audio only 6 │ 208.83MiB 384k https │ audio only ec-3 384k 48k high, m4a_dash
258 m4a audio only 6 │ 210.87MiB 388k https │ audio only mp4a.40.2 388k 48k high, m4a_dash

The Yes, King Biscuit, has 17,000 views...

Too bad the attribution is wrong, and the audio is an upmix.

The show itself is from Wembley Arena , London, Oct 28 1978, not Los Angeles Oct 5 1978 ( a mistake King Biscuit made back in the day).
This is the truncated setlist broadcast -- in stereo -- by KBFH in the US after a much longer one was broadcast -- in stereo -- in the UK.

I have no idea what the 'JEMS Archive' is. There was never a quad broadcast of this show, and certainly no true 5.1 mix exists. The 'reel to reel master' source mentioned is just some fan's taped-off-the-air capture of the (stereo) KBFH broadcast.

If there's any C and LFE content, this too is an upmix, from the quad source.

Last edited:
The ones I checked were all AAC...
There are AC3 Dolby Digital [380] and an EAC3 Dolby Digital Plus [328] download options: -

Code:
D:\Media Downloads App>dl.exe -F xxxs://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVKKdTPwp0
[youtube] -hVKKdTPwp0: Downloading webpage
[info] Available formats for -hVKKdTPwp0:
format code  extension  resolution note
140          m4a        audio only tiny  129k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@129k (44100Hz), 3.49MiB
251          webm       audio only tiny  130k , webm_dash container, opus @130k (48000Hz), 3.52MiB
256          m4a        audio only tiny  195k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.5@195k (24000Hz), 5.26MiB
380          m4a        audio only tiny  384k , m4a_dash container, ac-3 @384k (48000Hz), 10.36MiB
328          m4a        audio only tiny  384k , m4a_dash container, ec-3 @384k (48000Hz), 10.36MiB
258          m4a        audio only tiny  387k , m4a_dash container, mp4a.40.2@387k (48000Hz), 10.46MiB

fwiw i eventually got it working on the YouTube app on the Apple TV by stumbling upon a 5.1 playback option box within one of the videos (somehow!) hey presto i ticked it and it worked!
I just tried the YouTube app on my Apple TV 4K and couldn't find the 5.1 playback option, can someone go through the steps on that please?

Thanks

On the Roku, it's in the usual spot where you select closed captioning, speed, quality, etc. The gear icon has the 5.1 option and mine was already checked.

I just tried the YouTube app on my Apple TV 4K and couldn't find the 5.1 playback option, can someone go through the steps on that please?

Thanks
Try what I did on the fire stick, when on a 5.1 video click up on the remote and you should see the settings cog over to the right, click on that and check if the 5.1 surround box is ticked

Thanks
Is your Apple TV 4K connected to a 5.1 AVR via HDMI? If so, I think it should be automatic. Did you try one of those YouTube videos on that channel and you were only getting stereo? I don't see a specific 5.1 setting in the Apple TV setup menu.

Is your Apple TV 4K connected to a 5.1 AVR via HDMI? If so, I think it should be automatic. Did you try one of those YouTube videos on that channel and you were only getting stereo? I don't see a specific 5.1 setting in the Apple TV setup menu.
Mine is hooked up to the back of my oppo 205 player via HDMI, and then out of the oppo to my non-HDMI AVR via analog cables for 5.1.

I didn't see any settings on the YouTube App for 5.1 audio at all; sounded like stereo to me. I'll need to go back in at later time and poke around some more though. The main YouTube menu I saw for settings etc. was on the left side panel not the right; so probably not where I should be IDK.

I just uploaded a 5.1 mkv blank video with 384k ac3 container to be compatible with 5.1 AAC specs to my YouTube channel & YouTube converted it (took 10 minutes for YouTube conversion!) to a 192kbit AAC stereo file from what I see per JDownloader2 files.

I have it unlisted at (Lady) if you want to see if it will play in 5.1 somehow since I don't have a way to check this type of playback right now?

Please let me know if it plays in 5.1 -- it should start in the rear channels with lead vocal in the front & backing vocals in the rear after they start if it decodes in 5.1 correctly which I doubt?

Rog

I just uploaded a 5.1 mkv blank video with 384k ac3 container to be compatible with 5.1 AAC specs to my YouTube channel & YouTube converted it (took 10 minutes for YouTube conversion!) to a 192kbit AAC stereo file from what I see per JDownloader2 files.

I have it unlisted at (Lady) if you want to see if it will play in 5.1 somehow since I don't have a way to check this type of playback right now?

Please let me know if it plays in 5.1 -- it should start in the rear channels with lead vocal in the front & backing vocals in the rear after they start if it decodes in 5.1 correctly which I doubt?

Rog

5.1 here!
edit...nice upmix...

Last edited:

Rog

Yes, it is playing in 5.1 for me. Instrumentation in the rears and vocals in front.

Yes, it is playing in 5.1 for me. Instrumentation in the rears and vocals in front.
The drums & bass should ONLY be in the front, the center channel should contain the lead vocal with mainly the piano part (no drums or bass) & the backing vocals in the rear with other instrumentation -- is this what you are hearing?

If this is correct, I will upload a 5.1 test file to check for sure. I have lots of 5.1 stuff I can upload to YouTube if this works correctly.

Thanks for checking & letting me know, Rog

The drums & bass should ONLY be in the front, the center channel should contain the lead vocal with mainly the piano part (no drums or bass) & the backing vocals in the rear with other instrumentation -- is this what you are hearing?

If this is correct, I will upload a 5.1 test file to check for sure. I have lots of 5.1 stuff I can upload to YouTube if this works correctly.

Thanks for checking & letting me know, Rog
That is exactly what I am hearing.

Mine is hooked up to the back of my oppo 205 player via HDMI, and then out of the oppo to my non-HDMI AVR via analog cables for 5.1.

I didn't see any settings on the YouTube App for 5.1 audio at all; sounded like stereo to me. I'll need to go back in at later time and poke around some more though. The main YouTube menu I saw for settings etc. was on the left side panel not the right; so probably not where I should be IDK.
If you play one of the videos on your Apple TV 4K, you should see a status bar and a series of buttons if you swipe down. One of the buttons is a gear icon. Navigate over to that and press on it and you will get a Settings menu on the right side of the screen. One of the choices is 5.1 Surround - make sure this box is checked.

One more 5.1 test I just uploaded at
This is noise only starting in the left front & rotating in 15 second segments clockwise & ending with
a sub-woofer noise. Please confirm this is what you are getting in playback?

Thanks for checking again, Rog

One more 5.1 test I just uploaded at
This is noise only starting in the left front & rotating in 15 second segments clockwise & ending with
a sub-woofer noise. Please confirm this is what you are getting in playback?

Thanks for checking again, Rog

Working as expected!

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 1 min 33 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 4.29 MiB (98%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Working as expected!
Thanks, great to hear! I will be starting a new Mixerrog 5.1 channel soon using this format if it continues to work & this way avoid getting any possible copyright strikes on my main channel.

So far the files are being converted to pretty poor m4a 192k surround files. I will be first experimenting trying to get the quality up to a more respectable 384k if possible. Going to see if I can encode with dts.wav files next.

Rog

Here is 30 seconds of Lodi in true 5.1 surround from the multi tracks at

I used a full quality 5.1 flac for upload of this from a full quality mkv 5.1 file but YouTube still converted it to a 192k mp4 so I hope it still sounds pretty good?

Rog

Working as expected!

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 1 min 33 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 4.29 MiB (98%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1
Great to hear the quality is this good! I am starting a new channel next & will update here. Rog

Back