Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation 50th (New Atmos & 5.1 mixes, plus Quad mix on Blu-Ray!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
Fuck yes!!!

https://store.zappa.com/products/ov...ersary-4cd-blu-ray-audio-super-deluxe-edition
Over-Nite Sensation turns 50 years old. To celebrate this iconic album, we present a 4CD + 1 Blu-ray Audio Super Deluxe showcasing 88 total tracks with 57 unreleased tracks & mixes. Featuring the 2012 remaster of the original album by Bob Ludwig along with additional masters, highlights and mix outtakes from the original 1973 sessions mastered by John Polito. Also included are live recordings from 1973 showcasing the same band that recorded the album, one from the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles and the other recorded at Cobo Hall in Detroit. The Blu-ray contains the album newly re-mixed in Dolby Atmos and 5.1 surround by Karma Auger and Erich Gobel at Studio1LA, Zappa’s original 4-channel Quadraphonic mix (available for the first time since 1973), and the Hi-Res stereo 2012 remaster at 192K24B and 96K24B. The package features unseen photos from the album cover shoot along with liner notes and essays by Mark Smotroff and Vaultmeister Joe Travers.

BLU-RAY AUDIO: Over-Nite Sensation - The Album Dolby Atmos* / Dolby TrueHD 5.1* / Dolby TrueHD 1973 Quadraphonic / 192K24B Stereo / 96K24B Stereo 1. Camarillo Brillo 2. I’m The Slime 3. Dirty Love 4. Fifty-Fifty 5. Zomby Woof 6. Dinah-Moe Humm 7. Montana * Previously unreleased

Zappa_OS50_SuperDeluxe_ProductShot.png

Excellent news! just had the email from Universal regarding this , release date in the UK is 3/11. also coming out on 2LP
The 2LP 180-gram black audiophile vinyl reissue features the album cut at 45 rpm for the first time ever from the original analog tape by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering in 2023 and a bonus 24” x 12” poster of the complete cover art.

Attachments

• 4CD + Blu-Ray Audio Super Deluxe w_ Background (JPG).jpg
    4CD + Blu-Ray Audio Super Deluxe w_ Background (JPG).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2LP Black Vinyl w_ Background (JPG).jpg
    2LP Black Vinyl w_ Background (JPG).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 0
Huh. Had to pinch myself a couple times now.

Too funny. My initial reaction to the Waka Jawaka album and Grand Wazoo album getting remixed and released in 7.1.4 was along the lines of "Who is remixing these who is not Frank Zappa and where are the original quads of Apostrophie and Overnight Sensation that were mixed by Frank Zappa, please and thank you?!"

And then they turn out to be hands down the most accomplished 7.1.4 mixes I've heard so far! (And it's not even close.) I was thinking out loud a couple weeks ago that maybe that was a precursor to the quad releases and maybe these would get a similarly accomplished 7.1.4 remix as well.

So, mind kind of blown that the quads are finally actually coming back and then we also get these extremely accomplished niche 7.1.4 mixes along with them!

I'm not complaining, this is great news and an instant buy for me, but I would have loved to see this packaged with Apostrophe, like a 2-fer CD I have from a long time ago. (I thought maybe because they packaged The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka together that this might be a possibility.)

I'm not complaining, this is great news and an instant buy for me, but I would have loved to see this packaged with Apostrophe, like a 2-fer CD I have from a long time ago. (I thought maybe because they packaged The Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka together that this might be a possibility.)
I don't want to jinx anything with even more of what feels like wishful thinking but Apostrophe is the more "popular" one of these 2. I could easily see them saving it for last. So we'll get more extras this way in the long run!

I figured they’d couple this with Apostrophe as well but I’m just glad we’re also getting the Quad! Instant buy for me.

If they were ever to do one of these box sets for Sheik Yerbouti, a quad mix of that is rumoured to exist. Seems palpable considering there is a quad mix of “Wild Love” on the Quaudiophiliac DVD-A.

And of course One Size Fits All was given a quad catalog number but never released. Anyone know if it was actually mixed? Inca Roads mixed in Quad by FZ himself is a wet dream 😍

And of course One Size Fits All was given a quad catalog number but never released. Anyone know if it was actually mixed?
Joe Travers posts on the Steve Hoffman Forum and a member there asked him about this last year - apparently One Size Fits All was never mixed in quad, but Roxy & Elsewhere was.

Back