King Crimson DVD-A Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So with my hands on a Black Bible I prey with practiced Discipline that this isn't a Lark. Thanks for the info Tim. As long as they keep coming, I will be very happy.

Frame by Frame, we are matching cadence to cascade here in our happy family's indoor games and we'll let you know.

Frame by Frame, we are matching cadence to cascade here in our happy family's indoor games and we'll let you know.

They are definitely coming (LTIA and S&BB that is). Earlier last month, S&BB was mastered.

The multitracks for "Trio" and "The Mincer" are missing so they created 5.1 mixes from the stereo masters using Penteo. Bonus tracks for S&BB will include tracks from the Nightwatch live album in 5.1, specifically "Easy Money". (and I'm assuming the other S&BB tracks that were played that night too)

LTIA was mastered back in March. Here's some info on extra tracks for this album:

"Alternative takes. LTIA Part One, very muscular. Book Of Saturday duet with guitar & vox. Exiles. Jamie’s stereo percussion tracks for Easy Money soloed. Now into Talking Drum. A live version of LTIA II."

They are definitely coming (LTIA and S&BB that is). Earlier last month, S&BB was mastered.

The multitracks for "Trio" and "The Mincer" are missing so they created 5.1 mixes from the stereo masters using Penteo. Bonus tracks for S&BB will include tracks from the Nightwatch live album in 5.1, specifically "Easy Money". (and I'm assuming the other S&BB tracks that were played that night too)

LTIA was mastered back in March. Here's some info on extra tracks for this album:

"Alternative takes. LTIA Part One, very muscular. Book Of Saturday duet with guitar & vox. Exiles. Jamie’s stereo percussion tracks for Easy Money soloed. Now into Talking Drum. A live version of LTIA II."

Not too sure where your source got the info, but please believe me that LTIA is *not* on this years schedule,
and we have no idea what bonus tracks are going on it as it's not yet in production.

"Trio" probably never had multitracks - it sounds on the original as if it was recorded as it was performed straight to stereo.
After all, it's not exactly a complex piece, instrument wise.

Not saying more until we are cleared to announce details.......hopefully very soon now, but they are still being finalized.

Not too sure where your source got the info, but please believe me that LTIA is *not* on this years schedule,
and we have no idea what bonus tracks are going on it as it's not yet in production.

"Trio" probably never had multitracks - it sounds on the original as if it was recorded as it was performed straight to stereo.
After all, it's not exactly a complex piece, instrument wise.

Not saying more until we are cleared to announce details.......hopefully very soon now, but they are still being finalized.

Ok, well now I'm really wondering what the releases for this year are. My sources for what I said come from Fripp's online diary and Steven Wilson's Facebook page. It was Steven that said Larks' and Starless would probably be released in the fall. I'm sure you know a lot more than he does as to when these will be released, and I trust your word.

Looking through Fripp's online diary, we know that Steven has been mixing/has mixed: Discipline (June 2008/June 2011); Beat (January 2009); Larks' (June & October 2010) and Starless & Bible Black (October 2010/February 2011). Beat, Larks', and Starless have been (or are currently being) mastered by Simon Heyworth. The only other bit of info from the diaries is that Jakko is mixing THRAK in 5.1.

So Neil is confirming that Larks' will NOT be released this year. So that leaves Starless, Discipline, and Beat as the possibilities for this year's releases, right?
It seems to me that Larks' and Starless would be suitable to be released together, and Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair seem suitable to be released together. There's been no mention by Fripp (yet) that SW is mixing (or has mixed) TOAPP, so now I'm really confused. Oh well, I hope we know very soon.

That's the trouble with blogs - when something gets mixed is not necessarily indicative of what will get released.
For example, LTIA was mixed ages back - we used LTIA pt1 at the Air Studios preview event before the release of ITCOTCK even, and the first mix Steven did was "Discipline"
(which has changed dramatically since the initial test mixes too). Beat - as you say - has also been mixed, but as with LTIA not mastered yet (although I did do a master of LTIA for the event). TOAPP is definitely mixed by Steven (he and his clones* may or may not have found the time to do this yet but it is happening), Thrak is almost done (yes, by Jakko) and there will be still more - although I cannot say at this point what these will be.

S&BB has been mastered and I am awaiting the files now as well as all the additional material to be included (It's a shame there is not more of "The Nightwatch" live album)
and I can confidently state everyone will be very happy with this title.
As for the remaining title, here's a game:
Think about what year this is.......

EDIT:
Full tracklistings will be posted first here on Monday morning.

Last edited:
That's the trouble with blogs - when something gets mixed is not necessarily indicative of what will get released.
For example, LTIA was mixed ages back - we used LTIA pt1 at the Air Studios preview event before the release of ITCOTCK even, and the first mix Steven did was "Discipline"
(which has changed dramatically since the initial test mixes too). Beat - as you say - has also been mixed, but as with LTIA not mastered yet (although I did do a master of LTIA for the event). TOAPP is definitely mixed by Steven (he and his clones* may or may not have found the time to do this yet but it is happening), Thrak is almost done (yes, by Jakko) and there will be still more - although I cannot say at this point what these will be.

S&BB has been mastered and I am awaiting the files now as well as all the additional material to be included (It's a shame there is not more of "The Nightwatch" live album)
and I can confidently state everyone will be very happy with this title.
As for the remaining title, here's a game:
Think about what year this is.......

EDIT:
Full tracklistings will be posted first here on Monday morning.

Well based on your post, I'd say that the releases will be "Starless & Bible Black" and "Discipline". This is 2011, which marks the 30th anniversary of Discipline so that's my guess. Glad to know that we'll know all the details Monday morning. So in the coming years, we still have Larks', Beat, TOAPP, and THRAK to be released. Also, I haven't heard anything about SW or Jakko mixing "The Power to Believe" but it is on the 40th anniversary release poster, so I imagine that one will also be mixed and released at some point too.

Bummed I have to wait for LTIA but I'm looking forward to hearing S%BB this year. Thanks to everyone who is making these releases possible!

Yep, Fripp has just updated the diary again, and now we know that Discipline has been mastered, so this might be an extra confirmation of its release in the fall. Here's one bit of info regarding DVD extras:

"Added-value extras for the DVD include the original cassette recordings by Adrian (Belew) detailing his adventure in All Saints Road, around the corner from Basing Street Studios." These recordings were featured in the song "Thela Hun Ginjeet" on the album (for those not familiar with this particular Crimson record).

Okay, it is Monday Morning, and as promised here is the first - world exclusive - look at the next 2 in the series.
Remember - you read it all here first!!

CD - Starless & Bible Black

2011 Stereo mix
The Great Deceiver
Lament
We'll Let You Know
The Night Watch
Trio
The Mincer
Starless & Bible Black
Fracture
CD Extras
The Law of Maximum Distress: Part 1
Improv: The Mincer
The Law of Maximum Distress: Part 2
Dr. Diamond from 23/6/1973
Guts on my Side (composite of two recordings)

DVD MAIN
5.1 Surround sound mix (appears in Lossless & DTS)

The Great Deceiver
Lament
We'll Let You Know
The Night Watch
Trio
The Mincer
Starless & Bible Black
Fracture
2011 Stereo mix (appears in Lossless & DVD)

The Great Deceiver
Lament
We'll Let You Know
The Night Watch
Trio
The Mincer
Starless & Bible Black
Fracture
Original mix, 30th anniversary master (appears in lossless & DVD)

The Great Deceiver
Lament
We'll Let You Know
The Night Watch
Trio
The Mincer
Starless & Bible Black
Fracture

DVD EXTRAS

5.1 Audio
Easy Money (from Nightwatch)
Video
Easy Money (NY Central Park)
Fragged Dusty Wall Carpet
Easy Money promo film [if different from main NY version]
SABB advert [if video]
Audio (appears in Lossless & DVD)

Lament
The Night Watch
Fracture
The Law of Maximum Distress: Part 1
Improv: The Mincer
The Law of Maximum Distress: Part 2
(1 - 6 from Zurich, November 1973)
We'll Let You Know (unedited from Great Deceiver)
Dr. Diamond from 23/6/1973
Guts on my Side (composite of two Recordings
KC SABB radio advert (30 second version)
KC SABB radio advert (60 second version)

CD - Discipline

New SW RF mix
Elephant Talk
Frame By Frame
Matte Kudasai
Indiscipline
Thela Hun Gingeet
The Sheltering Sky
Discipline
CD Extras

Selection of Ade's vocal loops
The Sheltering Sky (SW alt mix)
Thela Hun Gingeet (SW alt mix)

DVD MAIN
5.1 Surround sound mix (appears in Lossless & DTS)

Elephant Talk
Frame By Frame
Matte Kudasai
Indiscipline
Thela Hun Gingeet
The Sheltering Sky
Discipline
New SW RF mix

Elephant Talk
Frame By Frame
Matte Kudasai
Indiscipline
Thela Hun Gingeet
The Sheltering Sky
Discipline
30th anniversary master (appears in Lossless & DVD)
(inc. bonus track from 30th anniv/current master)
Elephant Talk
Frame By Frame
Matte Kudasai
Indiscipline
Thela Hun Gingeet
The Sheltering Sky
Discipline
Matte Kudasai (alt take)
Album rough mix, original running order
Discipline
Thela Hun Gingeet
Matte Kudasai
Elephant Talk
The Sheltering Sky
Frame By Frame
Indiscipline

DVD EXTRAS

Video

Elephant Talk - Live, BBC Old Grey Whistle Test
Frame By Frame - Studio, BBC Old Grey Whistle Test
Indiscipline - Studio, BBC Old Grey Whistle Test
Elephant Talk - Studio, BBC Old Grey Whistle Test
Audio (appears in Lossless & DTS)
Selection of Ade's vocal loops
The Sheltering Sky
Thela Hun Gingeet
Thela (the terrifying tale of… from tourbox)

Thanks so much Neil! Great to know we'll be getting some video extras with these releases. Do you know when the release date will be, Neil? I can imagine it's probably sometime in October.

Thanks Neil - Can't wait for:

"Cigarettes, Icecream, figurines of the Virgin Mary"

Discipline was the album in which I rediscovered KC. I saw them several times live during this period and this remains my favorite band lineup. Great news!

Back