Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmm, i do wonder if that means the 4.0 mix is dead in the water. it was/is a terribly dull mix, needing a degree or two of EQ to make it sound interesting. Guess we'll have to wait and see...............

OD

Attachments

• 101611Floyd-600.jpg
    101611Floyd-600.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Mmmmmm, i do wonder if that means the 4.0 mix is dead in the water. it was/is a terribly dull mix, needing a degree or two of EQ to make it sound interesting. Guess we'll have to wait and see...............

OD

Well.... it's not the most inventive Quad mix (barely impossible to follow up AP's DSOTM Quad Mix extraordinaire)..but it has its moments...and extra stuff that is pretty cool.

I am VERY happy with my version, so , unless I get a splendid job, the boxset will not be part of my collection....

And , BTW, I also vote for a DVD-A/V- Bluray combo. although I think that BluRay is dwindling and DVDs will prevail on th e long run....

Kap'n, Blu-Ray may be dwindling in Espana, but the format is thriving in the US. If only they'd release some more albums on Blu-Ray-A...

I'll pass on the SACD, but will be Immersing myself. Curious to hear the Guthrie 5.1 mix. Would love to hear a comparison of the Blu-Ray 5.1 vs. SACD 5.1, or a "review" of them. I currently have a US Q8 & a UK SQ.

Linda
Ma Chine

Well.... it's not the most inventive Quad mix (barely impossible to follow up AP's DSOTM Quad Mix extraordinaire)..but it has its moments...and extra stuff that is pretty cool.

I am VERY happy with my version, so , unless I get a splendid job, the boxset will not be part of my collection....

And , BTW, I also vote for a DVD-A/V- Bluray combo. although I think that BluRay is dwindling and DVDs will prevail on th e long run....

Hey guys, I could never figure out where that "extra stuff" in the quad mix was. I tried long and hard, but I just couldn't hear any material in it that was not present in the stereo mix. Can anybody point me to it?

Hey guys, I could never figure out where that "extra stuff" in the quad mix was. I tried long and hard, but I just couldn't hear any material in it that was not present in the stereo mix. Can anybody point me to it?
I haven't analyzed the whole thing, but in Breathe there are noticeable extra "filler" guitar parts that aren't in the stereo version.

Sorry I was thinking about DSOTM. In shine on, the girls' chorus comes in on the first verse sooner and there are many more guitar parts, alot in the end of shine on.

Last edited:
OK. Listening to WYWH 4.0 q8 hi rez right now. This mix is getting short shrift on the board. Creativity in multichannel should be determined based primarily on separation of instruments. Anyne can widen a stereo recording, but deciding where instruments should go is the real trick--they have to talk to eachother. The separation on the 4.0 mix is how I envision it. This should hold up as a standard for how the record should sound. It is in the shadows of AP's DSOTM mix, but just as good. Let's see if Guthrie's mix of WYWH is better than a wide stereo mix--which is what DSOTM on SACD was.

Picked up the 'Wish You Were Here' Immersion Box Set today at J&B in Sydney. Pleased to see the Blu Ray has the 2009, Quad and Stereo mixes.
Normally not keen on all the extra nonsense in the packaging but was amazed to see a replica ticket of the Pink Floyd concert I went to at Porte de Pantin Paris (I still have the original somewhere) in Feb 1977. Aside from getting trampled by thousands of french people wanting to leave at once after the last note, my sister getting mugged and robbed in Brussels on the train back to the Netherlands and a few other adventures; the concert was memorable for the whole of Animals in one half and WYWH in the other. 2-3 songs from DSOTM made up the encore.

Can't wait to put the Blu Ray on...

one question for Channelar, Does the WYWH immersion boxset came with scratched discs?????
I have the DSOTM one, and one disc was severely scratched, playable but scratched.

Where do the discs from WYWH immersion boxset were made????

The WYWH immersion disc layout is similar to the DSOTM layout. When I opened my box the discs were everywhere. The Blu Ray is in its own cardboard sleeve. I don't seem to have any scratches but it wouldn't be a surprise as they are unlikely to stay in place during shipment.

To my mind the packaging, contents and related concepts are crap (despite the inclusion of the Paris ticket) . I prefer concise packaging like the Star Wars Blu Ray edition. Easier to store. I might have to buy another house if there are too many more of these. They make iTunes seem like a good idea (what!….it is a good idea…). Does anyone have any idea why the box set is labelled (in french 'Ceci nest pas one boîte') This is not a box… ????? With 'Wish You Were Here' in small print. Storm must not have had much work lately. My response is ...'Pourquoi est-ce une boîte ?'

The only country source I can see anywhere is the Netherlands but I think that relates to the scarf. The Blu Ray has a German FSK mark. I will find some higher magnification glasses to see if I can glean any further information. My guess is its made in Europe and shipped worldwide (the Australian version will normally be from Europe). The US and Japanese editions could be manufactured locally.

But to the content:

Have so far only played the 2009 mix on the Blu Ray and the DVD. The Blu Ray sounds, as expected, incredible.I hope it sounds this good in Heaven . The mix appears to be 4.1. Will A-B the other mixes later. Will also A-B to DSOTM 2003 mix which I have a contradictory nagging feeling sounds superior but I may be imaginging it. More later...

After being wowed by DSOTM Immersion, I'm waiting anxiously for WYWH Immersion. I'll but it at retail, so I can open it then and there and check for scatched discs. I had to open three DSOTM's to get one without scratches.

Perhaps a bit off topic: Paul Simon also did a tribute song called "Rene And Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After The War." It's on the predecessor to Graceland, the oft overlooked Hearts and Bones, a wonderful album (2ch). Columbia released the 2-disc Essential Paul Simon compilation on 10/25.

Linda

Hmm, AcousticSound requested payment already but since then order status is "On hold". Has anybody received shipping notification?

Anyone going to be in the Denver area this weekend? This would be cool to check out! Perhaps a few reviews of the mix will start to trickle out by next week.
Well here is a report of someone who was invited for the whole event. Including detailed review of the 5.1 SACD and cautious hints that James Guthrie is trying to get The Wall into 5.1.

Well here is a report of someone who was invited for the whole event. Including detailed review of the 5.1 SACD and cautious hints that James Guthrie is trying to get The Wall into 5.1.

Interesting read with a great in depth review! Thanks for the link.

In discussion after the playback, in regards to scheduling for future 5.1 projects, Guthrie remarked that The Wall would likely be the next project and the one he most desires, but because the process moves very slowly there is no actual timetable as of now in regards to its completion.

With additional Experience and Immersion sets being discussed for next year and beyond, Guthrie’s role in the organization remains sonically essential as Pink Floyd officially reveals the depth and breadth of their legacy for the enjoyment of all fans.

Back