What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keen to know what you think of the Ladysmith discs... I have Long Walk to Freedom - which is very well done...

Well I have a pretty hefty "to listen to" Hi-Res/5.1 pile right now, Mike.. but as soon as I get around to it of course I'll report back on what I think of these 2 LSBM SACDs :)

Their "Long Walk to Freedom" SACD is also on my shopping list but I really should digest all that's come in recently.. (and what's still on its way! I've lost count but I must have at least another 10 SACDs/DVDAs, maybe more, in the mail right now) ..before I buy anymore..!! :eek:

Mine is DVD-V with DTS

..Its easily the best Bowie 5.1 mix ever/so far.. and its one I really wish was a DVD-A.. even though the DTS is really as good as you're gonna get from lossy.

My biggest gripe is.. if only it had been authored to play the 5.1 DTS stream automatically, rather than be forced to have the TV on in order to wade through needlessly convoluted menu's (and endure the overloud "background music" that accompanies those menu's!) to play the best quality surround mix..!! :mad:

I've not given it a proper listen yet, no. I'll certainly keep my eyes open for that other quad mix. Thanks for the heads up :)

Seems to be the way with these things. Pick up a bargain one week, find it elsewhere the next for 5 times as much or vice versa! ;) Right now, I'm content with finding bargains. I have a wish list which I will save up for over time, but the longer I wait, the more these things go up in value :-/ The 3 Genesis box sets will be mine, one day ;)

you're welcome :) it's a night and day difference in sound quality between the UMG Deluxe Ed and the Quad reel conversion.. and from memory the two mixes are slightly different, with the reel having more effective placement of stuff in the rears etc.. I'm sure someone will correct me if my memory's wonky!?

one of the Genesis SACD box sets (I think its the '83-'98 one..?) still pops up for around the 40-50 quid mark online.
from memory (again) its the '70-'75 with the best sound and the '76> box that goes for the highest dough now. If I get offered any of the boxes I'll PM you. I'm in the same boat, except I (foolishly) passed on all the Genesis boxes when they were readily available years ago.. even HMV Oxford Street had them all gathering dust for years, no-one was interested, myself included as they'd got such a roasting for their remastering.. now of course they're gone and prices have gone up in line with so many of the more sought after SACDs :(

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor...haven't played yet, that's DVD-A dual disc if I recall?
Kinks - Muswell Hillbillies SACD - Great LP even if just in stereo...... Preservation Act 1 and I've completed by Kinks SACD collection, after Misfits the interest wanes.
Four Tops- Main Street People - QS LP.... Hey, if its rock/soul/pop and in QS, I buy it when I see it. John

Magenta - Metamorphosis Collection (DVD) Dolby Digital

From the DTS Surround Series (all DTS and DVD-A):
-The Nutcracker (Jackson, Lso) [CD + Dvda] [DVD AUDIO]
-Handel's Water Garden [CD+DVD] [DVD AUDIO]
-Tchaikovsky Classics [CD+DVDA] [DVD AUDIO]
-Schubert Classics [CD & DVD] [DVD AUDIO]
-Beethoven Classics (Lso) [CD + Dvda] [DVD AUDIO]

Joe Satriani - Strange Beautiful Music (SACD) (thanks filper)

Cornelius - SENSURROUND PLUS B SIDES (CD+DVD-V, I dont know if it is DVDA too)

Live At The Grand Opera House - Mostly Autumn (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Warriors Of The World - Manowar (Hybrid M/C SACD).

(YEAY! I finally got the Manowar!)

:banana:

Handel: Arias - Renee Fleming (Hybrid M/C SACD),
A Brief History Of Time - Penguin Cafe Orchestra (Hybrid SACD),
Final Straw - Snow Patrol (Hybrid M/C SACD).

Morrison Hotel and Queen Jazz SACDs

Attachments

• morrision_hotel_disk.jpg
    morrision_hotel_disk.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 174
Just received a copy of the Beach Boy's 'Pet Sounds' DVD-A.

Set phasers to stunned!! I thought I had heard Pet Sounds, but this is something else :)

307394_10151566053930499_1354132904_n.jpg

Playing this right now. AP puts really nice labels on their SACDs unlike other companies (MFSL, AF, etc.)

Attachments

• doors_la_label.jpg
    doors_la_label.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 159
I still completely fail to understand why these Doors - not to mention all the others in the same way - reissues have been done to SACD when DVD-A/V images were already authored & available, moreover the SACD seriously restricts the user base. Oh - and you do not get all the additional content on the orignals either.

Plain daft.

Because it's a format that EVERYBODY can play. Of course, as a CD, it won't sound any better than a standard CD, but most people are too stupid to realize this, so they buy the disc as an "Audiophile" pressing to play on their CD players. They don't get advanced res or a multi-channel disc that is usable, but they have an ultra-high-fidelity pressing. Besides, doesn't Super Audio CD mean it's a CD that sounds better? And it will sound even more ultra-boffo when stored as an MP3 file and played through earbuds and/or those ultra-high-fidelity computer speakers.

No, I'm not against SACD. If I was, I wouldn't own 600 of them.

Yes, I'd rather have an SACD, especially in 5.1, than a standard CD. Still, I don't think I'll be parting with my Perception DVD-A box with a peep hole anytime soon. If I didn't own that, I might bite on the Doors SACD's.

Strange Days, indeed.

I still completely fail to understand why these Doors - not to mention all the others in the same way - reissues have been done to SACD when DVD-A/V images were already authored & available, moreover the SACD seriously restricts the user base. Oh - and you do not get all the additional content on the orignals either.

Plain daft.

Yes, I'd rather have an SACD, especially in 5.1, than a standard CD. Still, I don't think I'll be parting with my Perception DVD-A box with a peep hole anytime soon. If I didn't own that, I might bite on the Doors SACD's.
It's not like you'd be re-buying the same thing. These have the original stereo mixes. Of course if all you play is 5.1 then this might not be relevant.

I have the Perception box also. I guess we all do.

I've bought 4 of the SACDs.

Now if we could get AP to put out The Best Of The Doors with original quad mixes. I don't understand why AP seems to have no interest in this. I think it would be a top seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back