What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
really!? wow! the 461 OB sacd is a test/reference disc in multichannel for me, its fantastic in every way!

Don't get me wrong Adam, the multichannel mix is excellent, but i prefer the songs on Slowhand at this present time......i'm sure the songs will appeal more, the more i listen ( Just given it another spin now....and cranked it up a bit more ! :D )

Just as a sidenote : Listening just now, again i think how fantastic Toto's other albums would have been in 5.1 Their style of music is / would be perfect for 5.1
Lukather's guitar, Paich's keyboards, Pocaro brothers ( all superb ) topped off with one of the greatest percussionists ever.....Lenny Castro. ( Oh, i can just dream !!! )

Moscow Symphonic Orchestra - The Adventures Of Robin Hood (DVD-A)
Tomita - Symphony Ihatov (SACD, 4.0)

This I found in an 2013 interview (http://www.tokyoweekender.com/2013/01/isao-tomita-qa/):

What future projects do you have planned?
Tomita: I’m continuing to work with Columbia on updating some of my albums and remixing them to 5.1 surround sound.

That sounds good to me. A shame the interviewer was not interested in 5.1 and did not ask which records, who is mixing it, etc.

Only DD so a bit offtopic here...
Dream Theater - Systemathic Chaos (DD-DVD)
Paul van Dyk - Global (DD-DVD)

Markus

Moscow Symphonic Orchestra - The Adventures Of Robin Hood (DVD-A)
Tomita - Symphony Ihatov (SACD, 4.0)

This I found in an 2013 interview (http://www.tokyoweekender.com/2013/01/isao-tomita-qa/):

What future projects do you have planned?
Tomita: I’m continuing to work with Columbia on updating some of my albums and remixing them to 5.1 surround sound.

That sounds good to me. A shame the interviewer was not interested in 5.1 and did not ask which records, who is mixing it, etc.

Only DD so a bit offtopic here...
Dream Theater - Systemathic Chaos (DD-DVD)
Paul van Dyk - Global (DD-DVD)

Markus
What do you think of the Symphony Ihatov disc?
I'm thinking of buying it.

What do you think of the Symphony Ihatov disc?
I'm thinking of buying it.

I like it (while I heard it in Stereo only so far in the office)... But I'm a Tomita fan. It is much, much more organized live performance than e.g. Tomita's Mind of the Universe. So no Helicopters in the sky with attached speakers :)

Markus

Thriller - Michael Jackson (SACD),
Quincy Jones - Ultimate Collection (SACD),
Focus - Ennio Morricone & Dulce Pontes (Hybrid M/C SACD),
The Mass - Era (Hybrid M/C SACD).

Thriller - Michael Jackson (SACD),
Good choice. Has to be one of the best sounding SACDs. Sony is nuts putting this out of print. Wanna Be Starting Something is amazing, and Beat It. Too bad there is so much filler on this album though.

Good choice. Has to be one of the best sounding SACDs. Sony is nuts putting this out of print. Wanna Be Starting Something is amazing, and Beat It. Too bad there is so much filler on this album though.

I'd resisted getting it for so long, mostly in the hope that the 5.1 mix might just make it out one day, especially since MJ's passing, I felt a slim possibility it could finally appear.. but it now seems less likely than ever.. so when the opportunity arose last week to buy it (in superb condition I might add, its the Euro edition, like new, paper slipcase and all) I caved in and hunkered down the notes to at least have it on SACD.

Looking forward to hearing it at last!

I'd resisted getting it for so long, mostly in the hope that the 5.1 mix might just make it out one day, especially since MJ's passing, I felt a slim possibility it could finally appear.. but it now seems less likely than ever.. so when the opportunity arose last week to buy it (in superb condition I might add, its the Euro edition, like new, paper slipcase and all) I caved in and hunkered down the notes to at least have it on SACD.

Looking forward to hearing it at last!

I read last year, around the time of BAD 25 release, that they brought someone in to remix the BAD album in 5.1, but Michael didn't like it, and they dropped the project.
I puchased the Thriller SACD when it came out ( of course ! ) It just sounds like a good remaster to me...not anything that's signifilantly different.
Regards " filler " i couldn't disagree more ! ( and that's not a biased opinion ! ) For example, you could hardly call a track like " The Lady In My Life " as "filler" ! ( Just listen to the amazing vocal ! )
It became the biggest selling album of all time, for a reason. If it had contained filler, ( instead of Thriller ! ) it wouldn't have achieved this feat.

I read last year, around the time of BAD 25 release, that they brought someone in to remix the BAD album in 5.1, but Michael didn't like it, and they dropped the project.
I puchased the Thriller SACD when it came out ( of course ! ) It just sounds like a good remaster to me...not anything that's signifilantly different.
Regards " filler " i couldn't disagree more ! ( and that's not a biased opinion ! ) For example, you could hardly call a track like " The Lady In My Life " as "filler" ! ( Just listen to the amazing vocal ! )
It became the biggest selling album of all time, for a reason. If it had contained filler, ( instead of Thriller ! ) it wouldn't have achieved this feat.

I believe Mick Guzauski (and others allegedly had a stab at it too I recall reading years back!?) remixed it in '01 ready for M/C SACD release, to be swiftly followed by 5.1's of "Bad" and "Off The Wall".. but MJ (et al.?) didn't approve the mix, so it got shelved.

I'm surprised in the last 10+ years the mix hasn't emerged in some other form.. after all, Sony released a shedload of MJ DualDiscs of his singles back in the day, you'd have thought that might be the moment they'd consider putting out the "Thriller" 5.1 to promote the new format, if they could, I presume they still couldn't get permission or they would've!?

There are multitrack stems for various Thriller tracks floating about online (hearing the isolated vocals, bassline, synths, the EVH solo, separate drum tracks, etc from "Beat It" for example, is just... AMAZING!!) so if some enterprising QQ-er would like to have a go at remixing those in 5.1, that'd be very very cool indeed..!!

I believe Mick Guzauski (and others allegedly had a stab at it too I recall reading years back!?) remixed it in '01 ready for M/C SACD release, to be swiftly followed by 5.1's of "Bad" and "Off The Wall".. but MJ (et al.?) didn't approve the mix, so it got shelved.

I'm surprised in the last 10+ years the mix hasn't emerged in some other form.. after all, Sony released a shedload of MJ DualDiscs of his singles back in the day, you'd have thought that might be the moment they'd consider putting out the "Thriller" 5.1 to promote the new format, if they could, I presume they still couldn't get permission or they would've!?

There are multitrack stems for various Thriller tracks floating about online (hearing the isolated vocals, bassline, synths, the EVH solo, separate drum tracks, etc from "Beat It" for example, is just... AMAZING!!) so if some enterprising QQ-er would like to have a go at remixing those in 5.1, that'd be very very cool indeed..!!

That's very interesting to read, Adam ! What i would give to hear in 5.1 !! ( I think BAD, would have been brilliant !! )

Finally scored America Homecoming dvda at Half Price Books. It was 9.99 and I signed up for their email program and got another 20% off. The Luther Vandross dvda is still there and the Frampton Comes Alive dvda that I saw a week ago at 50 bucks was gone. Very happy with the America since I have borrowed it from friends a couple of times and like it.

Finally scored America Homecoming dvda at Half Price Books. It was 9.99 and I signed up for their email program and got another 20% off. The Luther Vandross dvda is still there and the Frampton Comes Alive dvda that I saw a week ago at 50 bucks was gone. Very happy with the America since I have borrowed it from friends a couple of times and like it.

Awesome deal on America...

This week I've managed to snag a few bargains, namely Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' SACD for £10 (looking forward to comparing it with the bootleg DVD-A Quad mix), Goldfrapp's 'Supernature' SACD/DVD-V for £5, Genesis' 'Foxtrot' SACD/DVD-V for £8 and Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms' SACD for £7.50!

I also managed to get a second Sony 5.1 receiver for my studio (where I do most of my listening) for £12 and a second Pioneer DV-575A Univeral player for £18 off eBay!!

It's been a good week ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back