What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Three new acquisitions today, all new and sealed and not one of them cost over £5! :banana:

First up, a DVD-A

StudioVoodoo
1237054_10151949806645499_916202192_n.jpg

This has a hidden binaural track that I will look for later! I do like my binaural ;)

Then a DTS-CD from the same crowd...

Studio Voodoo - Club Voodoo
1231576_10151949805740499_841856289_n.jpg

And finally, a CD/DVD-V combo...

BT - Music from and inspired by the film 'Monster'
945988_10151949810485499_771598968_n.jpg

This is the best of the bunch from a musical perspective! There should be way more movie soundtracks released this way.

And yes, this is the front cover, and the back cover looks like the front cover. very strange ;)

Three new acquisitions today, all new and sealed and not one of them cost over £5! :banana:

First up, a DVD-A

StudioVoodoo
View attachment 11350

This has a hidden binaural track that I will look for later! I do like my binaural ;)

Then a DTS-CD from the same crowd...

Studio Voodoo - Club Voodoo
View attachment 11352

And finally, a CD/DVD-V combo...

BT - Music from and inspired by the film 'Monster'
View attachment 11353

This is the best of the bunch from a musical perspective! There should be way more movie soundtracks released this way.

And yes, this is the front cover, and the back cover looks like the front cover. very strange ;)

What I also love about the monster disc DVD/CD combo is that the DVD is Disc 1, not disc 2.....:D

What I also love about the monster disc DVD/CD combo is that the DVD is Disc 1, not disc 2.....:D
Looks like it's just dts, not dvd-audio. I wonder what would happen if they put dts HD MA on there instead. Would it be compatible with CD players and DVD players? Would it even play on a Blu-ray machine?

Foo Fighters In Your Honor dualdisc. $4 shipped from Amazon
Kem Album II dualdisc Thanks again Fredblue! I do like the Ann Mortifee sacd you recommended,. Not exactly cruising music but recorded very well. Good to listen to when you're in a Zulu mood....

Looks like it's just dts, not dvd-audio. I wonder what would happen if they put dts HD MA on there instead. Would it be compatible with CD players and DVD players? Would it even play on a Blu-ray machine?

I didn't think you could fit DTS HD MA on a DVD? You could get the equivalent of Dolby True HD on a DVD if you use MLP encoding and authored as DVD-A (afaik. I'm sure someone more techno-minded will correct me if I'm wrong :eek:).

Kem Album II dualdisc Thanks again Fredblue! I do like the Ann Mortifee sacd you recommended,. Not exactly cruising music but recorded very well. Good to listen to when you're in a Zulu mood....

you're welcome jefe1 :) the Kem dualdisc's a good'un, not an adventurous mix but its a DVD-A and there's a fair old bit of baby-makin' electric guitar etc going on in the rears. the Ann Mortifee surround mix is spectacular in places though it is often a dramatic and challenging album, not background music at all, you're right! (y)

I didn't think you could fit DTS HD MA on a DVD? You could get the equivalent of Dolby True HD on a DVD if you use MLP encoding and authored as DVD-A (afaik. I'm sure someone more techno-minded will correct me if I'm wrong :eek:).

The DVD disc is DVD-V and the only audio options are PCM 2.0 or regular DTS 5.1. As fredblue states, I don't think a DVD would have the capacity for a lossless format such as DTS-HD. AFAIK, this album wasn't released in any other format. The CD is just a regular CD, not a DTS-CD.

That said, this is a great disc both in terms of content and quality. A couple of hours of sinister, intriguing electronic music fused with many acoustic elements. Well worth hunting down, especially for the price I got it for (£2.99)!!

I'm curious as to how this may be different to the three disc set i own where the album is on CD 1 & 2 and the DVD is a 5.1 DD mix of the second CD. Does the DualDisc have any more content on it?

I'm curious as to how this may be different to the three disc set i own where the album is on CD 1 & 2 and the DVD is a 5.1 DD mix of the second CD. Does the DualDisc have any more content on it?

I don't know.. but the Foo Fighters' DualDisc I've got (in rather nifty cardboard packaging) has a 5.1 DVD-A acoustic set, mixed by none other than Elliot Scheiner! Woo! It's also a bit of an anomaly in itself, as it was the only Sony DVD-Audio pre the Legacy ELP Steven Wilson DVD-A's.

The DVD disc is DVD-V and the only audio options are PCM 2.0 or regular DTS 5.1. As fredblue states, I don't think a DVD would have the capacity for a lossless format such as DTS-HD. AFAIK, this album wasn't released in any other format. The CD is just a regular CD, not a DTS-CD.

That said, this is a great disc both in terms of content and quality. A couple of hours of sinister, intriguing electronic music fused with many acoustic elements. Well worth hunting down, especially for the price I got it for (£2.99)!!

yep! only DVD-A does lossless 5.1. iirc., Dolby True is pretty much the same as MLP..?

Monster's on my shopping list (and has been for sometime, since LizardKing mentioned it on here) but I keep getting "harder" to get stuff instead.. knowing me I'll leave it too late and by the time I get round to buying it, it'll be rare & cost a bomb! :mad:@:

I don't know.. but the Foo Fighters' DualDisc I've got (in rather nifty cardboard packaging) has a 5.1 DVD-A acoustic set, mixed by none other than Elliot Scheiner! Woo! It's also a bit of an anomaly in itself, as it was the only Sony DVD-Audio pre the Legacy ELP Steven Wilson DVD-A's.

Ah yes, I forgot my version is DVD-A too, so it would appear these are the same, just on different carriers :)

Phew... I can spend that cash elsewhere ;)

yep! only DVD-A does lossless 5.1. iirc., Dolby True is pretty much the same as MLP..?

Yes, IIRC Dolby True HD is founded on the MLP process but that's where the similarity ends between it and DVD-A, the former being able to carry more than twice the discrete channels.

Monster's on my shopping list (and has been for sometime, since LizardKing mentioned it on here) but I keep getting "harder" to get stuff instead.. knowing me I'll leave it too late and by the time I get round to buying it, it'll be rare & cost a bomb! :mad:@:

Check your inbox...

It could be recorded on DVD as a 3X AVCHD with DTS-HD Master or Dolby True-HD and would then play on most BD players.

I've never seen the movie Monster, but have always heard wonderful things about its soundtrack, especially its 5.1 channel soundtrack. So it looks like I'm going to have to find me a copy.

It could be recorded on DVD as a 3X AVCHD with DTS-HD Master or Dolby True-HD and would then play on most BD players.

I've never seen the movie Monster, but have always heard wonderful things about its soundtrack, especially its 5.1 channel soundtrack. So it looks like I'm going to have to find me a copy.

To the best of my knowledge, this DTS Entertainment release was only ever a CD and DVD-V combo, with the DVD audio being DTS 5.1 or stereo PCM. I've seen many references to this album as "DVD Audio" but I've never found irrefutable proof of the existence of a true DVD-A.

As for finding a copy, I got mine from a UK based eBay seller for £2.99! If you want the link, drop me a PM here and I'll pass it on. I don't have it to hand right now :)

Of course, if any one has knowledge of a lossless version of this, I'd be very interested too! :)

And regarding the movie, it's a very good film. You will hardly recognise the beautiful Charlize Theron in the lead role!

The Dualdiscs version is interesting... Disc 1 is a DVD-V with stereo Only LPCM, Disc 2 as said is a DVD-A...

The Dualdiscs version is interesting... Disc 1 is a DVD-V with stereo Only LPCM, Disc 2 as said is a DVD-A...

The three disc version has the album across the 2 CD's and then the 2nd acoustic disc is on the DVD-A. I'm assuming the DualDisc DVD-A portion just has those Disc 2 tracks and not Disc 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back