Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig your optimism, about a large print run, but since Deep Purple is kicking YES butt in the HOF voting, I doubt it. 5.1 fans like us are such a tiny subset of YES fans, and since there aren't more YES fans speaking out in the HOF poll(heck even Peter Gabriel is giving YES a run for the money....) I doubt its becasue of public pressure.
We have A LOT more work to do spreading the gospel of 5.1...

As far as waiting:

2013 - 1972 = 41 years. 41 years is a long wait as far as I am concerned. ;)

I do like the "many more" YES 5.1 titles part of your post. :banana:

I wonder if SW/NW will ever get around to redoing Renaissance.

Personally, I put the wait at 10 years, since my 1st exposure to hi-rez surround (Fragile)- which is when I first started lusting after the same treatment for CttE, which I always felt would be the ultimate surround disc (due to the attributes of the album as well as it being my ultimate album already). Still a long wait, but given that for years it looked like it would never receive this treatment, what's a few more days/weeks? Yes, I'm very impatient and I've had a hard time waiting even just for the original release date, but put in perspective, it's not a huge deal. I just hope there's no more delays and they hit the 11/5 date for Amazon.

I'm more impatient actually for the whole catalog and hope this is not a long, drawn-out release process ala the KC's; one a year would be rather difficult. But still, bottom line is I'm overjoyed the classic Yes discs are getting the SW treatment.

In the SW interview linked in the general forum, he mentions a lot of 5.1 projects he hopes to do, but no Renaissance...

Personally, I put the wait at 10 years, since my 1st exposure to hi-rez surround (Fragile)- which is when I first started lusting after the same treatment for CttE, which I always felt would be the ultimate surround disc (due to the attributes of the album as well as it being my ultimate album already). Still a long wait, but given that for years it looked like it would never receive this treatment, what's a few more days/weeks? Yes, I'm very impatient and I've had a hard time waiting even just for the original release date, but put in perspective, it's not a huge deal. I just hope there's no more delays and they hit the 11/5 date for Amazon.

I'm more impatient actually for the whole catalog and hope this is not a long, drawn-out release process ala the KC's; one a year would be rather difficult. But still, bottom line is I'm overjoyed the classic Yes discs are getting the SW treatment.

In the SW interview linked in the general forum, he mentions a lot of 5.1 projects he hopes to do, but no Renaissance...

Ok, just to kill more time: As far as me personally waiting, Nobody I have ever met in my life has seemed to enjoy listening to me complain, so I won't complain about the wait on a personal level. (I am NOT saying that anybody here is compaining. in fact the 41 year wait is an afront to us all for sure!)

A very fine fellow here quoted George Harrison saying that he didn't see a reason for the Beatles to be mixed into stereo from mono. That is just the best example I could make for my point that 4.0 or 5.1 mixing is just a logical(and needed) step for musical reproduction, since the phongram was invented.(I have no idea if we need to go 7.1 or 9.2.... that is for another day.)

So that would have us waiting from the original release point of CTTE. 1972. 41 years. We are 41 years overdue to hear CTTE and many other fine multi-track recordings the way they "should have" sounded!

Just an opinion, but I dare say all the early 4.0 mixes weren't done as a gag. I think the engineers believed in that additional sonic space. So my point is the clock is still ticking on any well recorded multis from the actual 1st release date of the recording!

41 years baby, ya can't argue with Old Father Time.

Ok, just to kill more time: As far as me personally waiting, Nobody I have ever met in my life has seemed to enjoy listening to me complain, so I won't complain about the wait on a personal level. (I am NOT saying that anybody here is compaining. in fact the 41 year wait is an afront to us all for sure!)

A very fine fellow here quoted George Harrison saying that he didn't see a reason for the Beatles to be mixed into stereo from mono. That is just the best example I could make for my point that 4.0 or 5.1 mixing is just a logical(and needed) step for musical reproduction, since the phongram was invented.(I have no idea if we need to go 7.1 or 9.2.... that is for another day.)

So that would have us waiting from the original release point of CTTE. 1972. 41 years. We are 41 years overdue to hear CTTE and many other fine multi-track recordings the way they "should have" sounded!

Just an opinion, but I dare say all the early 4.0 mixes weren't done as a gag. I think the engineers believed in that additional sonic space. So my point is the clock is still ticking on any well recorded multis from the actual 1st release date of the recording!

41 years baby, ya can't argue with Old Father Time.

OK, can't argue w/ that perspective. So, the guy who's finally re-mixing this to surround wasn't even born when our wait began...

I dig your optimism, about a large print run, but since Deep Purple is kicking YES butt in the HOF voting, I doubt it. 5.1 fans like us are such a tiny subset of YES fans, and since there aren't more YES fans speaking out in the HOF poll(heck even Peter Gabriel is giving YES a run for the money....) I doubt its becasue of public pressure.
We have A LOT more work to do spreading the gospel of 5.1...

As far as waiting:

2013 - 1972 = 41 years. 41 years is a long wait as far as I am concerned. ;)

I do like the "many more" YES 5.1 titles part of your post. :banana:

I wonder if SW/NW will ever get around to redoing Renaissance.

In this interview I did with Jon Camp of Renaissance last year, he mentioned that he offered to do a 5.1 mix for the last Renaissance reissue campaign but was told "No". He is a fan of Surround and expressed his love for the then-recently released King Crimson Larks' Tongues in Aspic 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson. Full interview here:

Part 1:
https://soundcloud.com/#alan-burant/cjsr-2012-11-05-20-00-00

Part 2:
https://soundcloud.com/#alan-burant/cjsr-2012-11-12-joncamp-pt2

Renaissance in 5.1 would be awesome!

Can you give us anything about the 5.1 mix on the Hackett release? :)

I've just watched 3 tracks. Only 3 as (a) there was an important football game on tv to watch tonight, and (b) I'm going to see him this Thursday, and I wanted to keep it fresh!

The dvd looks promising, and what a setlist. The 5.1 is only dolby digital I'm afraid. All I noticed from the rears was the usual concert dvd echoey sounds. Still a worthwhile purchase though, an excellent set at a good price.

So- I did an online chat w/ Amazon Cust Serv as to why they had a release date of 11/5 but couldn't give me an est. deliv. date. Much run-around, no real answers, but I got the feeling they put 11/5 as a release date but are expecting they might not get the discs by then. I was told expedited shipping est. deliv. date was 11/20 (15 days after their posted release date!?!?)! Bottom line, they agreed to update me to 1-day shipping for free, so I'll get it ASAP once they get them in, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another delay on this...

My Amazon order is cheaper than that. I pre-ordered before they jacked the price up to full list.

Amazon UK update:

Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Yes "Close To The Edge"
Estimated arrival date: November 07 2013 - November 09 2013

Thanks Wave! I did not know of that site so the OP using the common tongue for that site confused me especially since it is natively a pun.

@al p: Thanks for the Renaissance URL. I believe musical cream always rises to the top, so I think Renaissance will one day get its proper due in multi-channel. Since I do think people like Steven Wilson, their whole motivation in re-mixing other band's music in 5.1, is that it simply deserves it!

YES update: No update about "somethings coming" on YES - Facebook, even though it is already Thursday into "next week".

Update: Lets not forget: Rush: Clockwork Angels Tour [Blu-ray]. Best RUSH in decades! By far. A must own disc. I can't wait to hear/have this one. :smokin

Back