MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The TP Torpedoes BDA was from Universal in the U.S.A., nothing to do with HFPA which is Universal Europe.. had HFPA been a UMe endeavour I'm pretty sure we'd have seen more 5.1 mixes, extras, video, greater transparency of source tapes used etc.. ah well.. for whatever reason, Hi-Rez Surround releases from Universal in the States since they pulled out of rock/pop M/C SACD and DualDisc/DVD-A have been sporadic and artist-driven but largely great and very welcome.

Joe Bonamassa 4 blurays from his appearances in England. I have all 4 but I can't stop watching the Royal Albert Hall concert. Amazing playing great picture and awesome sound!! This actually has some carry over from the keys and guitars to the rear and a really cool version of "John Henry" with a really excellent surround theremin solo.

highly recommended and easily in my Top 5 all time concert videos

Love Joe B but had been disappointed in his previous Blu Ray efforts - everything was drenched in reverb. Was pleasantly surprised by the Shepherds Bush Blues night dic. Great overall sound. The horn section is a great addition but I wish they had mixed them in the rears instead of the front left. Still a worthwhile addition - I'll have to pick up the Royal Albert Hall based on your recommendation - thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love Joe B but had been disappointed in his previous Blu Ray efforts - everything was drenched in reverb. Was pleasantly surprised by the Shepherds Bush Blues night dic. Great overall sound. The horn section is a great addition but I wish they had mixed them in the rears instead of the front left. Still a worthwhile addition - I'll have to pick up the Royal Albert Hall based on your recommendation - thanks!
I, too, was disappointed with the earlier BluRays. This one, however, is crystal clear with nice punch and none of the annoying reverby sound. Really nice acoustic set to open the show up too.

TFF showed up today from amazon seller beaches entertainment. $17 plus $3.99 shipping (sent 1st class).

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! Sounds very lifelike even on my old first generation Panasonic Blu-ray player. My newer player, a Pioneer Elite high-end model has some sort of odd mechanical problem when playing the disc which I will have to study further.

Attachments

• tff.jpg
    tff.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Latest bunch here as follows:
1 - Sex Pistols, "Never Mind The Bollocks" - supposedly taken from the "thought to be long lost" original mix masters, and is definitely a long way above even the recent Box Set edition.
2 - Nirvana - "Nevermind" & "In Utero" - Nevermind has never sounded as good, and I will be checking In Utero this afternoon.
3 - Tom Petty - Damn The Torpedoes (finally got around to this one)

I broke down and bought the blu-ray of Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill today, despite already owning the vinyl and CD versions. I just really love that album and got a good deal at a local store.

How would you rate the 5.1 mixes?

How would you rate the 5.1 mixes?

No 5.1 but a fine Blu ray cant have enough Neil Young and Crazy Horse and of course you get all of 'Horseback' as a bonus, plus multiple Pills.

I actually quite like Americana as well.

nice to have full strength audio and Video if you like that sort of thing certainly a good year for shakey

Thanks very much for the info about Feist - Metals on Blu-ray audio from France.
I ordered one right away from amazon.fr with a little help from google translate.
It sounds absolutely fantastic!
Of course i would have wanted 5.1 also but still it blows the previous release away

Thanks very much for the info about Feist - Metals on Blu-ray audio from France.
I ordered one right away from amazon.fr with a little help from google translate.
It sounds absolutely fantastic!
Of course i would have wanted 5.1 also but still it blows the previous release away

You're welcome :) Glad you like it (y)

Rock Candy Funk Party Takes New York Live At The Iridium

Joe Bonamassa and several of his band members most notably his drummer, Tal Bergman (also producer), go incognito as a 70's style funk/ fusion band ala Crusaders/Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck.

Great live mix - active rears - primarily lead & rhythm guitar - excellent disc HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and completely unexpected. DTS HD MA 5.1

Joe Bonamassa 4 blurays from his appearances in England. I have all 4 but I can't stop watching the Royal Albert Hall concert. Amazing playing great picture and awesome sound!! This actually has some carry over from the keys and guitars to the rear and a really cool version of "John Henry" with a really excellent surround theremin solo.

highly recommended and easily in my Top 5 all time concert videos

I had never heard of Joe before seeing that he had 6 Live Blu rays out! I rented one from Lovefilm, live at Albert Hall. Some really annoying choices on the 5.1 mix. Horns just in right front/rear speaker with nothing in left rear. Surround 101; create a balance. Don't just put one instrument in a particular rear channel then have nothing balancing that out on the other side. Musically i was very impressed. The slower blues stuff is great!

Do you recommend all 4 Blu rays? What are the 5.1 mixes like?

Make sure that this is the one you get. There is another RAH Bluray that is drenched in reverb.

I recommend all the Tour de Force BR's because each one is with a different band and different feel. The mixes on the TdF BR's are quite different as well. Each one fits the band type and are IMO excellent.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 206
Make sure that this is the one you get. There is another RAH Bluray that is drenched in reverb.

I recommend all the Tour de Force BR's because each one is with a different band and different feel. The mixes on the TdF BR's are quite different as well. Each one fits the band type and are IMO excellent.

Thanks

Bob, from one of your previous posts you said this was in your top 5 live surrounds. I'm not a huge blues fan but since its in your top 5 I ordered the RAH TDF you mentioned, I saw there was a older Albert hall as well, glad you clarified that is not the one to order. I am curious what are your other 4 that would make your top 5?

peter

Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds The New Generation. Great picture and a good dts MA surround mix (although the rears are mostly used for effects). It's nice to see how the show has evolved and the new cast maintain the original standards. Liam Neeson holds his own in the role of the narrator and is more integrated than the "talking head" version of Richard Burton used for the original shows. The only thing that jars slightly is Marti Pellow in the Justin Hayward role but Justin's voice is so familiar and unique that it's a very difficult act to follow. Highly recommended.

Usher OMG tour. Really poor 5.1 mix. Nothing in rears including crowd. Crowd is loud in FRONTS! What an idiotic mixing choice. 2.0 track and 5.1 are petty much the same!

Rock Candy Funk Party Takes New York Live At The Iridium

Joe Bonamassa and several of his band members most notably his drummer, Tal Bergman (also producer), go incognito as a 70's style funk/ fusion band ala Crusaders/Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck.

Great live mix - active rears - primarily lead & rhythm guitar - excellent disc HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and completely unexpected. DTS HD MA 5.1

I have put that one in my Amazon basket, thanks. Joe has another Blu Ray coming out this month as well! That will make 9 in total released i believe. I wish Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Slayer, Chili Peppers etc had 9 Blu rays. Thank you Joe!

Back