MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, from one of your previous posts you said this was in your top 5 live surrounds. I'm not a huge blues fan but since its in your top 5 I ordered the RAH TDF you mentioned, I saw there was a older Albert hall as well, glad you clarified that is not the one to order. I am curious what are your other 4 that would make your top 5?

peter

My five in no special order would be.... and I know it's supposed to be BluRay but...

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature Plush TV Jazz-Rock Party in Hi-fi Stereo (GREAT surround mix) (DVD only with DTS mix)
Joe Bonamassa - Tour De Force Royal Albert Hall
Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere (Beautiful mix DVD only)/Anesthetize (BluRay)
Various Artists - Concert For George (BluRay)
Joe Satriani - Satchurated (BluRay)

Honorable Mention -
Loggins & Messina - Sittin' In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl (DVD only again)
Roy Orbison - Black & White Night (BluRay or DVD either way you can't go wrong)

Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert bluray. saw the broadcast on a PBS station and had to get this.....

Joe Bonamassa is on my radar now.

Aerosmith Rock for the rising sun. Great performance; OK sound, not much in rears. Terrible editing, interviews between songs ruining the show. Should of been separate as extras.
The Who Live at Isle of Man. Much better than i expected. Decent 5.1 mix. Pete supervised this mix himself and the bass guitar is mixed like a rhythm guitar would be; NOT in stereo but in left front speaker(mostly). Pete's guitar is in right speaker.

Might you have meant this?:
the-who-rocks-out-20090128005629178-000.jpg
..."And, now the 'OO"

Aerosmith Rock for the rising sun. Great performance; OK sound, not much in rears. Terrible editing, interviews between songs ruining the show. Should of been separate as extras.
The Who Live at Isle of Man. Much better than i expected. Decent 5.1 mix. Pete supervised this mix himself and the bass guitar is mixed like a rhythm guitar would be; NOT in stereo but in left front speaker(mostly). Pete's guitar is in right speaker.

Has anyone a/b'ed it to the SACD?

I just got the new Sony Blu ray audio- the Mozart/Viredi Requiem cd/blu ray set. noy a big fan of classical music, but Sony did a great job on this. 2 cds of the music, and 1 blu ray disc. beautifully packaged and with great notes. i hope they do as well with the comtemporary music this spring.

Rufus Wainwright - Live At The Artist's Den.

Progeny of Loudon Wainright and Kate McGarrigle - I've always found him fascinating and talented, but never invested in a full album experience. The recording here is quite good but the surround element is certainly lacking - no more so than any other typical live BD concert recording. Definitely and acquired taste and I'm still on the fence. Still, no doubt to the quality of talent assembled here - just whether you care or not.

Joe Bonamassa Live in Vienna. Another unbalanced 5.1 mix from the caveman Mr Shirley. Loud violin in left rear channel with nothing in right rear channel for most part. Horrendous. I hate mixes that do that, no balance. Fidelity is great; shame Shirley did another crappy mix.

Picked this up today. Check out the two pictures.

Attachments

• steve_martin.jpg
    steve_martin.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 244
  • sm_screen.jpg
    sm_screen.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 253
Metallica; Through the never. Annoying 5.1 mix. Kirk is in center channel or front right, Hetfield mostly in rear left. Stupid mixing choice. Should of been like the AC DC Blu rays and had Kirk in rear right, James in rear left to create balance. Bottom end sounds TREMENDOUS! Picture is stunning.

Attachments

• SDC11953.jpg
    SDC11953.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 225
Bricks Against The Glass : Special Edition - Lori Liebermann (Pure Audio Blu-ray).

Right off the bat, a few observations..

a.) This deserves some serious attention on here, imho, this disc was made for QQ folks I reckon,

b.) Sound quality is simply gorgeous (5.1 DTS HD MA @96/24),

c.) what a voice! impeccable lead vocals hard in the centre -- backing vocals mixed in the rears on some songs and in front Left & Right on others.. Stunning! such sumptuous yet subtle arrangements,

d.) This deserves consideration for a QQ Poll, or at least a thread of its own,

e.) The surround mix is absolutely superb!! It's not all fireworks and bells and whistles but its discrete and very immersive and engaging yet still subtle and suited to the music.

You have to check this out guys!! I am in awe.

This is the package itself, so if you're out and about you'll know what to look out for :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 168
Two arrived today...

Eric Clapton - Give Me Strength The '74/'75 Recordings
The Bach Sinfonia - ZELENKA: The Capriccios (n.b. 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0)

Right off the bat, a few observations..

a.) This deserves some serious attention on here, imho, this disc was made for QQ folks I reckon,

b.) Sound quality is simply gorgeous (5.1 DTS HD MA @96/24),

c.) what a voice! impeccable lead vocals hard in the centre -- backing vocals mixed in the rears on some songs and in front Left & Right on others.. Stunning! such sumptuous yet subtle arrangements,

d.) This deserves consideration for a QQ Poll, or at least a thread of its own,

e.) The surround mix is absolutely superb!! It's not all fireworks and bells and whistles but its discrete and very immersive and engaging yet still subtle and suited to the music.

You have to check this out guys!! I am in awe.

Surround Sound mix by Ronald Prent and Mastered by Darcy Proper..

two Names very familiar to Surround SACD aficionados I'm sure.. what a dream team!

MORE OF THE SAME PLEASE!!

Back