Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just been on the SuperDeluxe website, and some intriguing information,

"The exact wording of Sony’s press release is as follows (the bold is ours not theirs): “The new mixes, along with additional never before released content and brand new graphics, will be included in the 2014 reissue releases from Columbia/Legacy Recordings and Acoustic Sounds.” What is this never before released content? Notice the wording talks not about ‘audio’ but ‘content’…"

Amused to Death anniversary SACD and LP will be released on 23 September 2014.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...death-reissue-more-details-emerge/#more-27755

Well, today it's James Guthrie's lecture at Princeton, we may have more details tomorrow on pinkfloydz .com.
Really intrigued too about the never released audio. Taking into account the record length, whatever extras they come should be placed on a second sacd, I guess

Although I've said it before, Animals will be released in 5.1 when pigs fly.
maxwell_1.jpg

My 5 were:

1) Animals
2) Meddle
3) The wall
4) A saucerful of secrets
5) A momentary lapse of reason

To Final Cut I listened perhaps 3 times.
Imho it is a boring album.

Disclaimer : Feel free to ignore all that follows..... *Start* I know, I know, I know, but does anyone apart from me love this for the actual music/lyrics content ? I first heard this on 'compact cassette' and hated it. Just that Roger Waters whinging whiney voice coupled with big ( non Gilmour ) guitars. A few more plays and the cynicism bit hard. Voice no longer whinging but true..Guitars GOOOOOOOOOOOOD !. Damn it's good. Bought it on double vinyl from the local shop ( we're talking a while ago ) and OMG HUGE soundstage and immersive.... Reference vinyl... Sold the double vinyl to someone in Calfornia.... CD is good but not like the vinyl. .. but I don't have to get up every 25mins and turn it over..... BUT what I'm getting at I spose.... Because of the QSound it was always an inherent 'surround' album for me. Not a vague Stereo soundstage. Crisp and clean and at least 240 degrees. 'We were watching T.V., watching T.V.' . Anyone ?

Jem.

Last edited:
From the Acoustic Sound fb page, we will get different options.

Chad seems happy. And so does longtime Pink Floyd engineer James Guthrie, to his right. And so, we're imagining, is everyone who heard Guthrie introduce his just-completed 5.1 mix of Roger Waters' Amused To Death, Saturday, on the New Jersey campus of Princeton University, that was part of an interdisciplinary conference on the British supergroup. These new mixes will be released sometime in 2014 and will be available as high-resolution downloads via Acoustic Sounds and Super HiRez.com, SACD/DVD (details to come) via Analogue Productions and Sony/Legacy Recordings, and a vinyl release cut by Doug Sax at the Mastering Lab from the original tape masters. Pressing at Quality Record Pressings.

These new mixes will be released sometime in 2014 and will be available as high-resolution downloads

I've just cancelled my SACD order in hope that I can buy the 5.1 download from Acoustic Sounds or Super HiRez.com (I'm probably reading too much into this announcement above....)

I really wish they would consider releasing this in Blu-ray format. I'll probably keep my pre-order for the SACD until I see if they are offering a multi-channel download version. Then, cancel the SACD. Or, I may get both.

I have actually never heard this album before. I listened to it for the first time yesterday and I must say it didn't really click with me the first time. I get the feeling this one takes a while to grow on you, though. I'll definitely give it a few more listens.

It does sound really good, however. Lots of dynamic range. I think this could really be fantastic sounding in hires 5.1 if it is mixed well.

I just got my cd and listened to it for the first time. It will take time for some of it to grow on me and I definitely am not a big fan of Mr Waters politics but I don't penalize his music. I played this thru the Audionics enhance setting and the Q sound definitely makes a difference. This sounds very discrete like it already is a surround mix. At the beginning the barking dog does sound like it is coming from far away.
Quickly switching this back to a stereo setting collapses the soundfield and when you switch back to 4 channel everything jumps out at you. So I have to conclude that Q sound mixing is very beneficial but I am appreciating it in a 4 channel setting something it was not designed for.

The reason this is being released on SACD is because it is James Guthrie's preferred format and Chad seems to have the exclusive rights to the high resolution distribution from Acoustic Sounds. At the Princeton demo and lecture James indicated that there are plans for a 5.1 BD-audio release from Sony , but that it will most likely be at a lower resolution than the SACD. "Lower resolution" were his exact words.... my understanding of what was said is that this arises because Acoustic Sounds have the high resolution distribution deal, Sony have the regular formats for ordinary human ears... but then Sony also expressed interest in releasing the 5.1 mix so this is the compromise that makes the least number of important people miserable.

This is very upsetting and I don't agree with the logic behind it. Now some of us will have the chance to purchase ATD in the Blu-ray format but we are being penalized for our choice by getting the audio at a lower resolution (48K? Dolby Digital/AC3?).

No fault of James here but the way that this whole thing is being played out really stinks. This isn't a compromise, it's a hostage situation.

I've just cancelled by pre-order for the SACD as I refuse to support this type of marketing strategy.

And to add to the confusion we are getting conflicting info from various sources...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/roger-waters-51-0

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/record-score-day-princeton-record-exchange

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...death-reissue-more-details-emerge/#more-27755

I think that once it gets released on BD, it may very well be at 24/96 resolution, rather than 24/48, but it's possible. I'd be happy with 24/96 and feel that most of the older recordings are analog PCM anyway. Also, I feel SACD is a wasted format.

Back