Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for no one's help on figuring if this is a true multi-channel disc offering and not just Q-Sound upconvert. I'll have to assume that someone has read somewhere else that it is other than what I read on the Acoustic Sounds Website.

Sorry I can't help you :( I'm trying to find some definitive on this too but to no avail.. I can just cancel the SACD if it turns out to be upmixed as I have the Q Sound CD already which I rather like.. on second thoughts, the sonic upgrade may just be worth it :)

Let's hope it is true multi-channel. I placed my Amazon pre-order.(y)
Same here. And I added a pressure cooker part for $10 to get free shipping. And now they're sending out the pressure cooker part immediately with free shipping. Pretty cool.

It's hasn't blown up yet and it is over 35 years old made in Eau Claire, WI. USA

Thanks for no one's help on figuring if this is a true multi-channel disc offering and not just Q-Sound upconvert. I'll have to assume that someone has read somewhere else that it is other than what I read on the Acoustic Sounds Website.
Hi Jeffrey, I just asked the question over at the A Fleeting Glimpse forum. Luna65 over there is very close to James Guthrie, I am sure she will respond. Her earlier replies indicate this is a real 5.1 mix.

Keep you posted.

Last edited:
I may be one of only a handful that like The Final Cut more than The Wall.

Final Cut is Snood's fave Pink album.........love the other stuff but this album was big with my friends and I back in the day.

Hi Jeffrey, I just asked the question over at the A Fleeting Glimpse forum. Luna65 over there is very close to James Guthrie, I am sure she will respond. Her earlier replies indicate this is a real 5.1 mix.

Keep you posted.
and this is her answer to the question if this is the real deal. Actually Rontoon answered first

This is the real deal. James would never "fake" anything like this or do a half-assed job.

after which Luna65 said

I can verify that James spent the better part of last year on this, first going to London in March to look through the master reels and put everything together, make sure he had every piece of tape, and then the work occurred over the rest of the year. Roger approved the mix in February, I believe, and it was mastered just the week before last.

Sounds good to me.

I may be one of only a handful that like The Final Cut more than The Wall.

TFC was just outstanding...I don't think there is any other album that is comes off so heart-wrenchingly vulnerable..every note, every sound, forever etched in my being

I wonder if they ever plan on surround sounding "The Wall".:)

From an interview with JG and Chad Kassem in December 2011

Is Pink Floyd's The Wall Immersion edition going to have a 5.1 Surround Mix?

James: My understanding is that EMI plan to stick to their release schedule for the 'Why Pink Floyd?' campaign, which means there wouldn't be time to include a 5.1 mix in 'The Wall' Immersion Box. I will be doing a 5.1 mix of The Wall for release on SACD, but we don't have a planned release date for that yet. The original multitrack tapes are in pretty bad shape, so the project will take some time. I'm currently working on a Blu-ray release of 'The Wall' Movie.
link here, http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/album...review-and-interviews-including-james-gu.html

Things move very slowly in Floyd land, so it might take another couple of years.

I don't understand why they continue to release in the SACD format when it is outdated. Three things come to mind.

1) What I understand is at some point, DSD becomes PCM, and then back again to DSD.:mad:@:
2) DSD has graduated to a higher level. We now have gone from DSD64 to DSD128 and above in recording and downloads.
3) Most people that listen to a high resolution music format, listen through their home entertainment system in stereo and surround sound. With that in mind, most listen with an AVR or Pre-Pro that has room correction built in. When room correction is used, it takes that DSD signal and converts it to PCM.

This is why we need our music in two ways. The Blu-ray format and PCM Hi-Res downloads.

3) Most people that listen to a high resolution music format, listen through their home entertainment system in stereo and surround sound. With that in mind, most listen with an AVR or Pre-Pro that has room correction built in. When room correction is used, it takes that DSD signal and converts it to PCM.

I should have added to the above that some of the room correction software used reduce the resolution down to 24/48 too because of lack of horsepower to properly implement the higher resolution formats.

TFC was just outstanding...I don't think there is any other album that is comes off so heart-wrenchingly vulnerable..every note, every sound, forever etched in my being

Whether you consider it a PF album or a Waters solo album - Criminally underrated ! The subtlety, nuance and raw emotion of this album is unbelievable.

"The Gunner's Dream" & "The Final Cut": The combination of music , sound effects, lyrics & vocals create of aural picture that is simply a piece of art. So much depth.

This release - above all others, including The Wall - screams for surround.
Nearly a perfect album ( "Not Now John" just throws it all off near the end).

If I could commission the 5.1 left to go in the Floyd family, here is my top 5:

1) Final Cut
2) Animals
3) Radio Kaos
4) About Face
5) A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

I don't understand why they continue to release in the SACD format when it is outdated. Three things come to mind.

1) What I understand is at some point, DSD becomes PCM, and then back again to DSD.:mad:@:
2) DSD has graduated to a higher level. We now have gone from DSD64 to DSD128 and above in recording and downloads.

This is why we need our music in two ways. The Blu-ray format and PCM Hi-Res downloads.

I'm glad that we see this one in 5.1 so for me every hi-rez format is welcome. :)

Whether you consider it a PF album or a Waters solo album - Criminally underrated ! The subtlety, nuance and raw emotion of this album is unbelievable.

"The Gunner's Dream" & "The Final Cut": The combination of music , sound effects, lyrics & vocals create of aural picture that is simply a piece of art. So much depth.

This release - above all others, including The Wall - screams for surround.
Nearly a perfect album ( "Not Now John" just throws it all off near the end).

If I could commission the 5.1 left to go in the Floyd family, here is my top 5:

1) Final Cut
2) Animals
3) Radio Kaos
4) About Face
5) A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

My 5 were:

1) Animals
2) Meddle
3) The wall
4) A saucerful of secrets
5) A momentary lapse of reason

To Final Cut I listened perhaps 3 times.
Imho it is a boring album.

Back