ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for everyone who got burned by this. Coincidentally I cancelled by order for the 3-disc set and bought the box after the great reviews started coming in. A day after I receive a shipment notice all Hell breaks loose. Looks like I finally got lucky for once.

E mail sent-describing our dislike for sticking 5.1 discs in costly sets we do not want! And that they would sell MORE in a less expensive offer. I wanted this, but will pass. The last big buy for me was the Van Morrison set of the SAME shit x 5 to get a 5.1 disc!
I will not support this nonsense further!

I've also sent a tweet to their twitter accounts, @keith_n_emerson, @elp_carl, @GregLakeWebsite. I'd like to try to get the word to them personally that we're pissed.

So, as I'm a little confused at this point, I see these three digital choices on the MerchNow site

//

Listed under 'BUNDLES':

two sets @ $55 each (they are the same except one includes a t-shirt for women, the other a t-shirt for men)
http://elp.merchnow.com/products/172183/brain-salad-surgery-40th-womens-bundle
http://elp.merchnow.com/products/172139/brain-salad-surgery-40th-ultimate-bundle
Now celebrating its’ 40th Anniversary, this classic album has been full restored and reissued as a LIMITED EDITION, three disc Deluxe Edition. The first disc containing a remastered version of the original album, the second a disc of alternative mixes and rarities, and the third, a DVD Audio surround sound disc produced by Jakko Jakszyk.

Includes
• Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition CD
• Brain Salad Surgery 180 gram vinyl in reproduction or original package
• Exclusive Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary Maze T-Shirt - printed on American Apparel cotton

1 set @ $33
http://elp.merchnow.com/products/172138/brain-salad-surgery-40th-music-bundle
Now celebrating its’ 40th Anniversary, this classic album has been full restored and reissued as a LIMITED EDITION, three disc Deluxe Edition. The first disc containing a remastered version of the original album, the second a disc of alternative mixes and rarities, and the third, a DVD Audio surround sound disc produced by Jakko Jakszyk.

Includes

Listed under 'CDS'

1 set @ $17
http://elp.merchnow.com/products/166324/brain-salad-surgery-40th-anniversary-cddvd
Super Sonic Brain Salad Surgery DVD-A
Featuring the original mix remastered & new 2014 stereo mix
Both in MLB Lossless 24/96 & LPCM 24/96
Flac Files are also included

//

I understand from this that the $17 will have no 5.1 remix. And of course no LP (or t-shirts!).

Neil Wilkes says only the 'Box set' has the 5.1 remix

It appears the $55 and $33 sets differ only in the inclusion of a t-shirt in the $55 sets. Can I assume then that the $55 and $33 sets both include the 5.1 mix?

The only thing I would assume is that they haven't bothered to update the descriptions of the T-Shirt bundles and take out the "surround sound disc".

The sad part is that we are all ready to spend "reasonable" money on a 5.1 release, but the labels have decided to restrict their availability to the more expensive package, which will eventually lead to what killed the music industry as we knew it in the first place.

Clearly they have overlooked that, or are still working on updating the site. At this point it's safe to say Neil is right, and anything that lists a 3 disc edition including 5.1 is outdated information. I've fired off an email to merch now pointing this out, so that will probably get updated soon.

email from MerchNow

Dear Valued Customer,

First and foremost thank you for your purchase of the Emerson Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary Edition.

We received several requests for information on the sound mix for DVD-A. We checked with the record label yesterday and received information we passed along to those who had requested. We spoke with the record label a second time today about this issue and were just informed that the original information we were given was incorrect and that this item will NOT include the 5.1 surround sound mix.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused, the information provided is directly from the record label themselves.

If you have any questions, or need to update your address/information on the order.
Please email us at [email protected] with your order number & information regarding the changes you need made.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

-Merchnow Staff

Ah, I see I missed this one under 'CDS'

1 set @ $125
http://elp.merchnow.com/products/17...lmer-brain-salad-surgery-super-deluxe-box-set
Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Brain Salad Surgery (Super Deluxe Box Set)
Import from UK

FULL TRACKLISTING (SUPER DELUXE EDITION BOX SET)
1. original album remastered (CD)
2. alternate album (CD)
3. new stereo versions (CD)
4. super sonic audio (DVDA)
5. extra brain salad – documentary/photo gallery (DVD)
6. 180gm LP original album remastered
Replica poster
20 page 12x12” booklet
Hardcover slipcase and vinyl gatefold

So, only *this* one has the 5.1 mix? Well, if so, no, I don't think I'll be buying that. This 'you only get the surround mix on the Immersion Set' nonsense has to stop.

I just followed Jon's lead and ordered the deluxe box from Amazon UK. I'd already decided on getting it prior to this debacle.

The label is clearly making a mistake; it will be interesting to see if the mass cancellations have any effect and also if they pressed up way too many 3 disc sets based on pre-orders.

The "mass cancellation" is probably 10 or 20 people from this forum. There will probably be another round of 20 or 30 returns from people that expected the 5.1 and actually notice that they didn't get it. Depending on the margins, if say 1 out of the 5 people that cancel/return the 3-disc set buy the deluxe box to get the 5.1 mix, they probably come out ahead financially.

Hard to think that they will care.

The sad part is that we are all ready to spend "reasonable" money on a 5.1 release, but the labels have decided to restrict their availability to the more expensive package, which will eventually lead to what killed the music industry as we knew it in the first place.

Your assessment is right on the mark, Jon. I would have paid up to $40 or so for the remastered 5.1 BSS release. I canceled my pre-order much like everyone else here. Sad.....

The "mass cancellation" is probably 10 or 20 people from this forum. There will probably be another round of 20 or 30 returns from people that expected the 5.1 and actually notice that they didn't get it. Depending on the margins, if say 1 out of the 5 people that cancel/return the 3-disc set buy the deluxe box to get the 5.1 mix, they probably come out ahead financially.

Hard to think that they will care.

I think the backlash will be much more.........just got this reply to an email I sent

I was forwarded your below email from MerchNow. There was no intentional misrepresentation of the product by either MerchNow or Razor and Tie. There was a complete misunderstanding of what we were getting in terms of masters. It was finally straightened out this morning, updates have been made to the description and an email went out to people who pre-ordered about the mix-up. The 3CD version does not have the surround sound mixes, only the Super Deluxe Version.

Your order has been cancelled per your request. Sorry for the confusion

Bob Hoch
Razor and Tie Entertainment
Senior Director, Marketing

Then who misrepresented it? I understand the store didn't (although still, ELP's official store should know what their merchandise is). But, the label is putting out the product. The label is putting together the packages. The label is sending the data out to the stores.....for the label to pass the blame on to.......I dunno what or who....is just plain grade A bullshit!

Please share this Bob Hoch's email address, I think we need to send him some more messages.

"Hell hath no fury a 5.1 audiophile scorned !"

However, as for Razor & Tie, I am sure they have no control whatsoever over this. They are merely the distribution company for this UK originated product, and they were told one thing and received another. I don't think this is a case of the "Record Company" in the US changing its mind and deleting the 5.1. They resell what they get, and they were told, like everyone else, the the DVD would be 5.1, and now it won't.

In this case, I would not blame them. They publicized what they were given.

What they really should be doing in this instance is just doing a 3 CD set with the new stereo mix as the 3rd CD, cause it's really pointless to be doing a DVD-A/V without a 5.1 surround mix included…

This is almost as bad as that damn Caravan set where Steven Wilson's stereo and surround mixes were relegated to only the DVD with Dullby audio quality.
I'd love to punch the idiots at Universal who put that set together…

This whole debacle really makes me worry about the future release of the "Trilogy" remix. I would gladly buy a similar super deluxe set like this one if it had the same content, but if they are only going to do a 3-disc set for "Trilogy", it had better be like the "ELP" and "Tarkus" sets where the new stereo mixes were on CD and DVD-A, and the DVD-A actually had a surround mix on it…

Also some new tweets related to "Trilogy" (nothing that important but still somewhat interesting…)

https://twitter.com/TheSnazzyJazzyJ/status/466198325830909952

So, as I'm a little confused at this point, I see these three digital choices on the MerchNow site

//
Listed under 'BUNDLES'
two sets @ $55 each (they are the same except one includes a t-shirt for women, the other a t-shirt for men)

(snip)

AAAAAANNNNNNDD.....MerchNow's still claiming a surround mix for the $55 and $33 sets

Includes

(snip)

AAAAAANNNNNNDD.....MerchNow's still claiming a surround mix for the $55 and $33 sets

???? Don't even care at this point. I'm in the cancellation club to stay, but springing for the UK box.

Back