ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole debacle really makes me worry about the future release of the "Trilogy" remix. I would gladly buy a similar super deluxe set like this one if it had the same content, but if they are only going to do a 3-disc set for "Trilogy", it had better be like the "ELP" and "Tarkus" sets where the new stereo mixes were on CD and DVD-A, and the DVD-A actually had a surround mix on it…

Also some new tweets related to "Trilogy" (nothing that important but still somewhat interesting…)

https://twitter.com/TheSnazzyJazzyJ/status/466198325830909952

I'm not that worried about Trilogy actually. I think BSS is considered to be a "landmark" album and hence got the super-deluxe treatment. If I were to guess Trilogy will go back to how the first two were done, especially if they get a clear message from the buyers about how they botched up the BSS packages. I know - since when have record companies etc ever learned from their mistakes?

Add me to the cancelled group. I do not care for another 2ch mix of this release. I have the first 5.1 ch version so I guess I will stick with it.

Not that I really care as I've cancelled my order...but what I want to know is the Stereo DVD in the 3 disc set really a DVD-A/V or just a DVD-V....

Or put it another way - has Sony had to cough up for a separate authoring of a DVD-A from Neil???? :mad:@: Crazy...

I've reluctantly ordered the box set from Amazon UK. :mad:

I just hope that Trilogy comes out, but not in a uber super duper deluxe box!!...

(snip)

AAAAAANNNNNNDD.....MerchNow's still claiming a surround mix for the $55 and $33 sets

No, I asked about the $33 bundle and was told it didn't include the 5.1 mix. Looks like they've now updated their info for the bundles too.

I'm not that worried about Trilogy actually. I think BSS is considered to be a "landmark" album and hence got the super-deluxe treatment. If I were to guess Trilogy will go back to how the first two were done, especially if they get a clear message from the buyers about how they botched up the BSS packages. I know - since when have record companies etc ever learned from their mistakes?

I hope you are right but I am very worried about Trilogy. Time & Time again we have seen record company greed/screw ups lead to cancellations of projects when customers are unhappy. That is just what I have seen happen. The record company gets all pissy and then the executives decide the "time isn't right" and they wait for some 40th anniversary date 15 years in the future.

We will see. This is completely out of our control, but the horrible handling of BSS does not bode well for the next release. But yes, Trilogy would not sell for as much as BSS would sell for.

@The Group:

We ALL have lost in this ELP - BSS debacle. I bought the box but have been very unhappy with it. I think the box set(design) is basically junk, and is not worth the 90.00 I paid. The 5.1 mess on KE9 3rd impression is unforgivable and for me, I find it now unplayable. I am SO phookin happy I have the original BSS DVD-Audio to fall back on.

I say Sony ruined this thing completely.

I am praying that we still get Jakko's 5.1 remix and that the Trilogy 5.1 remix is revisited before its sold to make sure there are no problems like the new 5.1 BSS remix.

I am hoping Sony will issue a replacement DVD-A for the 5.1 BSS. The flaw is very bad on KE9 3rd Impression.

I apologize the the group for including no DennisMoore humor in this post, but there is nothing even remotely entertaining about how Sony is handling this BSS release. It is a complete bomb/disaster/screw-up.

Aqualung cost a fortune but at least had a breath-taking high resolution 5.1 mix... geesh , what a steaming pile of $hit this ELP - BSS is.

I cancelled my Merch Now order, as well. Whoever is responsible doesn't matter as much to me (although getting to the bottom would be nice). What does matter is how can we get the companies to see that if surround mixes are reasonably priced we WILL purchase them and there certainly is more of a market than they may think. I too, am so weary of purchasing the $100 plus boxes!

Then who misrepresented it? I understand the store didn't (although still, ELP's official store should know what their merchandise is). But, the label is putting out the product. The label is putting together the packages. The label is sending the data out to the stores.....for the label to pass the blame on to.......I dunno what or who....is just plain grade A bullshit!

Please share this Bob Hoch's email address, I think we need to send him some more messages.

For Your Pleasure...........

[email protected]

I just sent him a lil more of my mind.....in a nice way of course - oK maybe not so nice - here it is

--------------------------------

Hi Mr Hoch,

Regardless of who is at fault, this is a giant blunder indeed. The highest form of miscommunication between everyone and we the consumers and fans get the shaft once again.

On top of that, the record companies continually fail to see the awesome market of 5.1 to the masses. With Blu Ray and 5.1 theatre players being common place now.........you guys still keep dropping the ball on marketing.

Why keep putting 5.1 blu ray mixes only in the super deluxe editions that are out of reach for most people? If the price is not out of reach, then it is that we don't want all the schlop that goes along with the box sets just to get the 5.1 mix we want.

For god sakes, just give us an option to acquire the 5.1. Hell, most of us would have gladly paid 30 or 40 dollars alone for the 5.1 mix on blu ray or dvd-a alone. How do you guys still not get that?

I hope you enjoy the many cancellations and future returns you get.

Now since I got a giant shaft job on the marketing and advertising of this blunder set, how bout a giant discount on the super deluxe over priced gotta get extra schlop to get the 5.1 box? I might consider it then.

I have now also cancelled the box.
I like the old DVD-A and Mr. Moore is very unhappy with the new box.
So I keep my money and invest it in the Pink Floyd set, because there is no 5.1 mix already.

Thanks for your review, Dennis ;).

I listened to the old BSS dvda yesterday in its entirety. I am still very much impressed with the "old" mix. I'm also thankful to own this copy. My money will stay put for now.

It really saddens me how many people that are canceling the 3-disc version are also being upsold to the deluxe box. That really shows them.... that they can keep shafting us by holding the 5.1 mix hostage in the $100+ packages.

I swear if a significant percentage of the people that cancel buy the big box instead it will prove to them that their strategy is right and things will keep going this way.

It really saddens me how many people that are canceling the 3-disc version are also being upsold to the deluxe box. That really shows them.... that they can keep shafting us by holding the 5.1 mix hostage in the $100+ packages.

I swear if a significant percentage of the people that cancel buy the big box instead it will prove to them that their strategy is right and things will keep going this way.

Agree with you here. I cancelled my 3-disc preorder at Amazon UK. I did actually have the super deluxe box in my shopping cart yesterday and I almost bought it, but I thought that this was actually what they (i.e., someone - the record company, ELP management, it doesn't really matter) want us to do. In the end, I deleted it from my cart! I'll somehow survive without it.

Order cancelled with a nasty note to merchnow to pass on to whoever is responsible. Don't know whether the band is responsible or not, but I think the buck stops with them. No more ELP purchases for me - EVER.

Order cancelled with a nasty note to merchnow to pass on to whoever is responsible. Don't know whether the band is responsible or not, but I think the buck stops with them. No more ELP purchases for me - EVER.
I was thinking the same thing. Screw the greedy losers.

I would like to know whether it was the record company or the band and I would not be surpised if it was either. Really, we have fed both organisations for most of our lives and they have the audacity to attempt to bleed us dry once again. I really want to know who is specifically responsible for this arrogant display of biting the hand that feeds them. I would like to think that we could campaign these fools to deliver a reasonable outcome? Either way, we should 'out' the greedy bastard(s) responsible and shame them as best we can on social media in the least. Else, I'm afraid I will be moving into the camp of boycotting the purchase of anything EL&P ever again.

I just cancelled my order too at Burning Shed. I sent a message asking for 5.1 releases without deluxe packages or stereo discs as I probably already have them on vinyl or wouldn't play them anyways. I also said that if this could be considered, that it might make me more likely to make purchases, especially for titles I have already bought in 2.0 in the past. I would like the 5.1, but I don't know if my budget can handle it right now.

This is so stupid. I can't believe this crap. I am canceling my order with MercNow. NOT getting the box either. I can't afford it and I had no intention on getting it from day 1. I do have the original DVD-A and will continue to enjoy it going forward. Like most of you, I do hope Trilogy will prove to be a better purchasing experience.

I just sent MechNow an email asking about the $33 bundle that still advertises that it includes the 5.1 DVD-A

I just sent MechNow an email asking about the $33 bundle that still advertises that it includes the 5.1 DVD-A

I did the same and also on the 50..........they said they corrected the info, but so far only the 17 dollar version has been changed if you read the descriptions - Pink, Let us know if you get a reply and I will also let you guys know.

I would like to know whether it was the record company or the band and I would not be surpised if it was either. Really, we have fed both organisations for most of our lives and they have the audacity to attempt to bleed us dry once again......

I find it interesting that they actually made two separate dvd-audio disks. One with the surround and the other with the surround removed. They went through some extra effort doing that.

No, I asked about the $33 bundle and was told it didn't include the 5.1 mix. Looks like they've now updated their info for the bundles too.

Nope. Even with refreshed cache, or a different browser, it says

http://elp.merchnow.com/products/172139/brain-salad-surgery-40th-ultimate-bundle

PLEASE NOTE: This is a presale item set to ship appx 6.17.14 (UPDATED)

Now celebrating its’ 40th Anniversary, this classic album has been full restored and reissued as a LIMITED EDITION, three disc Deluxe Edition. The first disc containing a remastered version of the original album, the second a disc of alternative mixes and rarities, and the third, a DVD Audio surround sound disc produced by Jakko Jakszyk.

Includes
• Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition CD
• Brain Salad Surgery 180 gram vinyl in reproduction or original package
• Exclusive Brain Salad Surgery 40th Anniversary Maze T-Shirt - printed on American Apparel cotton

Back