ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon are so nice:

Message From Customer Service
Hello,

I do understand your concern. We certainly don't want our customers to face any sort of inconvenience. I'll definitely look into this for you.

I've checked and confirmed that Disc 3 contains the 5.1 mixes of the original album.

However if you find that the item is not up to your satisfaction on receiving it please return it for a full refund including the shipping cost.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-mi?c=wevqfcqr3646249361&q=o2r

If you still have any concern, please feel free to contact us at any time. We are always glad to help you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?ie=UTF8&skip=tr...

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Sreejesh H.

Amazon are so nice:

Message From Customer Service
Hello,

I do understand your concern. We certainly don't want our customers to face any sort of inconvenience. I'll definitely look into this for you.

I've checked and confirmed that Disc 3 contains the 5.1 mixes of the original album.

However if you find that the item is not up to your satisfaction on receiving it please return it for a full refund including the shipping cost.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-mi?c=wevqfcqr3646249361&q=o2r

If you still have any concern, please feel free to contact us at any time. We are always glad to help you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?ie=UTF8&skip=tr...

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,
Sreejesh H.

So nice and possibly so wrong!

After I vowed that these jerks would not get my money for the super duper deluxe box set, I note that Amazon UK has dropped the price by GBP4, making the delivered price to the US (after subtracting the VAT) an almost reasonable $77. What to do?!

After I vowed that these jerks would not get my money for the super duper deluxe box set, I note that Amazon UK has dropped the price by GBP4, making the delivered price to the US (after subtracting the VAT) an almost reasonable $77. What to do?!
Life's short. Whatever makes you happy.

Recieved my reply from MerchNow

Hello,

I do apologize for any confusion, it took our team a little while to get all of those descriptions changed. The CD in the $33 bundle is the same as the $17 CD by itself and will not have that 5.1 surround mix on it. Did you want to cancel your current order?

I replied yes and explained the whole purpose of the purchase was for the 5.1 mix and that I could not afford the big box the 5.1 mix was offered in.

They just changed the $33 bundle listing as well to read the third disc is the same as the $17 disc set.

It will piss me off to no end if they actually screw up and the 5.1 IS in the $17 set. I see Amazon make these kind of mistakes all the time and I wouldn't put it past anyone else to make the same blunders.

If we want to send a message, we should boycott this release (and Division Bell for that matter) completely.

I already have and made it quite clear to all that I don't want Vinyl and Digital in the same box any more.

if that happens Its a good bye from me. I have plenty of music to listen too already much as I love many bands Pink Floyd are one of my top 3 bands mixed format boxes are a no by for me.

Sad thing is on the ELP side I was happy to buy a second 5.1 DVDA in a 3 disc set but don't want the big box (just not that big a fan)

Pink Floyds box is just overpriced because of the Vinyl, and again would have rebought the album with a 5.1 disc, even though there is nothing in the way of new music in the box (demos and outtakes).

I already have and made it quite clear to all that I don't want Vinyl and Digital in the same box any more.

I agree completely. I don't mind if vinyl is an offered option, but I don't like feeling like I am hanging from my short hairs to get a 5.1 mix. I like vinyl, but have become a surround junkie, and that ain't gonna happen on vinyl. Besides, now that I have an Oppo, digital isn't so bad now. I may spring for the box, but only for the 5.1 and the book that sounds cool. I bought Slowhand and only play the DVD. I tried the vinyl once and cringed the whole way through because the vinyl came without an inner sleeve and it had gooey dots on it. So much for a quality 2.0 pressing!

I'll try to find some time in the afternoon to play my Dvd-a in 5.1. Yesterday I listened to the MLP stereo layer and the bass sounds OK.
For those complaining: is the issue in karn evil pt 3 also present in DTS?

I need to check that out. It would be a wonderful surprise if the 5.1 DTS was ok.

@Group: The KE9 3rd Impression bass problem isn't just a "volume" issue like RT has noted. It is also the processing & eq which are all wrong. At first the bass has super distortion which cuts through the mix like a rusty knife through a fine oil canvas painting. Then... when the bass changes its timber to the "normal" sound, it has a flat and dry sound to it, like it was a practice take. And yes it is WAY too prominent in the mix and ruins all the great keyboard work & vocals.

We all have different "ears" for sure, but this problem is way over the top. Non owners here have a problem, the only way to confirm or deny this is for you to pay out the ass for the box set. If you love it like Bob Romano, then you are very lucky I should think. But like I said, this 5.1 remix will be very controversial at the least.

Also....

Where are all the reviews from the "testers"? The box set is on the market already. Where is all the tester's input that we always get from the other 5.1 remixes?

Last edited:
I need to check that out. It would be a wonderful surprise if the 5.1 DTS was ok.

@Group: The KE9 3rd Impression bass ploblem isn't just a "volume" issue like RT has noted. It is also the processing & eq which are all wrong. At first the bass has super distortion which cuts through the mix like a rusty knife through a fine oil canvas painting. Then... when the bass changes its timber to the "normal" sound, it has a flat and dry sound to it, like it was a practice take. And yes it is WAY too prominent in the mix and ruins all the great keyboard work & vocals.

We all have different "ears" for sure, but this problem is way over the top. Non owners here have a problem, the only way to confirm or deny this is for you to pay out the ass for the box set. If you love it like Bob Romano, then you are very lucky I should think. But like I said, this 5.1 remix will be very controversial at the least.

Also....

Where are all the reviews from the "testers"? The box set is on the market already. Where is all the tester's input that we always get from the other 5.1 remixes?

First impression after 2 minutes listen to the 5.1: I agree that the bass sounds weird and too prominent in the mix, but I cannot say I dislike it that much. But as I said, just listened to the first 3 minutes of KE pt3. Bad news is that the DTS stream sound exactly the same.
I still have to work and take care of my child, so don't think I'll have any more time for a better listen today :(

I wonder if something like a channel swap with the center and lfe for the track happened at some point. Has anyone extracted the audio and checked out the individual channels?

I agree completely. I don't mind if vinyl is an offered option, but I don't like feeling like I am hanging from my short hairs to get a 5.1 mix. I like vinyl, but have become a surround junkie, and that ain't gonna happen on vinyl. Besides, now that I have an Oppo, digital isn't so bad now. I may spring for the box, but only for the 5.1 and the book that sounds cool. I bought Slowhand and only play the DVD. I tried the vinyl once and cringed the whole way through because the vinyl came without an inner sleeve and it had gooey dots on it. So much for a quality 2.0 pressing!

Fwiw, the old Slowhand Hybrid SACD is still available for RRP in quite a few places.. Slowhand was a slow seller on SACD back in the day, it seems :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 177
I saw the Slowhand box at Costco and my partners' wallet had a fast emission:rolleyes:. I was just excited to get a classic in 5.1 and replace the LP I wore out long ago. My partners' wallet wasn't so fast for Peter Gabriel's So box.

I saw the Slowhand box at Costco and my partners' wallet had a fast emission:rolleyes:. I was just excited to get a classic in 5.1 and replace the LP I wore out long ago. My partners' wallet wasn't so fast for Peter Gabriel's So box.

ah well, just one of those rare situations where we could avoid a big old stupid box stuffed full of.. well, stuff.. and get a standalone Hi-Res surround disc! :D

At least there were no marbles or scarves! I am now waiting for payday to buy the old DVD-A of BSS. Fredblue, you are likely to be the death of my wallet!:banana:

I wonder if something like a channel swap with the center and lfe for the track happened at some point. Has anyone extracted the audio and checked out the individual channels?

That will not help. I already extracted and soloed each channel. That bass is everywhere!! (And there really isn't much information at all in the LFE channel)

This is clearly a mistake, and I'm going to get to the bottom of this somehow…

Also Dennis, there's nothing wrong with the tone, EQ, etc of the bass as this is exactly how it sounded in the original stereo mix. You just didn't notice it as much because it was tucked further back in the mix where it belonged...

Nothing quite that simple (though it looks like the center volume could be reduced a bit). Here's the extraction:

Attachments

• KE93rd.jpg
    KE93rd.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 273
outtakes from the photo sessions for classic albums The Hot Seat and Love Beach,

I think this one is absolutely priceless.

If Love Beach and Hot Seat are classic albums, I eagerly await Super Deluxe Boxsets from these two ! I'd even pay good money to have 5.1, outtakes (my God, outtakes from Hot Seat !!!!! how bad can it get ?) and above all... liner notes !

Oh yes..... THAT would be worth £80 :)

Back