The Who: Quadrophenia - Live in London Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice indeed.

Not loud, especially if you choose DTS HD MA as it's encoded -4 dB relative to the (needless imho) Dial.Norm boost of the Dolby True HD.

The HFPA Stereo's mastered at lower level than the 5.1 and is similarly very nice.

fwiw, I wouldn't malign Jon Astley too much, when the brief isn't to compress or maximise, he's pretty good.. he mastered the "Who's Next" SHM-SACD, the Platinum SHM-CD of which (with the same 2010 DSD transfer) I just got and after one listen that strikes me as pretty damn good (and I have the SH-mastered MCA CD; 37217, another MCA CD mastered by someone else, the W.G Polydor CD; 813651-2.. and it holds its own against all of those) The Who are one of my all-time faves, alongside EJ, Bowie, Queen, VH.. so it's not like I'm just causally buying this, its important to me that Universal got it right -- and for once I think to say they did would be an understatement.

Hey fredblue, so of all your Who's Next recordings do you have a favorite/recommendation? Thanks

and the Amazon auto rip of the original album BR is the live concert-very nice bonus

Thanks for the heads up, you're right! What a nice bonus.

Also, I pre-ordered the Gentle Giant The Power and the Glory Blu-ray release, and lo and behold, it let me download MP3 tracks before the release. I did not know this band or this album, and bought it on a lark. Now that I've heard it, I made a wise purchase. Based on the recommendations from QQ, I need to revisit the Jethro Tull surround releases that I unwisely passed on.

Hey fredblue, so of all your Who's Next recordings do you have a favorite/recommendation? Thanks

good question.. I'd have to listen to the latest SHM version from Japan some more before committing but it could well be that newest SHM, it sounds terrific.

I have a soft spot for the old West German Polydor CD (though it's pretty unfaithful to the original, with fade ups on a couple of tracks and some crazy EQ going on at times, I don't know what the source for that disc was but its kinda strange and pretty ballsy!) and I do rate Steve Hoffman's version on MCA CD it really is very good indeed.. even the Deluxe Edition of 10+ years ago is ok.. I'll do a 3-way shootout next weekend of W.G CD Vs. MCA SH CD Vs. 2013 SHM CD :)

good question.. I'd have to listen to the latest SHM version from Japan some more before committing but it could well be that newest SHM, it sounds terrific.

I have a soft spot for the old West German Polydor CD (though it's pretty unfaithful to the original, with fade ups on a couple of tracks and some crazy EQ going on at times, I don't know what the source for that disc was but its kinda strange and pretty ballsy!) and I do rate Steve Hoffman's version on MCA CD it really is very good indeed.. even the Deluxe Edition of 10+ years ago is ok.. I'll do a 3-way shootout next weekend of W.G CD Vs. MCA SH CD Vs. 2013 SHM CD :)

Sir Adam (FRED) can you ask your friend paul sinclair if he can find out why there have been no new blu ray announcements on the HFPA facebook page since april

Just noticed Amazon US release date is July 8th...Also all the re-sellers have disappeared???

Who Quad HFPA.JPG

Oh gawd.. :mad:@: ..might be like the GYBR BD-A where anyone who wants it anytime soon will have to import it?

I just ordered Quad and Tommy blu-rays from Amazon UK...worked out to be about 22usd each. As usual they gave it a 2 week delivery window. But from past experience I should have them by early nest week.

The pure audio blu ray is a really great one.
I heard it twice :).
It makes me hope that Universal will do it better in the future.
We will see when Bob Marley's Legend will arrive.

For Quadrophenia I can give a 9.
A lot of discrete sounds. :)

Interesting fact. I've only heard Quadrophenia once (mid 80's) and remember enjoying it very much. Besides "Who's Next" and "Who Are you", I never owned other Who albums because I was not that 'in' to them back in the day. I only started collecting and listening to their catalog in the past few years. Though, I did own the Roger Daltrey DVD "A Celebration" that was released in 1998 and very much enjoyed that concert. Plus, I have the DVD of Pete Townsend "Music From Lifehouse". So far, I have acquired and listened to the CD's of "Tommy", "Who Are You", "Live At Leeds", The Ultimate Collection, "The Who Sell Out", "The Who By Numbers" and "Face Dances". Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to watching the concert in a few hours and I'll be even more excited when the original album in 5.1 finally arrives. btw, I always liked Pete Townsend and "Empty Glass" is one of my all time favorites. Also, I have "Scoop" and "Gold" but need to acquire his other works.

Perpendicular, if you like Townshend you should definitely check out the 5.1 version of Rough Mix, the album he did with Ronnie Laine. Gets pretty good ratings here at QQ: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=595&do=showresults

Perpendicular, if you like Townshend you should definitely check out the 5.1 version of Rough Mix, the album he did with Ronnie Laine. Gets pretty good ratings here at QQ: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=595&do=showresults

Unfortunately, I looked for it over on Amazon and found the DualDisc for $125. :yikes

I had a chance to watch this disc and during the second half, the concert brought tears to my eyes several times. It brought back a lot of memories throughout my lifetime. I did not realize what a tremendous bass player John Entwhistle was. It was fitting for the group to pay tribute to both him and Keith Moon. I wonder what concert(s) those clips were taken from? I enjoyed this concert immensely and really liked how it was done even though it was a bit too much on the visuals for repeated viewings. I really enjoyed the drummer too and felt he did a great job. I wished they would have showed his playing but, I guess, it was not about him. I have not watched the bonus footage yet.

Hi, did anyone living in Europe buy the blu-ray from UMG store? Mine was dispatched last Tuesday and nothing received yet. There's a tracking number in the dispatch email but I don't know which carrier company they use. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Hi, did anyone living in Europe buy the blu-ray from UMG store? Mine was dispatched last Tuesday and nothing received yet. There's a tracking number in the dispatch email but I don't know which carrier company they use. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Still waiting on mine... It was shipped on the 10th,

I was wondering about the tracking also....

Still waiting on mine... It was shipped on the 10th,

I was wondering about the tracking also....

Below the answer from UMG support:
Moving forward, your order was shipped, in accordance with your preference, using a worldwide standard service from the UK with Spring Global & your national postal service and without a tracking number on the 10th June 2014. These orders usually take about 6-10 days and cannot be tracked. However, on occasion they can take up to 30. The 30th day in this scenario is the 10th July 2014.

Wonder when I'll be receiving it...

My Disc has a problem. Often Disc error with many noise "Chrrrrrrr". Only at 4th try it started. Shit. I will send it back to amazon.

My Disc has a problem. Often Disc error with many noise "Chrrrrrrr". Only at 4th try it started. Shit. I will send it back to amazon.

DAMMIT! :(

that seems weird, as I've got the Pure Audio disc 2 ways now, once in the Live box set and one standalone single disc (different label printing, no idea if they're the same matrix and pressed in same plant) and they both play flawlessly (all 3 mixes). What Blu-ray player are you using? Firmware all up to date? I'd try troubleshooting before sending it back :)

Back