HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION LIVE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION LIVE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new live album and concert film from Porcupine Tree entitled "Closure/Continuation Live".
Recorded last year in Amsterdam, the deluxe edition features 2 CDs and 2 Blu-Ray Discs.
The first Blu-Ray contains the entire concert film while the second Blu-Ray contains the entire concert as an audio-only high resolution disc.
Audio options on both Blu-Rays are stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos.

porcupine-tree_closure-continuation-live_dvd_blu-ray_2.jpg

porcupine-tree_closure-continuation-live_boxset.jpg

YES! My standard was did it sound at least as good as the last PT concert film in the Netherlands. The answer is YES! The live drum sound is fantastic.

I'm not gonna rate it yet cuz I'm barely through Blackest Eyes. Saw this show at The Anthem in Dc which actually had darn good sound for a live heavy show. But it was never going to sound this good.

And the video is just stunning. HD has come a long way since the last go round. OK, going back in for the rest of the show.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I wanted to ask to open a poll, here it is.

I had high expectations for this. And: I'm not disappointed at all. Saw the tour last year and now I watched it again (twice).
The setlist is fantastic.
Sound is superb. The 5.1 and the Atmos downfold to 5.1 is excellent. Rears are used very much. And it beautifully filmed too.

A 10!

Why there is a second BDA containing the same audio content I don't understand. It would have been a good idea to put in a 4k in the deluxe edition instead, like Clapton's Lady in the balcony.

Recommended!
No need for the sold out deluxe edition, only if you want enjoy the book with photos.

I just finished watching the entire 2h30min concert, WOW
It's really made me appreciate the C-C album in a whole new way.
So good to have Steven, Gavin, Barbieri, rest, back on stage and performing.
Both the video and audio quality are top shelf to me.
Stevens solo work is good, don't get me wrong but together with the clan
they're still writing and performing the best there is in Prog Rock. (rules)
The mix isn't deeply discrete but maybe that's best for a watch video ?
I really hate to sound like some fanboy but we are so lucky to have Steven
around making all the music he does and then doing all the great remix - mastering
he's done for the older classic rock and others.
DAMN, Thanks Steven!

Another 10! Just fantastic. Great songs, great musicians, great mix (I'm listening to the Atmos mix on an 4.1.4 system). Thank you! :D(y)

I finish 2023 with my final Steven Wilson mix, of the year.

I already have a shrine to worship the unbelievable talents of this mega god.

When a listener is constantly smiling and nodding in appreciation of all that the Porcupine Three are playing, you just know that the sweet spot is reached.

No Closure here, Only full Continuation.

A Gavin, hitting every mark, 10

Simply kicks ass. I mean, nothing subtle about this, it rocks, has superior fidelity, tons of bass content and a very nice mix. Oh, and freaking Gavin, the usual machine on the kit. He's easily one of my top 5 drummers as of late. Beast...precision and a sound no one else has.

Amen on the Gavin comments, brother!

I really love this show! I like how they played the complete new album, but broke it up with so many great classic songs mixed in, instead of just tacked on at the end. The performance is awesome and the fidelity is great, but if I had one preference, I would've liked just a bit more of a studio "all around you" Atmos mix of the different instruments.

I mean, it's an amazing show that sounds awesome with great bass, but I wouldn't have minded a bit more Atmosy stuff. It seems just slightly restrained for a Steven Wilson Atmos mix. Minor complaint really though. This is an awesome show! P.S.- I even kind of like Steven's raspy sore throat sound on some of the songs. Makes it seem more gritty and real.

I have watched this through several times. If I was rating based only on Gavin's playing it would be a 10.
But alas, due to being a live performance, the sound is of course not up to studio quality. But due to very complex formula even I can't figure out (just kidding) I rate it a 10. I initially voted 9 but on afterthought changed my vote.
PT performances are always superb and the music, if not always the lyrics, resonate with me and put me in my happy place with a Prog Rock master leading the show.

Well kick my backside and call me Charlie.
(backstory: my second amp runs my surrounds and back surrounds)
Normallly don't mess with the volume on the second amp (pre out from the main AVR)
But I cranked that second amp up some, and boy howdy! For a live concert, mixed in Atmos, I don't see how Wilson could have done a better job!
Sometimes the simple things elude me.

Set aside 2.5 hours yrsterday at dusk to indulge PT CC Live. What a kickass fun show! I’ll document my recent journey to adult size Atmos playground elsewhere; I will say, after getting room correction proper, the diving board is ready!

This is the show my son and I caught in Chicago, a couple months prior. Haven’t compared the two set lists yet , feels like full show with 2-3 alternates they’d rotate in or out. Many touchstones in this show for me.

As other members have mentioned, full bass, all instruments clearly heard. The surrounds and heights are used creatively to create an enveloping sound field and then some. Richard Barbieri has a field day in Atmos placement with his arsenal of beautiful washes, impulse sounds in between or behind compelling lead synth work. He owns the rear channels much of the time.

The rhythm section of Gavin and Nate provide a pleasing full frontal assault. Every little nuance by Gavin is fully heard. His mixing contributions are clearly evident. Nate is a natural, supportive presence, switching to fretless for crucial Colin Edwin passages we all love.

MVP Randy McStine shines throughout, looking kind of like a younger John Wesley in this context. Randy is a perfect foil for SW as their guitars hovered on both sides. Really enjoyed the shots framing his singing with Steven in the background. SW was ill during the Chicago show so Randy stepped up even more on the vocals.

Epic compositions performed with stop on a dime precision; all delivered within an impressive sound field. I can ask nothing more. 10+

Last edited:
[5.1 surround mix only, no atmos]

Near perfect track selection (even a few deep cuts), excellent performance, and one of the better sounding live mixes I've ever heard. SW and PT have been standard bearers for top notch surround releases (the unexceptional Octane Twisted notwithstanding), so it's on par with what I'm expecting. Coming into hearing this I may have even been a bit complacent that this would be as good as it is.

The video quality is very good, which is worth mentioning even though this could be enjoyed immensely in only surround. They pace faster cut editing for more 'energetic' sections of music, and allow for a more reasonable cut pace during slower tracks and moments. I've seen some complaints about faster edits, and there's stylistic and artistic reasons videographers / editors make these choices. Image quality is the modern equivalent of perfection, great low light detail and vivid colors.

Pros in the surround mix would be the predominant placement of the keys at times in the rears, and the overall ambience of the 'live show'. The crowd is fairly subdue, but so was the crowd at the show I attended on this tour. It's just the nature of their introspective music. If the energy is too low, bring your enthusiasm to their next show if they ever tour again.

Only con and it's not a deal breaker, is the lowest bass guitar frequencies can be a bit overwhelming. I think it's something in the bassist's setup that hypes those lowest frequencies (as there seems to be a distinct spot in the frequency range it goes from fine to loud), and I'm sure it could have been EQ'd out.

Otherwise, Easy 10.

Last edited:
Back