The Who: Quadrophenia - Live in London Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, i've found a disc foil from my old naim player. In German you know it as "Adhäsionsfolie" most used for saving Handy display. And now ........ no terrible noise, a few second and the disc starts. Great. :banana:

Yes. But not so expansive. :mad:@:

Great! Thanks! (y)

A while back, I bought a second hand copy of Hendrix's Smash Hits W.G Polydor CD with one of those tuning sheet's stuck on it.. what a curious thing! :eek:

So I guess they do help with disc stability as is claimed if this Naim foil has helped stabilise your Quadrophenia Blu-ray! Good job! :)

I've finally managed to have a listen to the Original Album in its entirety in Surround Sound.

It's perfect - just what was missing from the Director's Cut box.

I notice they use some different takes in parts - some of Roger's vocal on Helpless Dancer "In us going wroooooong" for example, is a different vocal track to the original album. Likewise, there's extra guitar in The Punk and the Godfather (rhythm AND lead)

I've finally managed to have a listen to the Original Album in its entirety in Surround Sound.

I notice they use some different takes in parts - some of Roger's vocal on Helpless Dancer "In us going wroooooong" for example, is a different vocal track to the original album. Likewise, there's extra guitar in The Punk and the Godfather (rhythm AND lead)

Me too, mine arrived today from Amazon UK:banana:. Disc not faulty and sounds excellent.

Coincidentally, The Punk And The Godfather and Helpless Dancer were the two new 5.1 mixes that stood out to me the other week as being the most playful, inventive, discrete and.. impressive (y)

Thanks for the info on the alt. takes and different elements in those two tracks, I hadn't noticed :eek:

I've finally managed to have a listen to the Original Album in its entirety in Surround Sound. It's perfect - just what was missing from the Director's Cut box.

The 5.1 mixes on the new BR were the same as the ones on the previously released Quad box, right?

I never bought the box and it seemed a lot of people didn't think much of the mixes, but now everyone seems to love them!

The 5.1 mixes on the new BR were the same as the ones on the previously released Quad box, right?

I never bought the box and it seemed a lot of people didn't think much of the mixes, but now everyone seems to love them!

I havent A-B'd the 5.1 mixes that were on the DVD-A with the BD-A but after a couple of listens they appear to be the same (I hope to have the time to check over the weekend).

In 2012 I gave the DVD-A in the box a "7" in the QQ Poll (for what I perceived to be some inconsistent mixing and duff EQ in places but the biggest offender was certainly the 5.1 being incomplete).

I would now give the BD-A a "9", possibly even a "10". Why?

Well, here we go..

- I prefer the sound on the BD (may be identical, may be placebo effect caused by the euphoria of having the whole lot in surround at last, may be because I've upgraded my equipment since 2012 who knows? whatever it is, it sounds nicer now than I recall the DVD-A sounding.. but I will confirm to satisfy my own curiosity with an A-B shootout V.soon),
- I prefer the disc navigation/menu interface/onscreen visuals on the BD over the V.basic DVD-A,
- there's now not one but two excellent Stereo mixes & masterings on the BD-A (the DVD-A EP had only the 8 x 5.1 songs),
- some of the new 5.1 mixes are really great and mostly better than what was on the DVD-A, Helpless Dancer and Punk & The Godfather may actually be the best surround mixes on the whole album..
- and it is a standalone single disc release and not just stuck in the big Super Deluxe set..
- but most importantly of all of course it is the whole album complete in 5.1 at last -- and for all that represents as a major improvement on the DVD-A, it's got to be a "9" minimum, I could just nudge it upto a "10" because it really is tailor made for us Quaddies and just the kind of release we're always crying out for, justice has finally been done to the Quadrophenia album = Highly recommended (y)

The mixes from the Director's Cut box are the same as the Bluray yes :)

Back