HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION LIVE [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE/CONTINUATION LIVE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Voted 10. Very nice setlist and the AQ and mixes are as excellent as expected from SW.

A lot of bashing regarding the deluxe CD-Bluray set but I like it, the photo book is really good.

It's a nice package.
It should be noted the photo book is filled with great shots of the band in action. It's not just another collection of Lasse Holle nightmares.
I keep the second BD (audio only) handy in external case so I don't have to keep handling the box.

A lot of bashing regarding the deluxe CD-Bluray set but I like it, the photo book is really good.
I often regret not coughing up the big bucks for the deluxe sets because they often include some fantastic artwork in the photobook, etc. But knowing myself and the fact the I would only look thru
the photobook once or twice, and "maybe" listen to all the extra tagged on music material, When I really think about it, I just can't justify all the extra money for those sets. But by far, that's just me.
I do Wish the labels would offer some reasonably priced scans of the full photobooks on the download sites..

Finally, enjoyed at full. Amazed and exhausted.
2 hours and 30 minutes full of an splendid performance.
I don't know if between songs, Steven use to talk more to the audience, but except in one of the tracks, that aburptly begins to talk (and can appreciate the fade and cut), the rest are a continious play.
Missed too a little interlude between the acts of the show.
A curious thing that i don't know if is my TV, that some cameras show little dark like others and in Anesthetize at the hard part was a little dissapoint. I guess that have something on my TV that do that, but its the first time that i see that.
But of course is a very good product, well done in all the options.

I don't know if between songs, Steven use to talk more to the audience, but except in one of the tracks, that aburptly begins to talk (and can appreciate the fade and cut), the rest are a continious play.
A curious thing that i don't know if is my TV, that some cameras show little dark like others and in Anesthetize at the hard part was a little dissapoint. I guess that have something on my TV that do that, but its the first time that i see that.

I think what you are seeing is that in some shots the lighting is causing the camera to adjust to avoid the video from being blown out. I definitely see these dim and flat scenes as well. But they are very infrequent.

I love the mix, love the sound quality, love the song selection, love the video quality and the package as a whole.

My only wish is, since this was release after they finished touring, is that they included some of the songs played during the festivals that were not part of the of the main tour as bonus material.

The deluxe set us pretty much exactly what I wanted as a commemoration of the the tour, if I hadn't come down with COVID, I would have heard "I Drive the Hearse" live again. Luckily I was well enough to see them a week later and got the rest of the show, The audio of the discs is much better than it was in person, the bass was oppressive live.

The best part of this release is I can enjoy it anytime I want and my knees won't complain, :)

From my memory of the show and previous tours, Steven didn't speak that much, The most I remember is the first time I saw PT, when he slighted the audience for not wanting to travel. It was their first time, that I'm aware of in Albany NY 2-3 hours from their previous closest to me. I probably would have traveled, but didn't have the chance. The Nil Recurring tour was my first chance as a fan to see them.

From the shows I've seen (4-PT, 3-SW), Steven has spoken to the audience much more in his solo shows.

I recently bought the standalone Bluray -- I’m listening to the hirez 5.1 mix.

First thing that stuck out was the v high level of bass. This is partly because the sub channel comprises the isolated bass & drum tracks in full-range on the 0.1 channel (ie there’s no 80Hz low-pass filter applied at the mastering stage.) But since there is already the full bass present in the main L/R channels, you’re getting ‘double bass’. No good at all if you are using bass-management in your AVP. So the best thing would have been to have no 0.1 track on this disc at all for the best sound.

The other thing about the bass is it seems very ‘sub-bassy’. Not as much melodic bass as I would have expected from a PT record. All the notes are there, but the EQ’ing seems to be deliberately boosting the sub-bass. Great for demonstrating the subwoofer though.

Then there's a center channel issue with this disc (5.1 mix). There is content in the center -- but you would likely not realise that unless you boost it by around 16dB. Then you hear mainly Steven’s vocals with reverb & delay applied. It also seems to indicate that the vocals heard on the Bluray are actually discrete studio overdubs (or re-recorded in the concert hall) after or before the main performance seen in the video. Same thing with the drums – those too seem to be overdubs (you’ll hear this if you listen to the sub track played unfiltered through a full range speaker or headphones).

Content-wise I really enjoy the set list, apart from one or two tracks. For example, Collapse-The-Light-Into-Earth contains none of the lush harmonic layering that you enjoy on the original version on the album - In Absentia. But on the whole, the songs are faithful to the album originals. Even the guitar solos -- Randy McStine nails them pretty much perfectly.

But overall, while it’s not really a ‘live’ concert performance audio-wise (at least the drums and vocals don’t sound live to me), I really like this Bluray.

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt they went back and overdubbed all the lead vocals and all the drums for a 3 hour show. What you are hearing in those isolated channels is most likely what was picked up that night with minimal alterations—the stage microphones can be surprisingly effective at canceling bleed.

I would like to think what you are saying is true. But my ears tell me otherwise.
Ps. I do hear some bleed, but it's only select parts that are present in that bleed -- ie. such as one would use in a studio playing through monitor headphones in order to stay in sync while overdubbing.

Back