Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok-Who has an Oppo? I just got my 103 my 3rd Oppo. I started with the 970 all due to you guys. Had the 93NE. Now this one. I LOVE my Oppo!
Firmware upgrades are a pain, you have to reset to factory defaults. But that only takes a few minutes.
PQ is better, and the sound rivals my NE mod. Pretty good for the money.

PS: I sold my 970 to a member who has vanished-I imagine all due to listening.

Never had a 970 - the first DVDA player I had was a disaster as it turned out it could only play Group 1 and no others. Cannot even remember the make now.
Next up was a Yamaha somethingorother, which was fine & dandy on DVDA 5.1, but whenever you played anything stereo it automatically upmixed it, and no setting would make it stop. Weird or wot!
The third attempt was a Pioneer, and that was also dodgy so it got traded almost immediately for a Denon 1910, which on my one refused to play written discs so it was traded for a Denon 2910 that I still have to this day. A 3910 got added to the stash (we needed a player in the studio, as software DVDA players are flaky at the best of times) which is also still running.

We went Oppo for Blu-ray and got a superb BDP-83SE - the sole downside was that I had to buy an add-on circuit board for multi-region DVD & multi-Zone Blu-ray but it survives firmware updates so no real problem there and we got our 105 to get a second Blu-ray player in the studio - as well as it being network capable when we bought it the BDCMF functionality was still supposed to be there but by the time it had shipped this was already gone, replaced instead by the AVCHD trick - this has also now vanished, sadly, but it looks like this & ISO support may yet reappear via a danish website that - interestingly enough - was recommended to me by Oppo in the US when I asked how to make the player region & zone free as the place to get a circuit board to do the job & that again would survive firmware updates.

The 105 really is a superb machine, even with no ISO/BDCMF playback. It's currently running as a kind of server interface, as we have a 3TB HDD on the network (ethernet connected) that it reads very happily and along with a superb utility called "Asset UPnP" which allows it to read just about all audio files right off the PC (or Mac, if you are one of our fruit-loving friends) without copying them to the ethernet HDD in the first place (thereby allowing me to only put keepers on that drive, as well as being able to audition mixes over a HiFi setup without burning discs or copying files (one of the shared folders is the current project assets folder) so saves me stacks of time.
I also like the way it allows me to take the HDMI out from the satellite box and run the TV through the on-board video chips - it really does look a lot better, and whilst it is not a full "smart player" (who needs apps anyway) the built-in Netflix & YouTube (absolutely great for tutorials and again the quality is far superior to what you see on any computer version) come in well handy.
I won't go on about the audio quality - suffice it to say it is superb and leave it at that methinks.
Highly recommended, and Oppo's after sales support is literally second to none as well. It's hard to say enough good things about not only the players but also the company.
Absolutely, totally recommended to all.

Not sure if this is the place to ask for this, so let me know if this post may be out of place over here, but I'm interested in buying a second hand Oppo DVD player - 980, 981 or 983. The point is getting a DVD-A & SACD player that can play multichannel DSD via HDMI (I know 981 and 983 would convert DSD to multichannel PCM, but that's not a big deal to me) to complement my blu-ray player, which only plays DVD-V discs. I'm not really spending money on an universal blu-ray player right now, they're way too expensive and I'm very happy with my Samsung BD player so far.

So, if someone is willing to sell his/her old Oppo DVD player there's a buyer right here... just PM me if interested :)

Bought the BDP-83SE when it was first released, been very pleased with it and it's still going strong. Getting the upgrade itch for the either the 103 or 105.

Bought the BDP-83SE when it was first released, been very pleased with it and it's still going strong. Getting the upgrade itch for the either the 103 or 105.
Same here. I love my 83SE but am interested in the 103 and 105 because of the improved streaming interface. But I use the 7.1 analog outputs on the 83SE. I wonder how they will compare with the 103 and 105. Has anyone compared the 7.1 analog outputs on these models ?

Same here. I love my 83SE but am interested in the 103 and 105 because of the improved streaming interface. But I use the 7.1 analog outputs on the 83SE. I wonder how they will compare with the 103 and 105. Has anyone compared the 7.1 analog outputs on these models ?

My own personal experience (I have an Oppo 95) is that Room EQ with modern AVRs over HDMI improves sound more than 'higher quality' analog outputs of the high end Oppos. I have also read many opinions on the web stating same.

Additionally, 4k Blu-ray will be released in approx. 12 months so I'd wait a year before upgrading any blu-ray player. I would also presume the next round of oppos will have much better streaming features including more advanced media player interface for streaming.

My own personal experience (I have an Oppo 95) is that Room EQ with modern AVRs over HDMI improves sound more than 'higher quality' analog outputs of the high end Oppos. I have also read many opinions on the web stating same.

Additionally, 4k Blu-ray will be released in approx. 12 months so I'd wait a year before upgrading any blu-ray player. I would also presume the next round of oppos will have much better streaming features including more advanced media player interface for streaming.

And next year the model coming out the year after will have even better features. Unless there is a particular feature you really have a need for, I don't recommend waiting just because next year's model will be better.

What I understand is the analog stage on the 105 is not just a further development on the 95, but completely new engineered. I have not been able to hear them side by side, or with a 83SE. I enjoy my 105 a lot. When I purchased the machine I intended to use it as a pre amp as well, but lacked a bit of power compared to using a stand alone pre amp. (But that could well be in my set up only) For the rest it is a great machine.

What I understand is the analog stage on the 105 is not just a further development on the 95, but completely new engineered. I have not been able to hear them side by side, or with a 83SE. I enjoy my 105 a lot. When I purchased the machine I intended to use it as a pre amp as well, but lacked a bit of power compared to using a stand alone pre amp. (But that could well be in my set up only) For the rest it is a great machine.

I had the 93 with the NE mod, and Oppo told me the 103 was the same analog out dac as the NE mod for the 93.
The 105 has the advanced analog stage.

I've read the same things you have by professional reviewers and on other forums by members whose opinion I trust. I've run MCACC on my Pio Elite AVR and it supports DSD so I've tried listening via HDMI but only a few brief sessions. I couldn't determine which I preferred so I'm still using the analog outs. What should one listen for when trying to make a determination? Just trust your ears or are there specific things to listen for? I'm on vacation this week so I will have time to give the HDMI route another go.

Definitely food for thought but there are features on the current Oppo's I could certainly use now. I picked the wrong time to buy a new AVR a few years ago, being HDMI 1.3 it doesn't support ARC or 3D. So no 5.1 from Netflix/Amazon from my smart TV(it uses ARC) and no hi-rez audio from 3D blu-rays I play on a Sony 580(only 1 HDMI out). Maybe I should be looking to upgrade my AVR instead..... :confused:

I like the opposite route. Get the signal from the source to the speakers with as little interference as possible. Then deal with any problems with physical wall treatments.

I've read the same things you have by professional reviewers and on other forums by members whose opinion I trust. I've run MCACC on my Pio Elite AVR and it supports DSD so I've tried listening via HDMI but only a few brief sessions. I couldn't determine which I preferred so I'm still using the analog outs. What should one listen for when trying to make a determination? Just trust your ears or are there specific things to listen for? I'm on vacation this week so I will have time to give the HDMI route another go.

Definitely food for thought but there are features on the current Oppo's I could certainly use now. I picked the wrong time to buy a new AVR a few years ago, being HDMI 1.3 it doesn't support ARC or 3D. So no 5.1 from Netflix/Amazon from my smart TV(it uses ARC) and no hi-rez audio from 3D blu-rays I play on a Sony 580(only 1 HDMI out). Maybe I should be looking to upgrade my AVR instead..... :confused:

Definitely food for thought but there are features on the current Oppo's I could certainly use now. I picked the wrong time to buy a new AVR a few years ago, being HDMI 1.3 it doesn't support ARC or 3D. So no 5.1 from Netflix/Amazon from my smart TV(it uses ARC) and no hi-rez audio from 3D blu-rays I play on a Sony 580(only 1 HDMI out). Maybe I should be looking to upgrade my AVR instead.....

The 4k format is a long way off yet. I use my avr for audio only, the 103 has a great video processor so why interfere with it with avr processing? Same with 3d-just go straight to the tv, and use hdmi 2 for audio. 4k is going to take a long while to get popular-not a huge difference in pq, and broadcasters are just catching up to HD. All you'll have in 4k are a few movies.

The 4k format is a long way off yet. I use my avr for audio only, the 103 has a great video processor so why interfere with it with avr processing? Same with 3d-just go straight to the tv, and use hdmi 2 for audio. 4k is going to take a long while to get popular-not a huge difference in pq, and broadcasters are just catching up to HD. All you'll have in 4k are a few movies.

I think the upcoming Dolby Vision color grading technology/standard is going to be much more interesting to most people vs. 4K video. Surprising that there hasn't been more coverage of that. Not as cool as saying "4K" but..... :)
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision.html

For people in the US 4k will probably only be a niche market...at best...like blu ray...unlike Japan that will have 8k broadcasts in 5 years or less...I'm more excited about OLED displays than 4k...you get immediate improvement across the board..

For people in the US 4k will probably only be a niche market...at best...like blu ray...unlike Japan that will have 8k broadcasts in 5 years or less...I'm more excited about OLED displays than 4k...you get immediate improvement across the board..

And you will see improvement with non-4K displays with Dolby Vision. While not as flashy a name as 4K, it promises to deliver on visual improvements in the near term. Interesting times ahead.

Back